Scott: Waite's best footy is ahead of him

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-14/injured-roo-facing-delayed-start-to-year

In other good news for North, veteran goalkicker Jarrad Waite has enjoyed an excellent preparation ahead of his 16th AFL season.

Waite, who has just turned 35, was restricted to 10 games last year by shoulder and calf injuries.

But he will play in the AFLX tournament and Scott is bullish about his prospects this year.

"It is a strange thing to say about someone of his age, but he feels - and I agree with him - that his best footy is ahead of him, and he's obviously played some high level footy in the past," Scott said.

I know the "potential" of Waite has been somewhat of a running joke on here but surely Scott doesn't actually believe this? A 35 year old KPF in no way has his best football ahead of him, wouldn't he have been better plugging a younger bloke then Waite?

Coming out and say Ben Brown has his best football ahead of him would make much more sense then pinning hopes on Waite performing. If I was a North fan I know which player I'd want the coach talking up the future of and it isn't the 35 year old who is probably into his last season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-14/injured-roo-facing-delayed-start-to-year

I know the "potential" of Waite has been somewhat of a running joke on here but surely Scott doesn't actually believe this? A 35 year old KPF in no way has his best football ahead of him, wouldn't he have been better plugging a younger bloke then Waite?

Coming out and say Ben Brown has his best football ahead of him would make much more sense then pinning hopes on Waite performing. If I was a North fan I know which player I'd want the coach talking up the future of and it isn't the 35 year old who is probably into his last season.
Scott's optimism rivals cricketers wearing white zinc on their noses, playing in England.

Statistics say Waite is closer to finishing than experiencing his best

Waite will be 35y48d at North's opening game. Most games played from that age:

Ma|Player|Club(s)|Career
\89|Bradley, Craig|Ca|1986-2002
\79|Harvey, Brent|NM|1996-2016
\76|Fletcher, Dustin|Es|1993-2015
\70|Tuck, Michael|Ha|1972-1991
\58|Cumberland, Vic|Me,St|1898-1920
\53|Rankin, Teddy|Ge|1897-1910
\48|Rowell, Ted|Co|1901-1915
\47|Hughes, Les|Co|1908-1922
\43|Cloke, David|Ri,Co,Ri|1974-1991
\43|Harvey, Robert|St|1988-2008
\41|Barker senior, Syd|Ri,Es,NM|1908-1927
Of the 95 players to reach that age, average is 19.4, median 14.5. About a third played less than 10 games. History is against him.

Waite will kick 10 in opening round and get reported in last 3 minutes of play and at same time pull his hamstring off the bone. Nothing would surprise me. Hopefully for his own sake he plays 44 more games without another injury and becomes gun rebounding centre half back for next two seasons before retiring. Has he ever played more than 14 games in a row in his career?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the footy that Waite has already played (much of which has been at a pretty high standard, notwithstanding regular injury interruptions).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Textbook decoy play.

Waite's wasteline would need to be 'depleted' significantly. Is he related to Hodgey?

When he's fit he's playing blindingly good footy at North, He's just injured too much, as has always been the way with Waite. But guaranteed this year he'll play a few games where he absolutely tears it apart.

The comment itself is pretty silly. That said Waite was really good in the games he played last year and I reckon he'll again play some good games. I also think its highly unlikely he will be able to play anything close to a full season of AFL footy.

When he's fit he's playing blindingly good footy at North, He's just injured too much, as has always been the way with Waite. But guaranteed this year he'll play a few games where he absolutely tears it apart.
Guaranteed?

The comment itself is pretty silly. That said Waite was really good in the games he played last year and I reckon he'll again play some good games. I also think its highly unlikely he will be able to play anything close to a full season of AFL footy.

His 1 good game a year is against us loves playing Essendon for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back