Preview Mega Preview: Collingwood vs GWS [Plus DaVe86 preview post #26]

Remove this Banner Ad

I am so bored at work...…..are we there yet?

Somehow I'm not as pumped for this match as last week , but I am confident we will win. We played very well in patches last week and commentators have seriously underestimated wce all year. I'm not too stressed about our forwards and Coxy, wce have the best backmen in the league , and I was very impressed that we managed to find a way to wrest back the match on our terms. We've been consistent all year which is very promising, and we've looked like our gamestyle can take care.of gws even during our previous two losses. Every game we play we are improving so I am looking forward to this match. I really think we deserve a crack at Richmond and we won't die wondering. Go pies

The reason is, I feel, is probably how deflating it was to lose out last week, and having to climb off the canvas again. Take every Richmond loss, the Geelong game (the most putrid effort I have seen considering we should have belted them) and the heartbreaking Sydney loss (pharking Buddy. Every bloody time :mad: ). The Eagles game was bad too, but no Coxy.

We went from staring down the barrel at a home Preliminary Final, and worrying about the Tigers in a Grand Final, to having to knock them off for a spot in the big dance, off a six day break if we beat the Giants.

The Giants are hard to pick. They ooze talent gifted to them by the AFL, a mercenary team who does their bidding in Sydney's West, and of course plays finals. They beat Richmond, they have traveled well, they beat us in round two at the MCG. It's disconcerting.

Probably should alert to the fact, and the Grandfather agreed when I spoke with him, the Swannies had only one focal point in Franklin, in wet conditions, and once Davis sorted him, it took the world off the shoulders of their star midfield and they rebounded with gay abandon.

Our forward line is multifaceted. Take Coxy out, but in a tough slog, he might kick one or two, and that's all we need. He also has the height on Davis at times, and drops it to ground level for crumbers in Thommo, Checka, DeGoGo and Wilbur, and you can reach forget the potency of Stevo. Sure a few went missing last week, but at the same time finals footy, take your opportunities, parochial home crowd that pressures the umpires, and the fact the Giants can't cover everyone, means we could put a fox in the hen house.

At this stage, Richmond is a free hit. We have shown ability to pressure them into unnecessary mistakes and go with them for large chunks of the game through the season. They might not get a run on this time. A player might go down. We might fly out of the starting blocks and tighten the screws like Melbourne did Geelong. Just because the won a flag, they are the AFL darlings, does not negate that it is finals footy.

Anything is possible.

Hi guys,

Also check out my preview on the Collingwood website

https://magpi.es/2Oj3FH7 (mobile friendly link)

Come on bloke stop trying to peacock! Your previews aren't even that good! /Sarcasm

Last edited:
Cox had the best 5 possession game in history in a slog in Adelaide. Just sayin.

……..and he had the worst 5 possession game in history last week when it counts the most. Just sayin.

Please read this article Mason...….Dermie knows a thing or two about playing in finals and the forward craft.

Expert Opinion
Mason Cox will get another finals lesson from Phil Davis, writes Dermott Brereton
DERMOTT BRERETON, Herald Sun
22 minutes ago
Subscriber only

FORMER Hawthorn gun forward Ben Dixon is clearly the best set-shot kicking coach in AFL circles.
  • And several weeks ago, Dixon met Collingwood’s Mason Cox for the first time when walking across the oval before a match.

Cox and Dicko’s conversation went as follows:

Cox: “Hey Dicko, any tips for my goalkicking?”

Dixon: “Well it can be pretty technical, just how technical do you want me to get?”

Cox: “I’m an aeronautical engineer. I can single-handedly pull apart an A380 and then put it back together again, go your hardest, get as technical as you like”.
    But playing football is a different science. Last week against the Eagles Cox couldn’t get his timing right with the ball in flight

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/0f68482ab1267882e461ca2ebecb7372
Dermie, funny guy, wonder who Ghosts for him?

What an absolute clueless flog this bloke is

28mppok.jpg
So he's made a statement that can never be proved or disproved.... Well done Purple...FLOG!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another good article and highlights how good a leader Nick Maxwell is.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/4eb60de920328c00519d6336758a7a02

"It was about setting standards and determining expectations. The platform was set.

It was an invigorating, and enjoyable week, Howe said, turning the tables on a minefield of a year in 2017.

“We clearly picked our leadership group there on the camp, and ‘Maxy’ organised the whole thing,” Howe said.

“I haven’t known him obviously for as long as many of the other guys, but he (Maxwell) is one of the most impressive humans I have ever met.

Another good article and highlights how good a leader Nick Maxwell is.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...d/news-story/4eb60de920328c00519d6336758a7a02

"It was about setting standards and determining expectations. The platform was set.

It was an invigorating, and enjoyable week, Howe said, turning the tables on a minefield of a year in 2017.

“We clearly picked our leadership group there on the camp, and ‘Maxy’ organised the whole thing,” Howe said.

“I haven’t known him obviously for as long as many of the other guys, but he (Maxwell) is one of the most impressive humans I have ever met.

Another article I will never get to read :(

Our high pressure game can beat anyone, it's only a question of how long we can maintain it. Against Richmond it was 3 quarters, then 3.5 quarters, against wce it was 3.5 quarters. This year, when we lose i think of the margin in minutes, not score. Often when we win it is when we punish a team that falls asleep for a period of time. I have no doubt we can beat the teams that play in patches (gws, melb perhaps?). For me the question atm is not so much of personnel or strategy, but how we can reach the 4 quarter level of staying power in the coming weeks.

Hi guys,

Also check out my preview on the Collingwood website

https://magpi.es/2Oj3FH7 (mobile friendly link)

Awesome preview as always Dave. I'm kind of expecting Greenwood to get the Greene match up. Greene might be too tricky though? Who would you get to mind Whitfield?

Awesome preview as always Dave. I'm kind of expecting Greenwood to get the Greene match up. Greene might be too tricky though? Who would you get to mind Whitfield?

I would play Maynard on Greene and send Greenwood to Sheil.

The Giants are already down Kelly, so if you take out Sheil then it’s basically Ward and Coniglio vs our deep midfield.

I would put Stephenson on Whitfield, similar to how he played Saad. Just gave him hell, made him accountable and harassed him.

I would play Maynard on Greene and send Greenwood to Sheil.

The Giants are already down Kelly, so if you take out Sheil then it’s basically Ward and Coniglio vs our deep midfield.

I would put Stephenson on Whitfield, similar to how he played Saad. Just gave him hell, made him accountable and harassed him.

I worry we'd lose a bit too much at the centre clearances if we stick Greenwood in there. You know Greenwood won't do much but theres a chance Shiel will if he navigates the tag. Their depth isn't so bad either when they're replacing Kelly with Griffen.

I like the idea of Stephenson on Whitfield. He'd give him hell I reckon. Whitfield couldn't be unaccountable that's for sure. Varcoe could be a good option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back