Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
tell them to take a couple of weeks off, then pick it. I don't understand why we have to (a) pick it so far in advance (when the Test doesn't start until the 24th) and (b) why they need to be in camp for 1 week prior to the Test.
What will we know in a weeks time that we won't know now though? Our joke of a schedule doesn't allow FC cricket to be played while the tests are on.

It's funny that the most underrated batsman going around is from NSW, Daniel Hughes.

His 16/17 and 17/18 seasons were fairly average unfortunately.

Both him and Patterson weren't far off imo, but just needed one big season in the last couple to make the selectors take notice. Both going ok so far this shield season, if can have a big second half who knows.

Don’t think I could watch if he did
He can go with lead boots, he's absolutely useless with his ridiculous technique.

But I bet you, he will get picked against Sri Lanka, score a 100, and he spot will be safe.... Does my head in, it's time to say Goodbye to Shaun Marsh for National level..

I reckon Travis Head's batting style will be all at sea against the swinging Duke ball.

You mean like every Australian batsman of the past 14 years? Not saying I disagree by the way.

You know what Australian cricket needs? More lifeless pitches, money, a greater focus on high-performance and less transparency. Then they might succeed somewhere that actually matters.

Had a good chat to a mate and completely re-thought my last posted squad. We have to raise standards, and the only way to do that is by picking the best available at the time, and not picking kids for 'experience' when they're better off fighting hard for that chance for years. Let's not Mitch Marsh the likes of Sangha and Pucovski.

Marcus Harris
David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith
Peter Handscomb
Matthew Wade
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Mitchell Starc
Josh Hazlewood
-----
Joe Burns
Travis Head
Alex Carey
Jhye Richardson
Daniel Worrall

I don't think we can really do much better than that (sadly). We're in no position to ignore Handscomb's decent Test record, though I fear for both he and Head in England, but I suppose there's only one way to find out if they can adapt - and we aren't winning the series anyway.

I think Starc will keep his spot, though pressure will come from the reserve seamers if he starts poorly.

Do we consider Stoinis? He's had a decent season and has the right mentality for the big time, even if his record hasn't been the best in previous years. If we need to take another seamer then Tremain/Sayers/Bird would be suitable.

Had a good chat to a mate and completely re-thought my last posted squad. We have to raise standards, and the only way to do that is by picking the best available at the time, and not picking kids for 'experience' when they're better off fighting hard for that chance for years. Let's not Mitch Marsh the likes of Sangha and Pucovski.

Marcus Harris
David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith
Peter Handscomb
Matthew Wade
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Mitchell Starc
Josh Hazlewood
-----
Joe Burns
Travis Head
Alex Carey
Jhye Richardson
Daniel Worrall

I don't think we can really do much better than that (sadly). We're in no position to ignore Handscomb's decent Test record, though I fear for both he and Head in England, but I suppose there's only one way to find out if they can adapt - and we aren't winning the series anyway.

I think Starc will keep his spot, though pressure will come from the reserve seamers if he starts poorly.

Do we consider Stoinis? He's had a decent season and has the right mentality for the big time, even if his record hasn't been the best in previous years. If we need to take another seamer then Tremain/Sayers/Bird would be suitable.

It's inflated by his first 6 or 7 tests when he came into the team in red hot form though, only 3 scores over 50 in his last 21 test innings I think.

Just wait until both Mitch and Shaun are named. It's going to happen.
Look I haven’t completely written Mitch off yet but he should be a long way back in the que to get back into the national set up. If he can produce good seasons with the bat and ball have a look at him until then let him play state cricket and county cricket

Look I haven’t completely written Mitch off yet but he should be a long way back in the que to get back into the national set up. If he can produce good seasons with the bat and ball have a look at him until then let him play state cricket and county cricket

I don't want him picked ever again, but unfortunately I think he is always going to be in the picture until he retries regardless of how poor his form is. Realistically he should be nowhere near it but i'll never expect to see him omitted.

Liking the look of Riley Meredith.
Only played a handful of first class games, but looks to have a good action and bowling regularly in the 145kph range. Looks to have a good bouncer too.
Could be a Smokey for an Ashes call up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny that the most underrated batsman going around is from NSW, Daniel Hughes.

Is he? He's nearly 30 and has 5 First Class hundreds. 3 Shield games ago he had 3, he's certainly on the right track and he's not the only late bloomer but his sample season right now of good Cricket is basically two seasons. Plenty of cricketers lose their way and get worked out after they get a bit of exposure at state level.

I find it odd so many want Labuschange out, I wasn’t a fan of his selection at all but he was solid enough posted a reasonable score and looked to have a very sound technique. They threw him into the hot seat and batting him at 3 but still looked okay. I think we have something to work with in Labuschange, I think he deserves the next two tests against Sri Lanka.

I wasn't a fan of the selection but we can't dump him after one innings, marsh is really the only one who has surely used up all his chances.

Marsh was awful in sa but due to the bans kept his spot in the UAE, He was awful in the UAE but scored enough shield runs to hang around and then was awful vs india.

Only played a handful of first class games, but looks to have a good action and bowling regularly in the 145kph range. Looks to have a good bouncer too.

Reckon we’d need a big injury crisis for that to happen. Doesn’t move the ball a hell of a lot and doesn’t seem overly accurate.

Who knows though, weirder things have happened!

Marcus Harris
David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith
Peter Handscomb
Matthew Wade
Tim Paine (c)
Pat Cummins
Nathan Lyon
Mitchell Starc
Josh Hazlewood
-----
Joe Burns
Travis Head
Alex Carey
Jhye Richardson
Daniel Worrall

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stoinis debuts against Sri Lanka.
Nothwithstanding, he will be a very strong chance to go on the Ashes tour......the Aust selectors won’t be able to help themselves when it comes to sel3cting an all rounder.

Labuschagne will play in the Sri Lanka tests also and if he goes half ok he will be on the plane to England also.
Technically he looks pretty sound....moreso than Handscomb for sure, and can offer a wrist spin option.

Maxwell would have to be a chance also. Perhaps at expense of Head.

The last 4 games of the Shield season will be a last man standing audition for the Ashes tour

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if Stoinis debuts against Sri Lanka.
Nothwithstanding, he will be a very strong chance to go on the Ashes tour......the Aust selectors won’t be able to help themselves when it comes to sel3cting an all rounder.

Labuschagne will play in the Sri Lanka tests also and if he goes half ok he will be on the plan to England also.
Technically he looks pretty sound....moreso than Handscomb for sure, and can offer a wrist spin option.

Maxwell would have to be a chance also. Perhaps at expense of Head.

The last 4 games of the Shield season will be a last man standing audition for the Ashes tour
True, I forgot Lasagne. See how he goes against the Lankans I suppose.

Bowling fast in England isn’t everything. Just ask Brett Lee.

His ascension into the public sphere reminds me of Stanlake. Hopefully that’s where the similarities end

Reckon we’d need a big injury crisis for that to happen. Doesn’t move the ball a hell of a lot and doesn’t seem overly accurate.

Who knows though, weirder things have happened!

Gutsy call on what we have seen tonight for sure, but plenty to work with.
Got a good bouncer is what I have taken out of tonight.....other than that didn’t bowl to his field well enough.....though field wasn’t really set to his strength to start..and Dan Christian got hold of him in the 19th over
Even if he doesn’t make an Ashes squad, I have no doubt he is a future test bowling prospect in the next couple of years.

Time to try a few new players. Stoinis and Maxwell have to come on, while Butters should be promoted to 4 and Burns joins the squad. Lasagna can fill his boots as the 12th man.

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Butters
Head
Paine
Maxwell
Cummins
Lyon
Pattinson
Siddle

Out:
Starc
Hazlewood
Lasagna
Smarsh

Options:
Wade (6)
Lasagna (4)
Tremain
Stoinis

I'd even give Fawad Ahmed a crack if he's available.

It's important Butters is promoted up the list. He's far too good to be coming in at 4 down for * all.

Time to try a few new players. Stoinis and Maxwell have to come on, while Butters should be promoted to 4 and Burns joins the squad. Lasagna can fill his boots as the 12th man.

Burns
Harris
Khawaja
Butters
Head
Paine
Maxwell
Cummins
Lyon
Pattinson
Siddle

Out:
Starc
Hazlewood
Lasagna
Smarsh

Options:
Wade (6)
Lasagna (4)
Tremain
Stoinis

I'd even give Fawad Ahmed a crack if he's available.

It's important Butters is promoted up the list. He's far too good to be coming in at 4 down for **** all.
lmao Handscomb is s**t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back