D1 Division 1 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of clubs would pick fair competition over travel you'd think, and it just works out better in terms of giving better quality games, might make it harder on reserves blokes who need to work as well, but for senior footy its a good thing

You do get the odd lopsided fixture - Mornington vs Westbourne, Wyndham vs Yarra Valley - but in the main it works well, and doesn't involve anywhere near the travelling that a lot of country leagues face.
But they don't have the travel on suburban roads, Midday Saturday is now worse than peak hour on weekdays.

3/5 last week (11/15 total)...

SMS
to remain unbeaten
PEGS to do the same
Oakleigh will get the job at home
Preston will be extremely hard to beat at home all year
Ivanhoe in a must win for the Hoes
5/5 thanks to the hoes!!...

Preston
over NOBS
Oakleigh in a thriller over Ormond
SMS will take care of Friars
Therry in my upset of the round to beat PEGS
Hoes will get another W at St. Johns

Interesting stats
- Preston has only conceded 289 points this season, at an average of 58 a game (best defense in the comp?)
- SMS have topped 100 points each game (128 points per game), i think we'd all agree they have are the divisions most impressive team thus far
- St Johns % of 73 may be the back breaker for them if they want to compete for finals (i know it's still early days and this can change, but they have leaked the most points so far this season)

Call me Ash Chua

Six rounds usually sets up a predictable season IMO.
Whilst we are not yet there,Friars have been on the back foot for quite a long time. StJohns probably won't play finals.Therry also have had a slow slide for years. Ivanhoe will survive this season. Salesian ('cos there is little old StMary's there any more) are hot to trot. Pendles, I have lots on Preston to play in and shape the final program.

Very interested to see how this top of the table clash pans out this week. Both sides undefeated however both teams have only beaten one side each in the top 5. Is the hype real at SMS after one good win against ormond? Same to be asked of PEGS as they only rolled Oakleigh in round 1 by not much. The only difference really seperating them is that two of PEGS wins werent as convincing as they probably should have been. Compare that to SMS who have been putting the bottom teams too the sword all season. The game is being played out on the runway though so PEGS should get the chocolates if they persist with they're relentless form of the last two weeks. SMS did get smashed there last year as well. Surely the winner becomes frontrunners for the flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Salesian ('cos there is little old StMary's there any more) are hot to trot. Pendles, I have lots on Preston to play in and shape the final program.
Actually there are more StMary's ex players involved in the club than Salesian (including Director of Coach Al Martello). No current Salesian old boys playing.

Horrible effort today ruined my tipping.
:mad: Owen Five
I thought the effort was ok in patches on Saturday Hedge. You got within 3 points of winning the final term. Even though Dolan kicked 6, your full back (Richards?), did a pretty good job on him and never really let Manny get off the leash. Don't loose hope, there are better times ahead.

had to venture down to Dandenong for work and managed to catch the second half of St. Johns vs Ivanhoe...I don't see these two sides getting anywhere near finals footy, disposal was putrid from both sides. I had to remind myself I was watching D1 and not D4 footy.
St. Johns seemed to dominate the mid field battle for majority but they are all really small bodied mids who seem to struggle when some bigger bodies went in for the hoes.
Delivery into the forwards from both sides was terrible.
Jocs seem to play their deck really well, but I don't see them being able to win away from home (too many passengers) Hoes seem to have a couple out but don't think they will be able to match it with anyone in the top 5.
at this stage it will be more a battle to stay out of 9th than it will be to make 4th.

from what I have seen of SMS and PEGS, SMS look the better side but have only seen PEGS once compared to SMS a few times and that was in round 1 so could be a different look now.

IMO I think the top 4 will stay as is from here on.

had to venture down to Dandenong for work and managed to catch the second half of St. Johns vs Ivanhoe...I don't see these two sides getting anywhere near finals footy, disposal was putrid from both sides. I had to remind myself I was watching D1 and not D4 footy.
St. Johns seemed to dominate the mid field battle for majority but they are all really small bodied mids who seem to struggle when some bigger bodies went in for the hoes.
Jocs seem to play their deck really well, but I don't see them being able to win away from home (too many passengers) Hoes seem to have a couple out but don't think they will be able to match it with anyone in the top 5.
at this stage it will be more a battle to stay out of 9th than it will be to make 4th.

from what I have seen of SMS and PEGS, SMS look the better side but have only seen PEGS once compared to SMS a few times and that was in round 1 so could be a different look now.

results would seem to agree with you, which is shocking when you consider both Ivanhoe and St Johns were dominant D2 sides. I'm more shocked at St. Johns, considering they blitzed the competition last season

results would seem to agree with you, which is shocking when you consider both Ivanhoe and St Johns were dominant D2 sides. I'm more shocked at St. Johns, considering they blitzed the competition last season
Good to see Steve McCarthey back umping in D1, now that is an ump that does it with common sense, not like some lately.

Good to see Steve McCarthey back umping in D1, now that is an ump that does it with common sense, not like some lately.

did he umpire the Jocs v Hoes Game? if so I thought the umpiring was great, didn't see either team complain too much either which is normally a good sign for them!

yeah don't think the quality of D2 last season was that crash hot, apart from Preston and St. Johns and maybe West Brunswick on their good day...if it had of been at the strength it was a couple of years prior I don't think St. Johns would be up in D1.
You can only play against what you come up against so promotion is promotion...don't see them lasting long in D1 though.

did he umpire the Jocs v Hoes Game? if so I thought the umpiring was great, didn't see either team complain too much either which is normally a good sign for them!

Top ump is Macca and helluva nice bloke. You can't say the latter about many of 'em. Must be going on 70 by now though.:p

Ormond looked better as the game went on and will be a handful for the other top teams. Going to be wet and windy this week , so the runway won't be to St. Mary's liking.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

5/5 thanks to the hoes!!...

Preston
over NOBS
Oakleigh in a thriller over Ormond
SMS will take care of Friars
Therry in my upset of the round to beat PEGS
Hoes will get another W at St. Johns
2/5 don't try tip upsets!!...

Ormond
6 goals
Ivanhoe 3 goals