• Geelong

Votes: 88 38.6%
  • Richmond

Votes: 59 25.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tigers.

Ryan looks a good young ruck
Taranto, Hopper, Bolton, Prestia midfield is a great core with lots of time on their side.
Im a fan of their spine too.
Balta - Gibcus - Ryan - Miller - Lynch

Key forward is a need. Lynch isn't young, and Miller isn't a star, but a good 2nd KPF nonetheless.
the rest is really about recruiting in the easy to fill positions

Kpf is the biggest need no doubt

This is the area we need for sure .
Who said you were "cooked and free falling"?

I found it telling when all and sundry were saying Richmond were cooked and free falling, but Chris Scott still felt compelled to tell everyone he found the way to beat Richmond 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 and the delusional fool seems to have convinced himself he figured it out on his own 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You were cooked after 2020 as far as Richmond was concerned, but the stand rule did give you guys a new lease of life. The supporters of 16 other clubs never thought you were cooked, and I don't get why Geelong FC and it's supporters are making that up?

If anyone thought Geelong was "cooked and in free fall" and then they win a flag in '22, those people would marvel at what Geelong did in '22 correct? I didn't marvel at what Geelong did.

2022 was special needs outfit winning a flag in my honest opinion 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

It's the Geelong way, always needing a leg up, like you got when you won '07, '09 & '11. Did the fair play AFL not know that Geelong were gonna assemble a good list on the back of a father son rule that was changed once said list was assembled? Why not change it before?

Geelong is special, but not in the way Geelong supporters think 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

what about Dank and the weapon at Geelong in those glory years

Why do cats fans always freak out about that whenever it gets brought up

good post, but our 2014 turnaround was the greatest in AFL history. From 3:10, to scraping in for finals. Swans also had a nice turnaround in 2017 and were one of the premiership favourites before surprisingly going down to the cats in the semi.
Going from ordinary to scraping into finals is a bit pointless though if you just get dumped out in the first week. Which is sort of where I'm seeing Richmond at the moment. They're playing good footy and have gone from the season looking over to possibly scraping into finals from here. But if you then make a charge and win the flag it would be epic. Incredibly unlikely though.

I admire Richmond for deciding to have another crack this year. I would've gone about it differently (only one of Taranto or Hopper and looked at a cheapish key position player) but the idea makes sense. I'm just surprised that after being 3-7-1 you still are seeing Cumberland, Sonsie, Banks, Dow, etc struggling to get game time.

Going from ordinary to scraping into finals is a bit pointless though if you just get dumped out in the first week. Which is sort of where I'm seeing Richmond at the moment. They're playing good footy and have gone from the season looking over to possibly scraping into finals from here. But if you then make a charge and win the flag it would be epic. Incredibly unlikely though.

I admire Richmond for deciding to have another crack this year. I would've gone about it differently (only one of Taranto or Hopper and looked at a cheapish key position player) but the idea makes sense. I'm just surprised that after being 3-7-1 you still are seeing Cumberland, Sonsie, Banks, Dow, etc struggling to get game time.
Cumberland failed when given ample opportunity ..
Sonsie also ..
Banks was injured and is now knocking on the door to a much stronger side.
Dow was also given a chance but didn’t take it..,

There has been a cosmic shift in how we play in the last 4 weeks. Our next game in Brisbane is Massive…
If we make finals it won’t be scraping in…

Cumberland failed when given ample opportunity ..
Sonsie also ..
Banks was injured and is now knocking on the door to a much stronger side.
Dow was also given a chance but didn’t take it..,

There has been a cosmic shift in how we play in the last 4 weeks. Our next game in Brisbane is Massive…
If we make finals it won’t be scraping in…
This is very common when a new caretaker coach comes in… almost every time it occurs the side has a honeymoon period and gets on a little roll. Same thing even happened to Carlton with Teague… we all know how that turned out.

Not saying that will be Richmond’s destination, but it is a common trend we see when a caretaker comes in, that initial “spike” in results.

This is very common when a new caretaker coach comes in… almost every time it occurs the side has a honeymoon period and gets on a little roll. Same thing even happened to Carlton with Teague… we all know how that turned out.

Not saying that will be Richmond’s destination, but it is a common trend we see when a caretaker comes in, that initial “spike” in results.

Sorry but what has that got to do with picking players in form?

Teague took over from a coach that was desperate to change the culture of Carlton and build the foundations … Teague took over and put Ed Curnow back in the midfield and milked wins from a mid table team…

Mcqualter has simple out our best players in their best positions .. our foundation was already there.

Not much, just a general observation of caretaker coaching results. This is following a very similar script to other caretaker coaches

The massive difference is where we are at as a club… we’ve won 3 in a row and still not playing at our best.. but the improvement is there. We will get Hopper back soon, Soldo is back on the park and hopefully Lynch later…

Teague took over from a coach that was desperate to change the culture of Carlton and build the foundations … Teague took over and put Ed Curnow back in the midfield and milked wins from a mid table team…

Mcqualter has simple out our best players in their best positions .. our foundation was already there.
They all say the same thing when the caretaker coaches come in… they are a godsend and it’s different this time.

I am not saying this isn’t true, but history is suggesting it could be a caretaker coach honeymoon we have seen so many times

They all say the same thing when the caretaker coaches come in… they are a godsend and it’s different this time.

I am not saying this isn’t true, but history is suggesting it could be a caretaker coach honeymoon we have seen so many times

A bit like when Chris Scott took over hopefully 👍❤️

They don’t play for Geelong , so just because the are all Australian quality doesn’t mean they get the aa jumper .

That’s reserved for Geelong players who aren’t as good, but still get the aa jumpers

Hawkins v lynch , and Stewart v Sicily last year are evidence and proof beyond all reasonable doubt of that point that is for sure .

James Kelly another good ordinary plodder from Geelong that has has an aa jumper . Sorta bloke that would not even make the squad if he played for any other team .

There are heaps of em
That's a nice story but doesn't answer my question, how come Richmond isn't very good considering they are full to the brim with All Australian level players who just get snubbed but are definitely AA quality?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a nice story but doesn't answer my question, how come Richmond isn't very good considering they are full to the brim with All Australian level players who just get snubbed but are definitely AA quality?

It’s the half way mark of the season… Dusty doesn’t peak until the wattle starts blooming.

It’s the half way mark of the season… Dusty doesn’t peak until the wattle starts blooming.

Yeh, that was a 4 year stretch (17-20) which won't be seen again as the team around him are no longer a premiership contending outfit.

It's been Bolton & Taranto who have been largely responsible for recent victories.
Martin's not even kicked a goal in three weeks.
During preseason, many were proclaiming 40+ goals which was utter nonsense.

Yeh, that was a 4 year stretch (17-20) which won't be seen again as the team around him are no longer a premiership contending outfit.

It's been Bolton & Taranto who have been largely responsible for recent victories.
Martin's not even kicked a goal in three weeks.
During preseason, many were proclaiming 40+ goals which was utter nonsense.
He is rated the 5th best forward …. In the comp and that was Before the saints game…

He is rated the 5th best forward …. In the comp and that was Before the saints game…
58th in the league for goals.
16th for behinds.
75th for goal assists.
19th for score involvements.
60th for disposals.

Score involvements is pretty impressive - but still behind J.Cameron, Curnow, Greene, Hawkins, Miers, Lukosius, Rankine, Bolton and equal with Langford as far as forwards. He's need to be top 10 for a couple and top 20 for another of the above metrics for people to actually consider him a top 10 forward in the comp. Also, he has mostly played midfield for the past 6 weeks anyway.

58th in the league for goals.
16th for behinds.
75th for goal assists.
19th for score involvements.
60th for disposals.

Score involvements is pretty impressive - but still behind J.Cameron, Curnow, Greene, Hawkins, Miers, Lukosius, Rankine, Bolton and equal with Langford as far as forwards. He's need to be top 10 for a couple and top 20 for another of the above metrics for people to actually consider him a top 10 forward in the comp. Also, he has mostly played midfield for the past 6 weeks anyway.

Rated 9th overall all forward and 5th as a general forward… and climbing.

Rated 9th overall all forward and 5th as a general forward… and climbing.

I just go off raw stats and coaches votes but you do you.

I just go off raw stats and coaches votes but you do you.

If you go off raw stats, then surely you'd have to concede Dusty is closer to GAJ than most people believe given their overall career average stats are with 0.1-0.3 per game for most key measures...

If you go off raw stats, then surely you'd have to concede Dusty is closer to GAJ than most people believe given their overall career average stats are with 0.1-0.3 per game for most key measures...
His stats are an aggregate of 19 seasons. If you pick out the 12 in the middle ie prime years he averaged over 30 disposals and 2 goals/assists, which certainly no other player has achieved over a prolonged time since all 3 were recorded. Dusty's 12 prime years would be 2012 till now I assume? Still excellent stats but not quite that good. And 3x top 10 in the Coaches Votes Vs 8 (including a handful top 5, and 3x 1st).

So now making finals is a failure ?

Do you reckon the cats will make it ?

I mean with all those Al Australians it should be a Monty right ?

His stats are an aggregate of 19 seasons. If you pick out the 12 in the middle ie prime years he averaged over 30 disposals and 2 goals/assists, which certainly no other player has achieved over a prolonged time since all 3 were recorded. Dusty's 12 prime years would be 2012 till now I assume? Still excellent stats but not quite that good. And 3x top 10 in the Coaches Votes Vs 8 (including a handful top 5, and 3x 1st).

No. Picking out the middle 12 years is shifting the goalposts. Career averages take into account their early careers and twilight of their careers given it seems to be that people have been writing off Dusty as cooked this season...

You either take the stats as a whole, or don't use raw stats at all, as anyone can find any number of stats to suit their argument.

You said raw stats matter. Raw stats say that over their careers, Dusty and GAJ have had remarkably similar numbers.

Back