Roast Be brave with ball movement

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate how Scott’s excuse is that “we are top of the ladder” so it’s not that we’re “in a huge hole”.. absolute s**t talk.

The first 11 rounds are irrelevant. Utterly irrelevant. Teams have worked out how to play us, our players have fallen into bad habits and selection has been questionable.

Fix it scott. It’s up to him and the coaches to evolve and make changes to counter Other teams’ style against us.

We know they’ll try make us go slow by clogging up the field. So use more handball and run. Surprise the opposition.

We know how they’ll play against us. Use that to our advantage. Or keep playing the same boring s**t, walk into the other teams hands, go out in straight and wonder why were in the EXACT same scenario as 12 months ago.

It cannot be more obvious we need to change.

Couldn't agree more. I've always been a Scott fan, I think he has managed our transition of personnel really well. But I've never been totally convinced he's great tactically like Clarkson, Lyon etc. But I've always thought he's probably been good enough in that area. I think we will get our answer to whether this man can coach in the next few weeks. We've been worked out, let's see how he responds.

Over to you Scotty.

Scott-ex defender
Scarlett-ex defender
Enright- ex defender
Why are we so surprised by the game Style?

Not that surprising in the modern game. Richmond had Leppitsch as forwards coach ahead of their flag in 2017.

Not that surprising in the modern game. Richmond had Leppitsch as forwards coach ahead of their flag in 2017.
True I guess. Lots of coaches from the defensive side of the ground.
Maybe why the game is boring and scoring has dried up.
Scott spending his apprenticeship with ‘game killer’ Lyon might explain a lot
Interestingly Bomber was a defender too, and presided over one of the most attacking game styles of recent times.

Last edited:
It was around the start of July when Scarlett was interviewed about the importance of defending with the footy. Since then we've been struggling to get over 10 goals when pre-bye we were the most potent offensive team in the competitive.

At the moment we're defending brilliantly when we've got the ball, we hardly move the bloody thing forward, and when the opposition gets it we don't defend at all and let them waltz past us. We've got the game backwards for crying out loud! :drunk:

We were playing boring football when we were winning as well. This is Scott's strategy. It would be better if the number is above 50 percent. 25 is boring football.
Winning isn't boring, unless you're into spelling bees.
You would be the first call Scott clueless if our strategy was play-on at all costs, followed by the ball being kicked back over our defenders' heads.
What an exciting way to lose!

No we weren't. it was running, exciting goal kicking football. Played like a team with a team. Sooooo different to now. The question is why?
What running? We were holding the play up and kicking it to the wing then too. Commentators have been talking about this as being our game plan since round 4.Very few inside fifties as well. We were just winning the contested ball. This is what won us the games along with efficient forward entries and the fact the opposition hadnt figured out yet to simply flood the wings. Imagine if we both moved the ball quickly though the middle and won the contested ball. We would be at geelong 07-11 level. And not so bloody boring.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning isn't boring, unless you're into spelling bees.
You would be the first call Scott clueless if our strategy was play-on at all costs, followed by the ball being kicked back over our defenders' heads.
Winning can often be very boring. See malthouse winning teams. See Ross lyon winning teams. See Paul roos swans and now Scotts 2019 geelong. I never thought I would see a boring geelong side.

Winning can often be very boring. See malthouse winning teams. See Ross lyon winning teams. See Paul roos swans and now Scotts 2019 geelong. I never thought I would see a boring geelong side.
We all see it differently I suppose.
I'm sorry you're bored, but I'm hoping for a very boring win against North on Saturday. :D

You would be the first to call Scott clueless if our strategy was play-on at all costs, followed by the ball being kicked back over our defenders' heads.

Too late. It's already been done. Many, many times.

Just imagine what his overall coaching record would be like if he wasn't entirely mentally bereft...

True I guess. Lots of coaches from the defensive side of the ground.
Maybe why the game is boring and scoring has dried up.
Scott spending his apprenticeship with ‘game killer’ Lyon might explain a lot
Interestingly Bomber was a defender too, and presided over one of the most attacking game styles of recent times.

This comes up occasionally but I'm pretty sure Scotty left Freo before they brought Lyon in and he's never coached under Ross.

I think scoring will return if the AFL are prepared to allow the landscape to stabilise. Constant changes in rules encourage a conservative 'wait and see' approach.

This comes up occasionally but I'm pretty sure Scotty left Freo before they brought Lyon in and he's never coached under Ross.

I think scoring will return if the AFL are prepared to allow the landscape to stabilise. Constant changes in rules encourage a conservative 'wait and see' approach.
Don't let facts get in the way of a good story...

So we are in a bit of a hole chris says.

Is that because of our heavy training load as people have suggested we have taken?

Or are we playing bruise free footy as others have suggested we are playing.
Bruise free seems right. It seems that over the last few years when we play mediocre teams we play a brand of footy where we are not switched on, don't seem to have any urgency and yeah ... try to limit any bruising.

Ultimately this leads us to flirt with form (due to managing too many players) and end up playing like we are in 10th position instead of top 4.

The losses prior to this one were close ... and maybe some justification in thinking not much was required to "right the ship", but Freo belted us. There's no hiding behind an honorable loss here. They were a class above. Hunting and hurting us. They were actually good to watch.

There's always the hope that something like that will shock us out of our malaise ... I guess the next three weeks will tell us whether that's the case or not.

Not holding my breath.

My suggested answer: we are losing the contested ball.
Which comes down to, for the most, form of certain players.

Kelly has been off the boil, as has Danger. They were the ones leading from the front and bringing others into the game.

Duncan lost his ability to kick/handball ...

Blicavs turned into a steeplechaser ... seriously he needs to be dropped.

Ablett/Selwood very quiet

Those are pretty much all of our top end. The ones that need to play well week in week out for us to have a chance (and to help bring others into the game).

Those are the guys that need to lift and bring it ... if they can then we might be ok.

Which comes down to, for the most, form of certain players.

Kelly has been off the boil, as has Danger. They were the ones leading from the front and bringing others into the game.

Duncan lost his ability to kick/handball ...

Blicavs turned into a steeplechaser ... seriously he needs to be dropped.

Ablett/Selwood very quiet

Those are pretty much all of our top end. The ones that need to play well week in week out for us to have a chance (and to help bring others into the game).

Those are the guys that need to lift and bring it ... if they can then we might be ok.
Miers and Atkins too. And we missed Dahlhaus.
SSelwood was supposed to help boost our contested ball, but it is now worse.
Let's settle the team. Let's extract some digits. Let's get back what was working.

Miers and Atkins too. And we missed Dahlhaus.
SSelwood was supposed to help boost our contested ball, but it is now worse.
Let's settle the team. Let's extract some digits. Let's get back what was working.
Atkins has been carried the whole season. He has never been any good with exception of one game.

Atkins is just the forward version of Ruggles

VFL battler who tries hard, puts in a few really good games but at the end of the day isn't good enough

just there to clog a list spot for a few years instead of developing a kid (cos playing too many kids might mess with Scott's H/A record)

Here's what makes sense to me.
We're moving the ball too slow is an opinion.
The data says, based on our earlier wins, that's not the issue. What has changed is our ability to pressure, and win contested ball.

At the beginning of the year what made watching Geelong so exciting was seeing players come from all directions to get the ball back off the opposition. That was new. That was something we'd not done in previous years. We looked like a different team. We never allowed opposition easy ball - and when we got it back, or won it from a 50/50 contest, we would run in waves and start flicking it around. Witness the self-appointed wolfpack. Now they're playing more like a couple of spoodles and a three-legged golden retriever.

However - if we can't win the contested ball - then yes, we need to move the ball quicker out of defence. A bit like Hawthorn in that terrible trifecta of years - not elite at contested ball, but once they got it, they wouldn't give it back.

So in answer to your question, I'm only a bit confused.
/thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back