Review Geelong defeats Sydney by 12 points - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

In the right sort of game, he's more than adequate.

Could have kicked 5 last week.

Yep but when he's off the boil, he's not great. Forward, he's lost.

Who's better in defence, Kolo or Harry?

Why do we put one of our best defenders forward, for the sake of the forward line?

Buddy's best game against us in a while, against a makeshift backline and a dude who'd been in a moonboot all week.

Can’t take the St Kilda our if Stanley I see......dating a school age kid

Are you sure?

He got engaged earlier this year and they became parents in February (that's when the baby was due)

Yes Buzza for some brute strength blended with Tommy and the smalls.
Menegola very good tonight.

Yes, but I've jumped ship, because of

I just think we need to give Harry more time. Except for a brief game back he has been out since round 1. Needs to just get back into the flow. Could have kicked five goals last week. When we played Sydney in last years final Hawkins was quite ordinary and struggled to get it. Taylor being there takes a lot of focus from Tomahawk. I just don't think Buzza is quite there yet.

I have no doubt that next week or the week after Taylor will have a massive game.

So I think let's give Harry more games, improve his form. Then I'm torn because I do like Buzza, who can also #2 Ruck. Might be Harry's last year?

No he isn't. But, Harry is not a forward
No he's not, not yet. However, Taylor isn't great as a CHF and isn't going to get any better. At least Buzza has (cringe at buzzword) upside.
Fully aware of that. Completely understand that point.
There is no argument you can make however to suggest bringing Buzza in atm. When he dominates at VFL level then we'll talk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrating but ultimately rewarding game; much-needed 4 points in the context of this season, hard-won.

A forgettable first quarter notable only for our improved defensive efforts around the ground; that improvement undermined however by an inability to generate any real opportunities for our forwards. The scrappy, rolling scrum of a quarter in which players contrived to slip over or fumble with depressing regularity concluded with Sydney holding a small lead.

Fortunately our players were able to sustain defensive pressure throughout the 2nd quarter, finally forcing errors from Sydney while maintaining their own composure in executing some sharp link-up play.

Goals came, however inaccuracy cost the Cats any type of decisive lead.

I thought the improved efforts from Kolodjashnij, with a couple of timely contested intercept marks, and Fogarty, who delivered to Hawkins for a goal and then converted a set shot himself, underlined the importance of having 18 contributors on the field at all times. As an aside, I can’t think of many shorter kicks than Fogarty; I reckon he’d struggle to cover 45 meters with a drop punt. He didn't stick any big tackles tonight but he chased and harrassed pretty effectively.

Stanley, less effective than last week, nonetheless scrapped and fought hard in the ruck duels and at the clearances. Contributed well.

With Selwood subdued and Ablett a non-factor in the clearances (though pretty good around the ground, with a couple of superb dummy-kicks leaving opponents smothering thin air), Patrick Dangerfield stepped up with a hard-edged first half of football in the middle. I occasionally grumble at his disposal and decision-making (occasionally) but his effort it always first-rate and he hits each and every contest hard. His contested D50 mark late in the 2nd quarter was mixture of his class and strength.

Sydney surged early in the 3rd quarter and quickly eroded our modest lead, but personally I was relatively pleased with the way the team fought back to get the game back on even terms, with Tom Hawkins producing some classy touches, Joel Selwood working hard to find space and Tim Kelly haring up and down the wing.

The last quarter was an exercise in delayed gratification as we squandered seemingly countless scoring opportunities before finally managing to squeeze a couple through the big sticks.

Blicavs had his hands full all night with a threatening Buddy Franklin; fortunately the rest of our defensive were right on top of their games.
Tuohy was rock solid and provided plenty of measured rebound; very good game from him.
Henry was brave and cool; Stewart's pace always serves to affect contest after contest.

Cam Guthrie has had a positive impact on the team since his return last week; he was great again tonight.

Big ups to Mitch Duncan, an absolute architect tonight, laid the foundations for the win with a cool head and an elite boot.

An encouraging win; perhaps Scott Selwood's inclusion served to provide the more defensive-minded process needed to beat a team like Sydney.

Yep but when he's off the boil, he's not great. Forward, he's lost.

Who's better in defence, Kolo or Harry?

Why do we put one of our best defenders forward, for the sake of the forward line?
Fair comment.

That said, in the forward half Harry got acorss to Buddy a few times - you'd never see Buzza doing that for instance.

If he'd taken a few regulation marks (and he wasn't alone in dropping them), he'd have kicked 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back