Opinion I've lost my faith in Ken Hinkley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
After much thought and deliberation I have come to my conclusion on coach Hinkley.

After 5 years I think it is time. We only got there this year due to the very even competition. We were lucky to make 1 final.

If the club cannot see that we need another influence to take this list into the top for then we are frakked.

I like Hinkley, he took us from basket case to Not basket case and I thank him for this. But for us to make the next step I think he needs to be moved now.

If we wait 1 more year then the players eg. Boak, Westhoff are 1 year older. We need to act now.

But this club has not made a really strong move, before being forced to, in a very long time. The last big move was Cahill moving over for choco, before that, Ebert for Cahill.

This needs to happen again and this off season.

But sadly it won't.

After much thought and deliberation I have come to my conclusion on coach Hinkley.

After 5 years I think it is time. We only got there this year due to the very even competition. We were lucky to make 1 final.

If the club cannot see that we need another influence to take this list into the top for then we are frakked.

I like Hinkley, he took us from basket case to Not basket case and I thank him for this. But for us to make the next step I think he needs to be moved now.

If we wait 1 more year then the players eg. Boak, Westhoff are 1 year older. We need to act now.

But this club has not made a really strong move, before being forced to, in a very long time. The last big move was Cahill moving over for choco, before that, Ebert for Cahill.

This needs to happen again and this off season.

But sadly it won't.

Not saying I disagree, but our core senior players have continually let the club down over the past three years. Game plan or coaching cannot excuse some of the pathetic efforts that have been dished up, particularly in midfield, in some losses.

If trengove leaves, he will be the first senior player the club have let go in a long time. After 2014 everyone got big-headed, complacent and forgot what it was that got them into finals.

Since the injection of youth in the team this year, most across the team areas have improved.

At this point in time what potential replacements are there for Ken?

Hinkley will coach us next year.

Hinkley is the main man.

Hinkley will rise above the Facebook heroes.

Yeah but for you that means finishing 12-10 and losing a final, so we will look forward for that.

Not saying I disagree, but our core senior players have continually let the club down over the past three years. Game plan or coaching cannot excuse some of the pathetic efforts that have been dished up, particularly in midfield, in some losses.

If trengove leaves, he will be the first senior player the club have let go in a long time. After 2014 everyone got big-headed, complacent and forgot what it was that got them into finals.

Since the injection of youth in the team this year, most across the team areas have improved.

At this point in time what potential replacements are there for Ken?
Yes some senior players have failed when we needed them to bring it all home. And these are the same senior players which did the same before Hinkley arrived, I cannot argue that.

And with that, Hinkley has failed to weed out those who can win games when it matters. He has had 5 years to mold a team to his liking. His team he has assembled still falls over when they should not.

The team he has built is on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Likely signed for 3 more seasons. I can only pray they will be as impressive with Hinkley at the helm as the last 3.

Confirmed (also FB): "Ken Hinkley will definitely coach the Power in 2018 with the AFL and Gold Coast confirming Gold Coast will not pursue Hinkley for the vacant Gold Coast senior coaching job."

This all raises a lot of questions to me about what horse trading has been going on behind the scenes but which I am too tired to ask right now :)

Last edited:
I don't think you can discount the fact that this season was a step in the right direction. Say what you want about fixtures, injuries, suspensions, etc, but the fact is we played finals for the first time in 3 years, finished in 5th spot on the ladder with a 14-8 record, and were highly competitive in nearly every game we played. Given that, I can't shake the feeling that if we didn't sack Ken last September, there's not really a strong argument to do it this September.

Contract extensions are a different matter altogether. I see no reason to extend Ken beyond 2018. Next year will be a great litmus test. And it's hard to determine exactly what a pass mark for next year is given the shifting landscape of our list. If we hit the trade/free agency market hard, say bringing in Motlop and Rockliff, and then back all of our experienced guys in to go again, nothing less than a top 4 finish will really suffice. But if we continue to go down the youth path we headed down late in the season, just holding our ground and making the finals could be seen as a success.

Interesting times and big decisions ahead.

Giving him 2 more years at this point would be a very very brave call. One that needs to be well thought out, not just "oh * GC might take him quick here's an extension" What if we don't make finals next year? We're stuck with an underperforming coach for a looooong time. Remember what happened last time we re-signed an underperforming coach? Anyone?

It probably takes 5 years for a coach to recalibrate the playing squad, weed out those that are bad for the culture and get the playing squad to the point he is happy with - Ken should now be relatively optimistic about the coming years at the PAFC and should be keen to make his mark in our history books.

taking on the GC is a complete rebuild and is only going to appeal to a select few. Crikey, what a genuine mess. They should have stuck with Guy McKenna.

To be fair, shouldn't an even season make it even harder to make the finals?

This is also year 1 of a completely different game style. Ken gets a pretty solid B from me this year.

The biggest gaffe of his tenure was the non selection of Jacko against the Eagles so he will need to live with that.

From a purely factual analysis PAFC had a 'pass year' finishing 5th at the end of the home and away season.
Drill down and it is obvious that we had a 'average year'.
1. Sydney WIN - exhilarating feeling after the game - finally did it!
2. Freo WIN - thrashed a trashy side but hey we are good right? bottom 6 side
3. ADL LOSS - had moments in the game to win but oh well
4. GWS LOSS - Ryder out and found wanting because of lack of talls - SELECTION
5. Carlton WIN - Thrashed a woeful side - bottom 6 side
6. Brisbane WIN - Thrashed a woeful side - bottom 6 side
7. West C LOSS - OUT COACHED
8. GC WIN - Thrashed a poor side in Chine - bottom 6 side
9. Geelong LOSS - a great game - could have gone either way
10. Hawthorn WIN - destroyed them in the first half - poor second half
11. Essondon LOSS - capitulation -
12. Collingwood WIN - Bottom 6 side
13. Brisbane WIN - bottom 6 side
14. Richmond LOSS - soundly beaten by better side
15. West C WIN - a great win
16. North WIN - thrashed bottom 6 side
17. Melb LOSS -
18. Saints WIN - won with the last play of the night
19. ADL LOSS - thrashing
20. Collingwood WIN - Bottom 6 side
21. WB WIN - great win on a neutral ground
22. GC WIN - thrashed a bottom 6 side

9 wins against bottom 6 sides
1 win against Sydney who finished 6
1 win against West Coast who finished 8
1 win against WB who finished 10
1 win against Saints who finished 11
1 win against Hawks who finished 12

From a purely factual analysis PAFC had a 'pass year' finishing 5th at the end of the home and away season.

14. Richmond LOSS - soundly beaten by better side

LOL what a load of revisionist s**t. Richmond were the better side and we were soundly beaten?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back