Autopsy Rd 13 2017: Sydney v Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I said in the game thread we would win it at half time when hayward goaled and I meant it, felt what i saw in the first half was a side trailing because of two reasons

A- best players not involved
B- poor coaching

But when we had small moments we looked the better side

You can adjust both of those and we did

Yes Longmire admitted he had to change the match ups. It was as obvious as dog's balls we had to change the match ups. blind Freddy could have seen that. As soon as I saw some of the pairings I thought, Sheesh he got that wrong. But he did change them after quarter time and if Kennedy, Parker & Hannaberry (good in second half) had turned up in the first half we might have done even better. I'm just wondering when these blokes are going realise they can't have a holiday every third week.

The Young Guns won it for us yesterday. Newman's tackling, pressure and ability to strip them of the ball and then deliver was pivotal and BOG for mine. Lloyd, Heeney, Papley, Hayward (popping up at pivotal times. That mark was pure genius, it is so hard to jump straight up like that), Jones, Hewett (he did a real job on Dusty, 23) & Mills were all good. The others had their moments too. Reid was really good which is a bonus and he has been for most of the season.

Rampe was 'Bad Boy Dane' yesterday. Bad habits creeping back into his game. Needs to think about that and get on with it. Forget about the crap Dane just play footy. Kizza did his job as a small forward. A good thing he isn't working through the mids anymore as his delivery is not great. towers, Marsh & Smith didn't get much of the ball the latter two were effective after half time in the back-line but Deano as much as he did a couple of very good things was pretty quiet. I would have thought this his sort of game, playing on a fast guy. but then again his opponent wasn't that effective either.

There will probably be two changes for next week. Another tall back and a mid/forward.

We were out structured in the first quarter with Bolton carving us up as well as their smalls. The Horse decided to change the tactic and run the game out to see if those guys would get tired. Dusty not 100% great team effort after the first quarter. won contested play the last three quarters to set up the win.

I was worried about grundy being too slow but the coaching team took that out of the situation through pressure play and richmond started bombing in giving our talls down back a breather.

Dusty got dusted up by Hewee

Sam Reid kicked 2 goals, but geez he was soft in marking contests today, pretty ordinary

Reid had to contest with two to three opponents today. But even when in the marking contest against his direct opponent his arms were being taken. The umpires were terrible and he should have got at least 4 frees for illegal contact, arms taken/front on contact etc. buddy should have had at least 3 against Rance, who chops the arms every time and holds on constantly. Obviously holding and chopping are as legal now as throwing the ball or just dropping it.

Plugger would have thrown him over the fence.

#thingsthatsoundfunnybutactuallyhappened :p
Blight sent a young Crows defender out to niggle and jumper pull the great man. He later said that Pugger advised him that "If you do that again you can pick your head up back in Row 12." Apparently the kid played a bit off him for the rest of the match.

I have a bigger one for you. Why wasn't Newman elevated out of the rookies last year and consequently didn't play in the GF and McVeigh did? If anyone suggests that Newman has greatly improved over the summer pre-season, I don't need to post on this Board to have my intelligence insulted
Looked a cut above NEAFL all last year, was surprised/disappointed when Marsh was promoted. Newman should have played last year and would have been in the GF if we had promoted him.

Yep, spot on
Hats off to Naismith and Sinclair, individually they matched Nankervis who is a form ruckman, combined they gave our mids first use which was a big factor in the win. I wouldn't be rushing Tippett back, at present he's a handy back up!

I don't expect a heap from Kizza these days. And the pacey makeup up the Tigers was probably the perfect storm of how to expose him these days.

But damn he tried hard. And should have had two goals (that touched ball on replay was in no way clear enough to overturn the call).

We seem to be playing him as a roving loose transition player between the arcs. Zone boy.

He runs shoulder to shoulder with an opponent at each end (whomever he picks up) but lurks in space in between. It's basically an unaccountable role in the middle. Gaz and Towers play similar roles a lot too which is why they go invisible for long periods. Then if someone runs through this zone he follows him whereever he goes. Or if we have the ball he sprints fwd to present an option.

If we're doing well he gets fwd and gets goal assists amd goals.

When these structures collapse opponents just stream into our backline unopposed.

Kizza ran with Ellis/Edwards/Houli/Cotchin/Lambert then I stopped bothering. And that was just the first half. :huh:

Utimately he was responsible for none of them.

He's not cooked. He's doing what the coach is telling him.

What would you have done differently?

got the match ups right in the first quarter not take 2 quarters to get them all right. Not use the zone, especially the defensive zone. Needed to go one on one in the defensive half as their players were just leading out unimpeded.

Some of their goals nothing to do with zone just good reading of the pack. Their forward line is quick and hard to match up on.

the defensive zone allowed three lead up goals in the first half. He went man on man after half time in defence.

I have a bigger one for you. Why wasn't Newman elevated out of the rookies last year and consequently didn't play in the GF and McVeigh did? If anyone suggests that Newman has greatly improved over the summer pre-season, I don't need to post on this Board to have my intelligence insulted

I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the masons and illuminati.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#runsontheboard rears it's ugly head once more... Jack played with a bung hip for the first month because we needed experience and he had "runs on the board", and it cost us. We ended up playing with 21 players virtually in each of those games. Gary Rohan comes back in, despite no form, and averaging less than 10 possessions a game, because he has "runs on the board." Aliir Aliir is dropped for his poor defensive efforts, while Heath Grundy and Nick Smith are secure despite their even-worse defensive efforts, because they have "runs on the board." It's weak coaching IMO and it goes back to round one where Longmire really ****ed it up. There just wasn't any indication from day one of the 2017 campaign that Horse was wanting to change things, which is whack considering we'd now lost two grand finals. Isn't insanity defined by doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result??

Well looks like we had a different result doing the same thing.
Piss off guys.

confuses the hell out ot me. Elite speed, elite tackler, A-minus marker, A-skills A+ kick for goal..but cannot find the footy
Does a lot of work off the ball though which is really hard to see on TV and doesn't show up in stats

got the match ups right in the first quarter not take 2 quarters to get them all right. Not use the zone, especially the defensive zone. Needed to go one on one in the defensive half as their players were just leading out unimpeded.
I'll tell you what. Let's go back to the ball being knocked out of kennedy's hands start of match. 50 metres right there for shot in front.
Over turned goal against Jack. WTF commentators? Roos questioned it & they gave nothing. Two goals right there that no coaching style, game plan or match up can get back for you. Watched the replay this morning after being at the game yesterday. This is seriously corrupted s**t you can't make up. Suddenly we're 4 goals down.
No mate!
We played well to come back & stick them a fat one!

I think that's the thing... season on the line, fresh off a really impressive performance last week, and we came out in the first quarter flat as. Leaves me with very little faith for pretty much any game the rest of this season even if we did end up in the 8 somehow
It's a momentum game, we sprayed some easy chances to tighten the contest in the first and the Tigers got on a roll (top 8 teams do that at home sometimes). Luckily it's a 4 quarter game and we weren't bad for 3 of them.

Winning this game actually gives me hope in all games as I rated it as one of our hardest fixtures for the rest of the year.

Confused by the saltiness after such a win, each to their own though.

Dunstall having to suck it up while we came back was a beautiful victory within a victory. Shameful baracking once again.
The thing that shits me (apart from the obvious bias) is the inability for commentatots to call each other out or disagree. They all play along like they're one big happy family & if someone disagrees then the rest of "the boys" gang up on the dissenter & teach them a lesson. You play by their rules & follow their lead or you'll be ridiculed & probably won't have a job with them come next year.....

I'll tell you what. Let's go back to the ball being knocked out of kennedy's hands start of match. 50 metres right there for shot in front.
Over turned goal against Jack. WTF commentators? Roos questioned it & they gave nothing. Two goals right there that no coaching style, game plan or match up can get back for you. Watched the replay this morning after being at the game yesterday. This is seriously corrupted s**t you can't make up. Suddenly we're 4 goals down.
No mate!
We played well to come back & stick them a fat one!

There is no way the Jack goal should of gotten overturned that was bullshit decision, Ted its the worst umpired sport in the world soon as you come to terms with it the less stress you get from watching games.

There is no way the Jack goal should of gotten overturned that was bullshit decision, Ted its the worst umpired sport in the world soon as you come to terms with it the less stress you get from watching games.
You come to terms with 50/50 decisions that swing the home sode's way.
You never come to terms with decisions that have the benefit of a replay & s delay in the game to adjudicate the appropriate way.
The goal umpires call was a goal. That's a goal on that replay.
How often do we get pinged for 50 because a player goes to handball but ump hasn't called play on & our bloke impedes.
Not for Josh Kennedy yesterday.
Uh uh! No way. Benefit of the doubt to the Richmond player yesterday.

Yes Longmire admitted he had to change the match ups. It was as obvious as dog's balls we had to change the match ups. blind Freddy could have seen that. As soon as I saw some of the pairings I thought, Sheesh he got that wrong. But he did change them after quarter time and if Kennedy, Parker & Hannaberry (good in second half) had turned up in the first half we might have done even better. I'm just wondering when these blokes are going realise they can't have a holiday every third week.

The Young Guns won it for us yesterday. Newman's tackling, pressure and ability to strip them of the ball and then deliver was pivotal and BOG for mine. Lloyd, Heeney, Papley, Hayward (popping up at pivotal times. That mark was pure genius, it is so hard to jump straight up like that), Jones, Hewett (he did a real job on Dusty, 23) & Mills were all good. The others had their moments too. Reid was really good which is a bonus and he has been for most of the season.

Rampe was 'Bad Boy Dane' yesterday. Bad habits creeping back into his game. Needs to think about that and get on with it. Forget about the crap Dane just play footy. Kizza did his job as a small forward. A good thing he isn't working through the mids anymore as his delivery is not great. towers, Marsh & Smith didn't get much of the ball the latter two were effective after half time in the back-line but Deano as much as he did a couple of very good things was pretty quiet. I would have thought this his sort of game, playing on a fast guy. but then again his opponent wasn't that effective either.

There will probably be two changes for next week. Another tall back and a mid/forward.

Imagine if blind Freddy had dogs balls. How obvious would it have been then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back