Remove this Banner Ad

Clearances: Geelong 33 - Sydney 51

Centre
Clearances: Geelong 5 - Sydney 16

Contested
Possessions: Geelong 157 - Sydney 149

Hit Outs: Geelong 50 - Sydney 42

View attachment 489446 View attachment 489447

There's the story. Massive clearance numbers. Terrible workrate by either Stanley (who even didn't get to the clearance on a few occasions) and the mids.

Just not good enough

Unfortunately this team has very little going for it in 2018, it's going to be long year and with 7 or 8 players not up to AFL level, the Cats will lose more they win before the end of the year. Geelong are a 14th maybe 13th best placed team at best. They have goofed big time down there this year!

What can I say. For two quarters the team played with such heart it was pleasure to watch, and for two quarters they played like a bunch of morons. Oh well, maybe that last quarter was where our missing players might've got things back on our terms. Not much we can do about it. To see the whole side capitulate in that last quarter was gut wrenching after the way they played the 3rd. Very disappointing result.

The whole "the lengthy injury list is a blessing in disguise, look at all the kids we're developing" narrative is and always was totally absurd. This isn't a development year. We going for a premiership now, and a slight uptick in the development of our kids isn't going to matter if our injuries mean we don't win enough games to capitalise on that accelerated development this year.

Injuries and inexperience is absolutely killing us.
The "leaders" we had out there, minus Danger with some good late marks, offered next to no resistance. That's my bigger concern.

People need to relax a bit for mine. Yes, big missed opportunity, but super young side. They’ll learn a lot from it. Our leaders (sel, danger, Duncan) let us down in the end; how they let Kennedy get off the chain like that in the last I’ll never know. But these losses happen with young teams; sure ain’t the end of the world. This exposure to big games and big moments will stand them and us in great stead when we start getting some more senior players back.

Which would be fine and I'd agree with you if we were building a young team, but we aren't, we are looking to win a flag within the next 2 years while Selwood, Hawkins, Ablett and Taylor are still around.
Now the experience might prove useful after that but right now the club is looking to win a flag and "learning" losses mean nothing.

Unlucky, I don't know how to not sound offensive, but we had no right to win this game with only 3 players 190cm onfield. We got very lucky and now I've got to listen to uninformed BS swans supporters telling me Longmire is a master coach when he isn't. not manning up the loose defender for two quarters and our scoring drying up in that time is not master coaching. It was back luck in the end for you guys with the injury and a few misses by Hawkins and others.

Bullshit.
Why denigrate a great win?

I can tell you one thing for sure: not a single Geelong supporter cares either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm more than a little disappointed that a couple of our leaders were having a smile and a laugh after that. They were the reason we lost. Nothing in the last quarter from our 'amazing' midfield - Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan all non-existent when the team needed them most.

People are taking pot shots against some of the whipping boys, Stanley, Murdoch, Thurlow and Parsons, but our 'leaders' were worse than them when the game was on the line late. Everyone can have a poor game, but they didn't seem to be putting much effort in, and seeing them laughing and joking at the end after their efforts doesn't fill me confidence that they think there was anything wrong with their performance.

Next week will be very very ugly for us.

The best part of this comment is you don't really need to specify which Guthrie ;)
Hopefully the older one's injury puts him out for the year.

People blaming Stanley are having a laugh, the complete lack of defensive accountability in our midfield was what cost us the game today, we need Scooter or GHS for balance and miss them massively when they aren't playing.
Stanley is heckin useless.

It was always a 50/50 game for me. 8 players out compared to 3 players out for Sydney...perhaps Sydney should have been favourites.

Playing at home against an average team that doesn't have a tall forward, should have won by 5 goals all things being equal.

Only need to clog up the backline for them not to be able to score.

Play a 3rd tall forward so there is an option besides Hawkins and Sav.

Put pressure on their midfield so they have to bomb it long straight to our tall defenders.

Maybe play a ruck instead of Stanley.

I left Avalon airport 22 points up, just touched town in Sydney and see a 17 point loss. WTF!!
Did you see 22 Geelong footballers on the plane with you..

Unlucky, I don't know how to not sound offensive, but we had no right to win this game with only 3 players 190cm onfield. We got very lucky and now I've got to listen to uninformed BS swans supporters telling me Longmire is a master coach when he isn't. not manning up the loose defender for two quarters and our scoring drying up in that time is not master coaching. It was back luck in the end for you guys with the injury and a few misses by Hawkins and others.

Please spare the rubbish. We lost because we had 8 of our best starting 22 out today. I don’t contribute it to much else.

People blaming Stanley are having a laugh, the complete lack of defensive accountability in our midfield was what cost us the game today, we need Scooter or GHS for balance and miss them massively when they aren't playing.
There is no doubt the MF got blown out in the last.

But Stanley is part of that MF and then when drug forward couldnt defend to save his life.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back