• Geelong

Votes: 88 38.6%
  • Richmond

Votes: 59 25.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So now making finals is a failure ?

Do you reckon the cats will make it ?

I mean with all those Al Australians it should be a Monty right ?
Lol no need to get so offended.

1) no season is a complete success without a premiership. Sneaking into finals with an old team while not even blooding some kids seams like a wasted season.

2) unsure. Our midfield lacks depth and has copped a ton of injuries that we haven't been able to overcome. But I think we'll be better going forward for the time being invested in Holmes, Bruhn, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt, Dempsey, etc. I would prefer to make finals ultimately unless we get something close to our best team on the park in good form we won't be winning anything.

3) no. The league is pretty tight and a loss of form and injuries can easily be the difference between competing for a flag and missing finals. Just look at Richmond 2021 or Port Adelaide last year.

Lol no need to get so offended.

1) no season is a complete success without a premiership. Sneaking into finals with an old team while not even blooding some kids seams like a wasted season.

2) unsure. Our midfield lacks depth and has copped a ton of injuries that we haven't been able to overcome. But I think we'll be better going forward for the time being invested in Holmes, Bruhn, O Henry, Mullin, Knevitt, Dempsey, etc. I would prefer to make finals ultimately unless we get something close to our best team on the park in good form we won't be winning anything.

3) no. The league is pretty tight and a loss of form and injuries can easily be the difference between competing for a flag and missing finals. Just look at Richmond 2021 or Port Adelaide last year.

That's the thing , when you top up with geriatrics for 10 years, guess what?

They get injured

Makes it worse when you have no good players under 30

Anyways enjoy

Going from ordinary to scraping into finals is a bit pointless though if you just get dumped out in the first week. Which is sort of where I'm seeing Richmond at the moment. They're playing good footy and have gone from the season looking over to possibly scraping into finals from here. But if you then make a charge and win the flag it would be epic. Incredibly unlikely though.

I admire Richmond for deciding to have another crack this year. I would've gone about it differently (only one of Taranto or Hopper and looked at a cheapish key position player) but the idea makes sense. I'm just surprised that after being 3-7-1 you still are seeing Cumberland, Sonsie, Banks, Dow, etc struggling to get game time.

We got around 122 games into players 22 or younger in 2022, and 75 so far in 14 rounds this season, +10 games to first year 24yo Tylar Young and 8 games to 23yo Miller who entered the season about a 10 game player.

So Richmond are getting plenty of games into young players. On average across the whole AFL teams average fielding about 6-7 sub 50 game players per week, most of whom are 22 or younger, and Richmond is very close to this average. The reason some of the talented young players like Sonsie, Cumberland, Dow are not being played is they simply haven't been playing well enough overall, for differing reasons. Banks is flying and will be introduced at some point of the season when the club thinks the time is right. Brown is also starting to show a bit and will likely debut later this season. There are some others as well. Gibcus has been injured of course. But Richmond knows it is a long season and just inserting young players into the team early in the season and keeping playing them through form and fitness slumps or as they tire is nothing but a recipe for disaster.

I'm back you bozos 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Somone asked a great question,

"what about Dank and the weapon at Geelong in those glory years

Why do cats fans always freak out about that whenever it gets brought up"

Strange isn't it, they want honest fans that know what happened to believe that Chris Scott figured out how to beat Richmond before the stand rule, but they don't want those same honest fans to think that nefarious characters Dank and the Weapon were the same at Geelong as what they were at Essendon.

Let me ask the Geelong fans, did Chris Scott figure out how to beat Richmond before the stand rule?

Surely the game changed from when Richmond were toying with Geelong from '17 to '20 to when Chris Scott (who couldn't coach pigs to be dirty) figured out how to beat Richmond, and that on his own mind you 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The Falcon returneth.

David Attenborough Wildlife GIF by BBC Earth

Maybe cats fans can assist with their best under 28 team
considering lists are being discussed

Richmond
Baker - Balta -Young
Rioli - Gibcus - Short
Ross - Hopper - Ralphsmith
Bolton
- Miller - Cumberland
M.Rioli
- Bardtke - Clarke
Ryan - Sonsie
- Banks - Graham
Brown - Trezise - Campbell - Coulthard - Mansell
Emerg : Bauer - Green - Smith - Nyuon - Colina - Dow

* Highlighted players already getting regular games when fit / available

Last edited:
No. Picking out the middle 12 years is shifting the goalposts. Career averages take into account their early careers and twilight of their careers given it seems to be that people have been writing off Dusty as cooked this season...

You either take the stats as a whole, or don't use raw stats at all, as anyone can find any number of stats to suit their argument.

You said raw stats matter. Raw stats say that over their careers, Dusty and GAJ have had remarkably similar numbers.
Shifting the goal posts. Richmond fans usually focus on Martin's 4 year peak which is a fraction of a career. 12 years and 250 odd games is a champion size career in itself. An extraordinary period of time to be pumping out numbers that good.

if Martin's numbers are still this close after 5 more years of playing, a conversation can be had. Otherwise sure, focus on their best 12 (prime) years each which will exclude probably the very earliest and latest years.

The last 4 years (this still includes 2020) he's averaged 20.87 disposals and 1.81 combined goals/assists. So 5 more years obviously you'd expect a further decline on that and his overall average would drop. Don't worry, he won't play that long anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe cats fans can assist with their best under 28 team
considering lists are being discussed

Richmond
Baker - Balta -Young
Rioli - Gibcus - Short
Ross - Hopper - Ralphsmith
Bolton
- Miller - Cumberland
M.Rioli
- Bardtke - Clarke
Ryan - Sonsie
- Banks - Graham
Brown - Trezise - Campbell - Coulthard - Mansell
Emerg : Bauer - Green - Smith - Nyuon - Colina - Dow

* Highlighted players already getting regular games when fit / available
I imagine it would be something very close to

Kolo SDK Esava
O'Connor J Henry Z Guthrie
Holmes Atkins
Knevitt
Miers Neale Stengle
Dempsey O Henry Close
Conway Bruhn Clark
Bowes Mullin Simpson Parfitt Hardie (could throw a blanket over a couple for the last few spots)

Bold are best 22
Italics are borderline best 22 depending on rotations, availability, etc
Conway would be playing now ahead of Ceglar if fit.

Yeh, that was a 4 year stretch (17-20) which won't be seen again as the team around him are no longer a premiership contending outfit.

It's been Bolton & Taranto who have been largely responsible for recent victories.
Martin's not even kicked a goal in three weeks.
During preseason, many were proclaiming 40+ goals which was utter nonsense.
He has had a lot of close calls, been hitting the post, touched on the line, he is very unselfish player to & gives a lot off.

I imagine it would be something very close to

Kolo SDK Esava
O'Connor J Henry Z Guthrie
Holmes Atkins
Knevitt
Miers Neale Stengle
Dempsey O Henry Close
Conway Bruhn Clark
Bowes Mullin Simpson Parfitt Hardie (could throw a blanket over a couple for the last few spots)

Bold are best 22
Italics are borderline best 22 depending on rotations, availability, etc
Conway would be playing now ahead of Ceglar if fit.
That is a terrible team .

That is a terrible team .

It doesn’t look great .. and they only have pick 10 and 82 in this years draft .. might end up better.

So they’ll have to go the FA route again… they almost have to nail 2-3 FA of quality this off season to replace the quality they’ll lose through retirement.

Darcy Parish and Himmelburg are must gets.

Geelong have 14 players well over 30 to replace in the next 2-3 years.
And Tigers will have 12 players over 30 to replace in next 2-3 years. Have you forgotten the oldest team ever won the AFL Premiership last year? Age is overrated

And Tigers will have 12 players over 30 to replace in next 2-3 years. Have you forgotten the oldest team ever won the AFL Premiership last year? Age is overrated

We have 9 over 30 at the moment .. basically we will 3 retire each year.. every year.

20FE8741-EE44-40F4-AE80-ECA88761C330.jpeg

Back