Strategy Do we play Naitanui in the Semi Final?

Should Naitanui play in the Semi Final?

• Fcuk Yes! I want 16 rucks in the team!

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Yes, do it - now is the right time

Votes: 30 42.3%
  • No, not worth the risk

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Jack Watts eating a Subway sub has more to offer

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Its now or never.
With a weakened ruck division of GWS and being the qualifying final it is worth the risk of bringing in an underdone player of his calibre.
They are a realistic chance of beating GWS this weekend and if they do they then have a game under Nic Nats belt . If they decided not to use him this week and we won then I cant imagine they would risk bringing in an underdone player in a prelim against Richmond.
They are 2 wins from a GF berth and I believe that they will only get there if Nic Nat is tapping it down the throats of Shuey, Priddis and Mitchell.
Keep Petrie in and drop Vardy (unfortunate but someone has to make way).

They are cool looking stats, but it's important to bear in mind the sample sizes.

Naitanui only missed 2 matches in 2015 - one where we were overrun by Hawthorn late in the game after putting up a hell of a fight, and one where we destroyed Fremantle in the first quarter but then took the foot off the pedal a little after 1/4 time (outscored 8 goals to 10 in the last three quarters but still won by 4 goals).

He missed 8 matches in 2016, which is why his impact isn't as great during that time - the more games he missed, the less the stats are skewed by outliers.

I think the impact re: CP is legit - he himself averages almost 10 contested possessions per game in recent times, which is double Vardy's output - not to mention the increased hit outs to advantage.

But the other stats, especially 4th Quarter scoring (given the nature of the two games missed in 2015), aren't as significant as they look.

In saying all that, I want him IN.

#rollthedice

No way is he ready. If you've seen that video the club posted yesterday he looks slow, tentative and nowhere near his explosive beastly best. If i was an opposition player and i saw a guy come on the field favouring one side as much as he is at the moment i'd keep smashing him on his bad leg (legally) til he went off. I'd reward the guys that got us this far and see how we go. Even if we win this we're unlikely to get any further so give Nic another pre-season.

No way is he ready. If you've seen that video the club posted yesterday he looks slow, tentative and nowhere near his explosive beastly best. If i was an opposition player and i saw a guy come on the field favouring one side as much as he is at the moment i'd keep smashing him on his bad leg (legally) til he went off. I'd reward the guys that got us this far and see how we go. Even if we win this we're unlikely to get any further so give Nic another pre-season.

Get Ryder or Darcy or some other ruckman and see how they perform Nic doesn't need to be fit as a midfielder..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My point is Ruckmen aren't that mobile at speed they look clumsy and slow ..

Nic has always had explosive burst pace around a stoppage and thats been one of his main assets, If he doesnt have that and cant leap, he's not fit enough to play. He cant even change direction properly yet coz hes favouring one knee. If we play him it will be a mistake imo.

Nic has always had explosive burst pace around a stoppage and thats been one of his main assets, If he doesnt have that and cant leap, he's not fit enough to play. He cant even change direction properly yet coz hes favouring one knee. If we play him it will be a mistake imo.

I m not expecting the explosive pace or repeat tackles or he needs is jump and compete and lumber around like Sandi ..

I m not expecting the explosive pace or repeat tackles or he needs is jump and compete and lumber around like Sandi ..

But thats not his game because he's not 7ft tall. We're better off leaving him til he's fully ready, and the guys that got us here deserve the opportunity to see how far they can go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was hobbling around like an old moll we would have put him on ice weeks ago. I heard the physio this morning saying he's up and about and is now several weeks into "unexpected scenarios" training (which I assume is match simulation). Other reports have him begging for over a month for a run at EP.. denied probably because the MC thought our season was over.

But now we are here and as others have stated Mumford going down presents basically the perfect scenario to fit him in. If you aren't going to play him now then why have him at risk at all? There's zero benefit giving him another week on the sidelines only to ramp up the risk of playing him in a prelim. You just wouldn't do it. But NicNat coming in now could change everything.

It doesn't really matter if Nic is at 50% or 75%. The issue is whether he can be better and contribute more than the person he replaces. When it comes to the ruck then he is better than anyone else period. Around the ground it's a different story. Varda was pretty good against Port. He was responsible for that Kennedy goal in extra time and generally competed well around the ground. Nic has to be assessed as better than whoever he replaces around the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But thats not his game because he's not 7ft tall. We're better off leaving him til he's fully ready, and the guys that got us here deserve the opportunity to see how far they can go.

I think he will modify his game now till next year when he will be fitter ..

But the exciting thing is his leap and giving 1st use to our mids is all I want at this stage ..

Up to the the Eagles Doctors to clear him to play ....if and when that might happen .
Dr_Nick.png

The other thing sticking out like dogs balls was the Jetta slingshot clearances. Sticking out because basically we haven't done it all year as we are always defensive at set pieces, conceding the hit outs. Alternatively Nicnat hitting fast forward moving midfielders on the button for breakaway clearances are devastating pieces of play.

Last edited:
Not enough forward pressure in that scenario for mine. Kennedy, Darling, Petrie, Resting Ruckman plus cripps and sheed is waaayyy too top heavy. Great if we can get quality ball in there but finals pressure rarely allows that so once it hits the deck we need some guys who can put on repeat pressure acts to try and keep the ball in.

Drop darling to lecras role drop leras use Petrie as CHF and chuck in vardy and nat
more sensible than some - Nic lurking deep would demand a response as well. Either he draws a tall to takes a few marks allowing us to bomb long under pressure (we should have time to drill this new approach)

But he is still not match fit - the problems, the options, the opportunities:)

Back