News Gone: Hugh Greenwood traded to Gold Coast for 2020 3rd, 4th round picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody aweful trade ....17 Academy, father son, and NGA picks will blow this out to a 4th round & 5th round picks ....useless

You realise we have multiple NGA/FS next year right? So blowing these picks out won't happen.

The issue is more we need players this year? Surely a trade to get point collateral could be done by sacrificing our 2021 2nd for more points later, or our first depending on how Borlace and Edwards go.

Last edited:

You dont load up on late round points a year out of the draft. You have no idea what they will then out like yet. 12 months out Jackson Edwards was a first round pick, and Ben Jarman was highly sort after.

Bloody aweful trade ....17 Academy, father son, and NGA picks will blow this out to a 4th round & 5th round picks ....useless

I don't disagree that this is unders, but you know that the bidding system doesn't work like that. Yes, the owning club get to leapfrog past a few guys in front of them to nab their player, but then it gets to where their pick originally was and we're back to where we started. At worst, you're pushed back a few spots and it would require a bit of bad luck to be that far.

For a player of his age that can't make the starting 22

Ok

But I have no doubt if we were buying a player that was like that abd 27 we would be offering a third

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our starting 22 didn't make the finals and the football department that the selection committee works within has been placed under internal and external review. Maybe they weren't picking the right side? Statistically, Greenwood's last 40 games have him ranked 32 in the AFL, with only Sloane being ranked higher at the AFC. Maybe he should have been in the starting 22*?

*He absolutely should have been in the starting 22.

YEP

You dont load up on late round points a year out of the draft. You have no idea what they will then out like yet. 12 months out Jackson Edwards was a first round pick, and Ben Jarman was highly sort after.
All of this, all our academy and Nga kids could end up being not that great and not worth much. If they turn out to be superstars we still wont have enough points.

No they don't, at best it's a mid 30s pick if Gold Coast finish last and there's a few free agency compensation picks

Like i said previously, you shouldn't take into account the NGA/FS discount you'll receive when you trade someone. It's a mid 30's pick at best, and could end up worse. I'm HOPING there's something else in the works there.

Jarman wasn't, Jacko was though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So i guess if Greenwood only a 3rd rounder in the clubs eyes, we will jump at a pick in the 50s for Keath

All of this, all our academy and Nga kids could end up being not that great and not worth much. If they turn out to be superstars we still wont have enough points.
Same with any draftee

So i guess if Greenwood only a 3rd rounder in the clubs eyes, we will jump at a pick in the 50s for Keath
I think we value Keath as a better asset, otherwise that trade will have been done.

We can always dip into 2021 picks.

We must be damn confident they're going to make it though. I mean the good news is both Borlace and Edwards got selected into the futures game so they're definitely tracking well at this point.

Even the most positive of us didn't think it would be this bad.

Suns are on their knees, have been raped of talent, have a worse go home factor than us and have no need to play nice. The reason that the PSD doesn't get used is because when a club like Gold Coast approach a negotiation with a take it or leave it attitude, you take the pineapple or you get nothing. I'd have not been concerned if we got nothing on principle, but I understand why we've accepted what was on offer. There was no getting more from them, it's that simple.

So Hawthorns list managers who was pushing Ben to nominate them rather than us are nuffies. You should flick them an email and offer them your services.
Hawthorn decided a long way out they didn't want him

Load of s**t. Gold Coast get reamed by most teams but they’ve made a habit of bending us over.

Nicks says he wants to build our game around the contest but we’ve just given away our best contested ball winner.

Absolute bullshit.
We didn't trade a Crouch brother..... but I get your point.

I reckon pick 4 is still in play personally.

I don't disagree that this is unders, but you know that the bidding system doesn't work like that. Yes, the owning club get to leapfrog past a few guys in front of them to nab their player, but then it gets to where their pick originally was and we're back to where we started. At worst, you're pushed back a few spots and it would require a bit of bad luck to be that far.
17 playrs next year ....7 this year ...massive difference

Going to be pushed out 10 spots min

Can only think it's sort of a salary dump (well what it would cost to keep him).

GC probably offering 5-600k a year? We're a couple of years away from doing anything relevant, no point tying up that much cap space in a guy that won't be here (or at the level) when it matters.

Potentially tough times ahead so we will need extra dollars to retain youth and players who will contribute on the other side of the rebuild who will be very gettable during this period.

I'd say he's not worth that much $$$ and picks combined to the Suns, but if they can get him for a steal the length and dollars make sense for them. Once he chooses GC, he pretty much gets there, players have all of the power.

Would have obviously liked a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back