• Sydney

Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t want Freo’s list. They’ve got the best midfielder in the comp whilst also having the worst midfield

not close to a flag in the near future and are almost starkers for a graders medium to long term judging output so far

the only potential A graders going forward I can see are Hogan and Alex Pearce who are constantly injured, Luke Ryan and maybe A Brayshaw although he is quite limited
Typical West coast response and I am not suprised.

Freo should of made finals in 2019 if it wasnt for injuries to Key postion players and losing those naroow games.

Backline is solid. Alex Pearce and Joel Hamling are good KPDs. Ryan, wilson and Hughes are solid small defenders.

Midfield is poor but far from the worst in the comp. Sean Darcy is a gun ruckman at 22. His development came at the perfect time to replace Sandilands.

Fyfe has to carry the midfield for the next 3-4 years, Which I dont think is a bad thing. Also, look at the solid mids we got in the 2017 draft: Brayshaw, Banfield, Cerra, Crowden and Giro. 5 mids what will be in their 3rd season in 2020. that means by 2022, those 5 mids will be in their 5th year. and aged around 23-25 years old. that means Fyfe will be 30 or 31.

Forward line is far from the worst in the AFL. Walters, Matera and Switkowski are small forwards. Freos Key forward stocks are Hogan, Lobb, McCarthy, Tarberner, cox and Dixon.

Freo has done their rebuild correctly, the 1st year brought in a Few Key Position players in the 2016 draft. in the 2nd year was in the 2017 draft, Freo got a lot of mids.

No Doubt freo got a bunch of 8-12 solid players in the 2016 and 2017 years.

I would have thought a long-term spine of

Howard
Battle
Marshall
Membrey
King

(all 25yo or younger)

with Carlisle and Ryder as well in the short term was likely to be about the least of our problems!

Marshall is a likely future star.
I rate Howard highly.. almost the best steal of the off season.
King - why not.

Battle and Membrey are role fillers.

They are all young. I would have preferred to see St Kilda build youth around the spine.. i.e go to the draft again.

St Kilda's list strategy is high risk. They have gone for immediate impact players and have a lot on their credit card atm.

Question is basically in the title. Basically I am asking in this thread which club do you think is a combination of furthest from a flag and possibly least exciting going forward? I am not asking which club you think will come last in 2020, but that could be taken into account of you want. I am asking if you combine possibly a poor to average ladder position with youth coming through that does not feel exciting which list do you think is furthest from a flag?

For instance, despite the fact there is a good chance Gold Coast are going to come last in 2020 I personally would not have them as the list that I would least want my club to have as sure they will come last this year (likely) but they also have a stack of really exciting young prospects in Rankine, King, Lukosius and now Rowell, Anderson and Flanders. That is a very exciting group of names and it is enough to keep them off the "least wanted" list in my eyes.

For me I would go with North Melbourne. I know it is a controversial choice but I look at their list and I don't think they are winning any flags in the next couple of years and unlike clubs that are ranked lower than them like Gold Coast or Carlton I don't think North Melbourne have any exciting youth coming through that could elevate them to premiership contention either. They are sort of in this weird zone where they are too good for the best draft picks, but not good enough to be in any sort of premiership talks and I don't see that changing anytime soon so I feel like out of every team in the competition North Melbourne is actually the furthest away from potentially winning a flag.

What about you, which team list would you least want based on how far away they are from winning a flag?

Geelong polls don't work unless you make the votes public. We can't see how many of those votes are Hawfmond supporters

Think people are forgetting that Forthorn have the GREATEST COACH OF ALL TIME- ALISTAIR CLARKSON

And despite this, they haven't won a final for years- they couldn't even beat ******* MELBOURNE DEMONS at their HOME GROUND in an ELIMINATION FINAL two years ago!!!!! They're recruiting genuine "A GRADE STARS" like Robert Gray, Thomas Scully, Patton, OMEARA... and they still can't make the finals... what does that tell you about the rest of their list?!?!

Take out LEGENDARY SUPERCOACH AL CKARLSON annd those flogs at glenferrie would be winning spoons. Their list is piss.

I was unaware we had picked up Robbie Gray, thanks for putting down your cheese board to update us all.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton would be the obvious choice.
That makes no sense. We just went through the hardest years of cutting back the list and regenerating it with young talent. If you were a coach deciding which team you would like to take over Carlton would be right up there. More than half our list is under 23 years old...how can you make such a definitive assessment and write off a list at this stage? How do you know the progression of each draftee at the club? Do you study our list? Do you follow training reports? Or is it just a lazy, general go to point that "Carlton are crap"?

Tarryn thomas
LDU
Simpkin
Bonar
Zurhaar
Larkey
Ahern
Bailey Scott
Curtis Taylor

and 2 first rounders next year
Tarryn thomas - will be a good player, have heard Richmond spoke with his manger recently
LDU - ordinary
Simpkin - ordinary
Bonar - couldn’t get a kick playing in GWS’s twos
Zurhaar - vanilla
Larkey - decent
Ahern - ordinary
Bailey Scott - never heard of him
Curtis Taylor - never heard of him

Tarryn thomas - will be a good player, have heard Richmond spoke with his manger recently
LDU - ordinary
Simpkin - ordinary
Bonar - couldn’t get a kick playing in GWS’s twos
Zurhaar - vanilla
Larkey - decent
Ahern - ordinary
Bailey Scott - never heard of him
Curtis Taylor - never heard of him
Lol Pls do show us richmonds fountain of youth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That makes no sense. We just went through the hardest years of cutting back the list and regenerating it with young talent. If you were a coach deciding which team you would like to take over Carlton would be right up there. More than half our list is under 23 years old...how can you make such a definitive assessment and write off a list at this stage? How do you know the progression of each draftee at the club? Do you study our list? Do you follow training reports? Or is it just a lazy, general go to point that "Carlton are crap"?

They're not very good

St Kilda has the best developing ruck in Rowan Marshall, although lacking depth.
KPP are also decent forward and back, including the best touted KPP from the 2018 Draft in Max King.

What St Kilda is lacking is midfield depth, even with Jade Greshem and Hunter Clark.
Yeah I have corrected myself about the ruck because I totally forgot about Rowan. He’s fantastic.

Max King is a good prospect, but who else other than Josh Battle and King do St Kilda have as an upcoming KPP? That’s the reason why I was a little worried. Carlisle would be 29 years old by the end of this year and Nathan Brown is 31 years old and there seems to be barely any KPPs on the list in line to replace them. To me, St Kilda lack in depth across the entire field other than mid-sized forwards and defenders (which they seem to have plenty of).

The list can work out over a couple of drafts/trade periods and I am confident someone like Ratten would be able to make it work, but it’s probably the list I would take the least because I personally wouldn’t know how to go about it

AFL website ranked our u23s well above North’s as well.

ALso very hard to predict how good young players are in a top team. I mean Brent Prismall for example looked really good at Geelong when he was surrounded by stars, but when he moved to an average team he looked average at best. Very good teams can make youth look better than they are.

ALso very hard to predict how good young players are in a top team. I mean Brent Prismall for example looked really good at Geelong when he was surrounded by stars, but when he moved to an average team he looked average at best. Very good teams can make youth look better than they are.
And on the other hand Joel Selwood looked good as a kid playing for the same Geelong and continued on his merry way.

I agree with you to an extent but you need to factor in both sides of the argument.

Back