Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

How'd your top up with missing flag pieces go?

It came up short.

What is your point? If anything Norths 2014 to 2016 run highlights that we should have brought in one or two more players, which is exactly what I am stating with Gibbs.

If our 2015 side had to overcome 2017 Geelong & Richmond it would romp in the flag.

There's less available information with Gibbs. He's played only a couple of his years as an inside/outside midfielder. Most of his career was as an unaccountable half back, so we don't know how durable his body is in his current role. Could start to break down quickly, which is why you don't factor in anything other than the norm. Which is that at 29 years old, we'll get 2-3 years at his current level before he declines. He could go for 6 more years or he could fall apart at 31. You don't factor either into the value at the trade table, you take the middle ground.

He plays a Goddard style kick behind the play midfielder role. This would be very potent considering Adelaide's forward power.

Anyway, it's long odds of happening if Carlton's stance last season is anything to go by.

Gibbs can find it and can distribute it....would you honestly prefer the ball in a Crouch brothers hand or Gibbs? Dare I suggest Gibbs would be the preferred option by the Crows coaching staff and wouldn't struggle but would excel in a better team.

Im not here to discuss value really as that is what it will be if the teams agree. I am only here to ask the question when supporters try to devalue players so they get them on the cheap in their minds. Rating Douglas ahead of Gibbs is simple, but hey you didn't want to pick that poster up on it...

Gibbs would be an upgrade on Douglas, no doubt. But the question is the price you'd pay to upgrade him. Pendles would be an upgrade on Gibbs, what would you send Collingwood's way with Gibbs to get that deal done?

It came up short.

What is your point? If anything Norths 2014 to 2016 run highlights that we should have brought in one or two more players, which is exactly what I am stating with Gibbs.

If our 2015 side had to overcome 2017 Geelong & Richmond it would romp in the flag.

So, we overpay for Gibbs, get it wrong like you did and handicap ourselves going forward. At least you guys didn't deliberately over-spend and mortgage more of your next tilt for this failed version. No successful side has deliberately over-spent on a player. I'm not suggesting we don't go after Gibbs again, I'm suggesting that because it's a tricky business and you don't always get it right, one absolute truth remains in all trade and contract situations, do not deliberately overpay for any player.

He plays a Goddard style kick behind the play midfielder role. This would be very potent considering Adelaide's forward power.

Anyway, it's long odds of happening if Carlton's stance last season is anything to go by.

Who's playing that role in our system at the moment. We're quite structured behind the ball, I'm not convinced we'll change how we set up to accommodate Gibbs, which is why his value might not be as high as some on the outside think it might be to us. We've inside info that we've looked at Rocky and determined that he's absolutely not a need in terms of the type of player he is and where he would fit into our midfield. You might think Gibbs would look good as an unaccountable floater behind the ball in our side, our coaching group might not want one and he'll need to play as a stoppage mid. He's worth our first rounder and that's all we should pay and I'm pretty sure that if we offer up any more than that, it won't be much more.

So, we overpay for Gibbs, get it wrong like you did and handicap ourselves going forward.

I think you missed my point mate. We only got it wrong because we didn't bring one or two more players in to compliment Waite/Higgo/Dal. Their recruitment's certainly weren't wrong.

At least you guys didn't deliberately over-spend and mortgage more of your next tilt for this failed version. No successful side has deliberately over-spent on a player. I'm not suggesting we don't go after Gibbs again, I'm suggesting that because it's a tricky business and you don't always get it right, one absolute truth remains in all trade and contract situations, do not deliberately overpay for any player.

Point well made. The players we recruited were RFA/UFA types.

I'm of the view that the crows need to strike in the next couple of years or they will miss out. GWS are only going to get better and are on target to reach triple premier status. Other clubs are also looming in the rear view mirror.

A

That's Adelaide's perogative just excersise it , as long as the unsettling influence targeting Bryce Gibbs stops.
What the Crows stooped to last year via media was purial and unprofessional. Bryce is a quality player otherwise we would not be still debating his probable value after 300 pages .
Adelaide didnt target Gibbs. If you knew anything you would know his partner was suffering from PND and needed the support of her family to cope. So Bryce approched Adelaide to see if he could arrange a trade to get his partner back to her family for the support needed.
Both her and his family were pissed at Carlton for not trading him and I understand the AFLPA has had meetings with Carlton over it.
So it was hardly an Adelaide ploy to get him, otherwise they would have done the trade.
Carlton missread the situation and thought we needed to get mids in to compete and thought he could take advantage with that.
And with Adelaide speaking to the media, it was the media who had heard about Bryce wanting a trade who put it to us and we just answered the question.
The only reason this thread keeps on going is you have a player that doesnt want to be at your club and will request another trade this year.

Gibbs can find it and can distribute it....would you honestly prefer the ball in a Crouch brothers hand or Gibbs? Dare I suggest Gibbs would be the preferred option by the Crows coaching staff and wouldn't struggle but would excel in a better team.

Im not here to discuss value really as that is what it will be if the teams agree. I am only here to ask the question when supporters try to devalue players so they get them on the cheap in their minds. Rating Douglas ahead of Gibbs is simple, but hey you didn't want to pick that poster up on it...
You need to be realistic about Gibbs value as well. I remember reading your board years ago when he was the resident whipping boy. He was a soft underachiver and many wanted him out. Never been AA, and won one B&F. Sounds alot like Douglas at Adelaide.
He is 29 next year and is on the downward slide. His best years are behind him and he may give 3 more years of service. Add to that the fact that we dont need him, have better mids than him, and his value is at best a late first rounder.
The issue isnt that you dont want him, nor that we need him. Its that he has personal issues and wants to be with his family. So any fight you have is with Bryce himself.

Gibbs would be an upgrade on Douglas, no doubt. But the question is the price you'd pay to upgrade him. Pendles would be an upgrade on Gibbs, what would you send Collingwood's way with Gibbs to get that deal done?

You dont win flags by pulling your punches. Time will tell if Adelaide were right in their decision, but for Carlton we already know the club has made the right calls all the way.

You have to win the flag otherwise there'll always be the "what if" factor. Thats what you get for hedging your bets.

Adelaide didnt target Gibbs. If you knew anything you would know his partner was suffering from PND and needed the support of her family to cope. So Bryce approched Adelaide to see if he could arrange a trade to get his partner back to her family for the support needed.
Both her and his family were pissed at Carlton for not trading him and I understand the AFLPA has had meetings with Carlton over it.
So it was hardly an Adelaide ploy to get him, otherwise they would have done the trade.
Carlton missread the situation and thought we needed to get mids in to compete and thought he could take advantage with that.
And with Adelaide speaking to the media, it was the media who had heard about Bryce wanting a trade who put it to us and we just answered the question.
The only reason this thread keeps on going is you have a player that doesnt want to be at your club and will request another trade this year.

Amateur arrogance from Reid and the main reason the negotiations went the way they did. Roo nostril sfellowing at asking price all the way from the boardroom. Handled poorly by Adelaide and Crows supporter anger getting vented entirely at SOS? Please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

]

Do you have any proof of this? AFLPA absolutely should not get involved when the player is trying to break a contract. Gil Mclaughlan publicly lauded Carlton for sticking to their guns and making a contract mean something.

Are you saying we tried to take advantage of Adelaide? Dude, seriously...we simply didn't want him to leave. It was Adelaide trying to take advantage of us by putting in a pretty soft offer...Ricciuto himself said publicly afterwards that Adelaide thought Carlton would break and give in.

I don't know how there could be any argument defending Reid here...it was amateurish the way he revealed it to the media, he could have just brushed the question off and deflected like others do. Then publicly berating Carlton as being stubborn and unreasonable is really poor form, considering he's the one trying to take one of our top 3 players for pick 13 and a third rounder when he had another 3 years on his contract.

Stop being so biased dude and think objectively for one second.

They don't overpay though, do they?

The Hawks effectively gave up pick 9 and the rights over pick 16 for a 27yo Burgoyne with a questionable knee. That's certainly more than what was being asked for Gibbs last year. Given what I've read about Crows posters valuation of Gibbs, that would've been considered overpaying without the benefit of hindsight on how well he ended up playing for so long. You could say Burgoyne was a B grade player who played a few A grade games at Hawthorn as much as you could say it about Gibbs at Carlton, but his value was more in what he brought to the Hawks list.

I'm just pointing out it's clearly a different strategy to keep your picks and head to the draft when the alternative is snagging a quality senior player who will contribute to a contending list in the shorter term. Such a strategy might pay off; it might not. The same applies for Carlton, in keeping a senior player to assist the kid's development, instead of drafting a young late first round players who may well still be around in 10 years from now. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Amateur arrogance from Reid and the main reason the negotiations went the way they did. Roo nostril sfellowing at asking price all the way from the boardroom. Handled poorly by Adelaide and Crows supporter anger getting vented entirely at SOS? Please.
Gibbs is in contract with Carlton, they can do as they wish with him. But it didnt hurt us, obviously.
Gibbs and Carlton are the ones who missed out.

Do you have any proof of this? AFLPA absolutely should not get involved when the player is trying to break a contract. Gil Mclaughlan publicly lauded Carlton for sticking to their guns and making a contract mean something.

Are you saying we tried to take advantage of Adelaide? Dude, seriously...we simply didn't want him to leave. It was Adelaide trying to take advantage of us by putting in a pretty soft offer...Ricciuto himself said publicly afterwards that Adelaide thought Carlton would break and give in.

I don't know how there could be any argument defending Reid here...it was amateurish the way he revealed it to the media, he could have just brushed the question off and deflected like others do. Then publicly berating Carlton as being stubborn and unreasonable is really poor form, considering he's the one trying to take one of our top 3 players for pick 13 and a third rounder when he had another 3 years on his contract.

Stop being so biased dude and think objectively for one second.
I think its best that Gibbs stays at Carlton. Thats my objective thought, thats my wish. But unfortunately that isnt going to happen.

Unfortunately bad comparison, Weitering is a no 1 pick, either CHB or CHF which we need who doesn't want to go home.

But if he did want to leave and was surplus too needs and we were in the window like the Crows are, then I just might...

Lever while being a pick 14, is OOC and if you believe what you hear wants to go home.

Adelaide will need to make a deal for this debats sake Melbourne, if you don't like pick 28 then make it a rising player of theirs (like I originally said)
What pick Weitering and Lever were taken at is only a small % of their worth now. Both first rounders, however, Lever has more runs on the board and has shown more at AFL level. He is worth just as much as Weitering, probably more.

Gibbs is in contract with Carlton, they can do as they wish with him. But it didnt hurt us, obviously.
Gibbs and Carlton are the ones who missed out.

Gibbs is a quality footballer in his prime , in a midfield that lacks depth. We didn't miss out, thanks for the concern though.

A pick in the teens is as much as I would offer for Gibbs. We don't need him, but he could be the "cherry on top".

So, we overpay for Gibbs, get it wrong like you did and handicap ourselves going forward. At least you guys didn't deliberately over-spend and mortgage more of your next tilt for this failed version. No successful side has deliberately over-spent on a player. I'm not suggesting we don't go after Gibbs again, I'm suggesting that because it's a tricky business and you don't always get it right, one absolute truth remains in all trade and contract situations, do not deliberately overpay for any player.
You want to buy Gibbs? You will not be paying for what he did as a flanker 4 years ago, you'll be paying for the last 2 years. By the way Gibbs had a better year than Pendlebury.

Gibbs is leaving carlton. Once the season is over he will once again request a move back to adelaide to play for the afc.
His manager nigel carmody and tom petroro are working through the details with both clubs. There wont be a repeat of last trade period. The deal will get done.
I think the deal will be more than what the afc want to give up and for carlton less than what they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back