List Mgmt. Pick 69 - Logan Austin 197cm KPD

Remove this Banner Ad

Has had a rough year. I thought he was unlucky in both frees in the last quarter. Beard clearly clutched Austin’s arm as he was falling over his own feet - totally sucked the umpire in. It wasn’t a big concern of mine anyway. The far bigger problem was the team playing an hour of football without scoring a goal.

He is a great height, agile, fast and seems to have reasonable endurance. His kicking is excellent, he marks well and he seems to read the play well.

He has had a very average year, below what we hoped. He's last year was excellent and was probably above what was expected.

Now we need KPFs more than KPDs. I think Austin would be the perfect third tall forward to complement Dixon and Marshall.

He hasn't been great all season, but he shows some really promising signs. Not worth trading, would yield little. I thought he played reasonably well today. But as a defender you make 3-4 mistakes and you pay for it.

You persevere with Austin for sure. He's the fifth tall defender at present but could leap frog others with an excellent preseason, especially given his height and potential build.

We need to make a call on how Howard is going to be developed. I have no doubt he is a better defender than forward, but we need to resist the temptation to use him as a second ruck.

Fast track Frampton into the AFL side in early games next year, especially against weaker opposition. Give Ladhams more SANFL rucking opportunities. Start looking at tall forward prospects who complement Dixon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Third year. Howard was no better IMO. At least Austin held a couple of marks. Howard had a stinker and looked completely uninterested.

Howard probably knows that this was his last ever SANFL game and didn't come mentally prepared for it

When Austin came into the Power line up in the latter half of last season he looked like a potential long term tall defender.

That consecutive dodging and weaving while showing the ball to 3 North Melbourne players, one of whom was Harvey, even suggested he could be something a bit special, as an ordinary player simply shouldn't have been capable of a move like that, but geez did he go backwards this season.

Still we shouldn't be so surprised because it just seems to happen at Alberton, who would have thought that one of the most sort after players in the comp of not that long ago, ie Chad Wingard could have gone backwards so quickly.
This season Chad was barely a shadow of the player he looked like becoming. :(

He is under contract for 2018 so no way he will be delisted.

He's also a 22 year old KPD who has only been on our list for 3 seasons. He certainly seems to have regressed this season but delist, carn. o_O

Last edited:
He was truly awful yesterday and also in that game against Melbourne at the 'G. Hard to tell how much the lack of pre season has affected him. With the amount of KPD depth on our list, next year is make or break for him.

lacked core strength badly this year, always falling down and unable to hold his position in a contest, which results in frees or opposition marks.
if he can start doing the simple things like that well, he will be fine as he has the rest.

I think young tall defenders have a harder time at SANFL level than AFL sometimes. Getting caught one out in the goal square against a fat s**t isn't easy for young players and to be fair isn't really transferable to AFL level (except against Tom Hawkins).

I remember watching a young Tom Clurey play AFL and in preseason games and thinking he would be a star and then seeing him at the Magpies two weeks later and being so disappointed.

Be patient guys he is a 2 year player, he has potential

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Also back from a serious broken leg injury last game last year...give him some grace to get this year out the way and come back next year with a full pre-season. I still think he has potential and at 197cm and still young (only 21) worth persevering with.

He'll be much better for an uninterrupted preseason. Was growing great guns til he broke his leg late last year.

Expect a leap forward in 2018.

We should almost make this the headline when you come in here to comment on Austin. Players being somewhat inconsistent and down on form after a broken leg is the absolute accepted norm. I honestly think most people passing judgment on his season don't know that he suffered an injury. Was somewhat overshadowed by Howard's injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back