Apples' Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kirby will be a bust, that’s why Tigers didn’t pick him up and we took him late. Face it will struggle

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's not a bust yet, why write him off on this, wait until he gets a full preseason and then make a judgement, even then might need some more time. He's shown he is capable at VFL level just needs to get himself right.

Kirby will be a bust, that’s why Tigers didn’t pick him up and we took him late. Face it will struggle

Bit early to predicting he'll be a bust given he surprised with his VFL form this year and beyond any expectation did enough to merit a senior debut. Richmond thinking they'd get him as a free hit in the rookie draft as a nominated NGA player is likely the only reason they didn't grab him in the draft. I'm yet to hear 1 Tigas supporter say they're happy they missed on him.

He is the exact type of player you take the risk on.

We will have a clearer picture at the end of next year.......back the boy in legendstatus.

Yep, KK is definitely worth a punt. He needs good strong role models and inspiring figures around him, and an environment in which he'll really WANT to realise his potential as AFL footballer. His performances have shown that there is a heap of raw potential; just needs to tap into it, and that might take more than just 1-2 years.

Bit early to predicting he'll be a bust given he surprised with his VFL form this year and beyond any expectation did enough to merit a senior debut. Richmond thinking they'd get him as a free hit in the rookie draft as a nominated NGA player is likely the only reason they didn't grab him in the draft. I'm yet to hear 1 Tigas supporter say they're happy they missed on him.
Not sure that’s the case, they only got a free hit at him last year if he was overlooked in both the ND and RD. McCarthy was a StKilda NGA prospect and we picked him up as a rookie.

Kirby has every element of his game ready to succeed except fitness. My bet is he'll get there eventually whether this preaseason or next. It's easier to fix than a lack of talent is. I reckon he'll prove a few wrong.

1. Tom Phillips 6:08
2. Josh Smith 6:09
3. James Aish 6:36
4. Rupert Wills 6:41
5. Brayden Maynard 6:42
6. Brayden Sier 6:48
7. Tom Langdon 6:52
8. Jackson Ramsay 7:00
9. Matthew Sharenberg 7:00
10. Mason Cox 7:01
11. Darcy Moore 7:04
12. Josh Daicos 7:05
13. Sam McLarty 7:17
14. Kayle Kirby 8:05

Very happy to see the two big bodied young 'uns fit enough to run such good times. Hoping the Rupe is on fire next season.

Not sure that’s the case, they only got a free hit at him last year if he was overlooked in both the ND and RD. McCarthy was a StKilda NGA prospect and we picked him up as a rookie.

True, they may well have planned to take him at 53 or any of their other late ND picks or in the RD. I think they only had the 1 pick in the 20's before we grabbed Kirby and they used that on Bolton which was a no-brainer.

Very happy to see the two big bodied young 'uns fit enough to run such good times. Hoping the Rupe is on fire next season.

Be nice to see, could be the inside mid beast we need.

1. At 18 years of age he would have been leading VFL goal kicker last year.
2. The club recognizes his abilities & the areas he needs to work on (as they do with the rest of the list)
3. When Collingwood selected KK at pick 50 Richmond still had other live selections

We are all entitled to our opinions but there needs to be a bit of a basis to support one's claim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the talk about Kirby seems to revolve around unrealistic expectations. He was not the instant saviour that we crave.
He is clearly a very good footballer. The performances and attention paid by opponents in VFL show this.
He is not midfielder fit, and may never be.
He is forward pocket fit and should get better.
He is fast over short distances. We need this.
He does not have a lot of endurance at present. He may always be a frequent interchange player.
The important thing is that he is a footballer. Most clubs have gone too far towards athletes and too far from footballers. I realize that most of the banter here about his endurance and supposed eating habits is meant to be amusing, but it is probably time to give it a rest.
As the purveyors of the stuff that drives some players to depression we need to be mindful of what we are doing, even on a forum like this. We don't want even a small part in ruining one of our own.

Most of the talk about Kirby seems to revolve around unrealistic expectations. He was not the instant saviour that we crave.
He is clearly a very good footballer. The performances and attention paid by opponents in VFL show this.
He does not have a lot of endurance at present. He may always be a frequent interchange player.
The important thing is that he is a footballer. Most clubs have gone too far towards athletes and too far from footballers. I realize that most of the banter here about his endurance and supposed eating habits is meant to be amusing, but it is probably time to give it a rest.
As the purveyors of the stuff that drives some players to depression we need to be mindful of what we are doing, even on a forum like this. We don't want even a small part in ruining one of our own.

What is unrealistic about expecting a guy that’s spent 12 months in the system running an acceptable time trial time? Over 8 mins is suburban football standard. I’m not going to speculate on his future in the game, but that time is poor with all the access he has to facilities, staff and resources in general.

The important thing is that he is a footballer. Most clubs have gone too far towards athletes and too far from footballers

This is the key. As others have noted, you can't teach what Kirby has in terms of footy smarts and skills, but they can be developed further. His fitness, if he stays in the system, will improve, and this is obviously a focus of the club.

He's still in the category of 'exciting prospect', but for me in 2018 Kirb's is right up there in anticipation.

This is the key. As others have noted, you can't teach what Kirby has in terms of footy smarts and skills, but they can be developed further. His fitness, if he stays in the system, will improve, and this is obviously a focus of the club.

He's still in the category of 'exciting prospect', but for me in 2018 Kirb's is right up there in anticipation.

The game does naturally need to re-adjust more toward footballers than athletes, IMO, but in order to keep up at AFL level and not be gassed 10 minutes into matches you need to have some level of AFL fitness. This result suggests Kirby is still a very long way off that.

It’s the same for guys that are slow through the midfield. Even if you can win the ball with the best of them if you’re bottom 1% for speed league wide, let alone by position, you will struggle.

The game does naturally need to re-adjust more toward footballers than athletes, IMO, but in order to keep up at AFL level and not be gassed 10 minutes into matches you need to have some level of AFL fitness. This result suggests Kirby is still a very long way off that.

It’s the same for guys that are slow through the midfield. Even if you can win the ball with the best of them if you’re bottom 1% for speed league wide, let alone by position, you will struggle.

I agree with you, in that the days of AFL footballers getting by on footy ability alone, and lacking fitness, and to some extent speed, are obviously gone. I think with Kirby, we have to aim for getting him up to best possible fitness level he can achieve, and combine that with his progression as a footballer. He has 2018 to improve in these areas, and yes apparently some way to go with his fitness. Maybe he needs a ‘Ben Johnson’ type to mentor and push him?

Last edited:
Getting a wee bit excited

DOovYbnWAAA_5UW.jpg

DOovYbvX4AAQ_fC.jpg

DOovYbtXcAAIGIA.jpg

DOovYc9XkAI8c9m.jpg

12:28 PM - 15 Nov 2017

A salient point about all the food stuff.
Pause.
Perhaps time to leave that by the wayside.

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back