• Carlton

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Geelong

Votes: 88 38.6%
  • Richmond

Votes: 59 25.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our list has been 'in trouble' since 2010, and it completely fell off a cliff in 2022. We'll be fine.

1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Your club has set the standard .. I’m intrigued how you are going to keep doing it with limited picks in this years draft … I’m sure you’ll find away.

There'll be some highly talented boys who want 'to come home', even if they're not from Geelong. :grinv1:

A few handy players on that list.., I’d assume you’ll bring in 3-4 free agents rather than trying to trade in and using up more future picks. But I’ll probably be wrong.

Close, Bruhn, J.Henry, De Koning and Atkins in our best players tonight. Holmes upside is huge once he gets it all together. Most will be around for close to a decade, Atkins for a few years.

Was really just Rohan, Blicavs and Stewart out of the old boys. Rohan and Blicavs have a couple of years left at least, Stewart maybe one or two after that.

Cliff might not be quite as dramatic or imminent as people think.

Close, Bruhn, J.Henry, De Koning and Atkins in our best players tonight. Holmes upside is huge once he gets it all together. Most will be around for close to a decade, Atkins for a few years.

Was really just Rohan, Blicavs and Stewart out of the old boys. Rohan and Blicavs have a couple of years left at least, Stewart maybe one or two after that.

Cliff might not be quite as dramatic or imminent as people think.
It never was, and FWIW I feel similarly about Richmond.

Solid group of young players with a couple who reach star levels, couple of moneyball rookie picks, and a couple of FA additions is todays game. That's how you rebuild.

Geelong and Richmond are both on that track right now. It's not 2004 anymore, staying down the bottom for years at a time doesn't reap the rewards it once did, and those who do it only do it without choice.

Story for another day, but in some 'what if' universe where Jaegar reaches his potential and the Hawks land Lynch and Coniglio/Whitfield, they'd be in a similar position too. It's swings and roundabouts.

It might not work for every club, but it's worked for over a decade for the Cats, and I'd expect similar for Richmond.

FA has made our game far more like the NFL and NBA, where the good clubs rarely dip, and if they do, it's for a couple years at the max.

You're not going to win a flag every year....but you will be competitive for years at a time.

Neither method is perfect, by people seem to forget that bottoming out doesn't guarantee a flag, and you're going to despise all things football in the years it takes to attempt to get there.

At this stage JackR, Cotchin, Tarrant and possible Pickett gone at the end of the year…
Who does Geelong move on?

At this stage JackR, Cotchin, Tarrant and possible Pickett gone at the end of the year…
Tuohy seems likely, with O'Connor on the way to replacing.

Smith could be another, but with a less obvious replacement. Either Holmes and Duncan share the wings or someone like Dempsey or Knevitt plays most games.

Hawkins, Stanley, Rohan, Smith, Tuohy, Ceglar, Menegola are the 30+ without a contract for 2024

I'd say Ceglar and Menegola will go, neither best 22. Tuohy and Smith both best 22 but sometimes show signs of being cooked so would be listed as 'maybes' for now.

I reckon the tigers, we will shed our older players first and are ahead in the rebuild stage over Geelong. Both of us have been trying to rebuild on the run so I don’t think either of us will hit rock bottom.

Add in Taranto as a possible Brownlow winner, I think it looks good. We can still make finals this year without Lynch which says a lot about our list.

Not superstitious or anything but Carlton seem like a cursed club. Not going anywhere near them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the tigers, we will shed our older players first and are ahead in the rebuild stage over Geelong. Both of us have been trying to rebuild on the run so I don’t think either of us will hit rock bottom.

Add in Taranto as a possible Brownlow winner, I think it looks good. We can still make finals this year without Lynch which says a lot about our list.

Not superstitious or anything but Carlton seem like a cursed club. Not going anywhere near them.

Carlton still have superior young talent to both our clubs. Perhaps they need a few older players as they don't capitulate as quickly as 100 gamers.

If Voss allows them to play as they did last week, they can start winning again.

Carlton still have superior young talent to both our clubs.
I completely disagree with this.

If you say young talent is under 23 then Carlton have these players who have played AFL:

Walsh (92 games)
Kemp (12)
Philp (2)
Honey (16)
C Durdin (33)
Carroll (6)
Motlop (24)
Hollands (11)
Cowan (6)

Apart from Walsh who is 1 month from 23 that's pretty thin.

I'd take Geelong's group over them and I don't think it's close.

Holmes, Bruhn, DeKoning and Ollie Henry are playing bigger roles for Geelong than anyone on that Carlton list outside of Walsh. Jhye Clark was taken a few picks before Hollands and it's way too early to put one far ahead of the other.

Then Geelong has at least as much talent on the "maybe they will maybe they won't" group like Knevitt, Dempsey, Neale, Conway, Willis, etc.

I completely disagree with this.

If you say young talent is under 23 then Carlton have these players who have played AFL:

Walsh (92 games)
Kemp (12)
Philp (2)
Honey (16)
C Durdin (33)
Carroll (6)
Motlop (24)
Hollands (11)
Cowan (6)

Apart from Walsh who is 1 month from 23 that's pretty thin.

I'd take Geelong's group over them and I don't think it's close.

Holmes, Bruhn, DeKoning and Ollie Henry are playing bigger roles for Geelong than anyone on that Carlton list outside of Walsh. Jhye Clark was taken a few picks before Hollands and it's way too early to put one far ahead of the other.

Then Geelong has at least as much talent on the "maybe they will maybe they won't" group like Knevitt, Dempsey, Neale, Conway, Willis, etc.

I'm not focusing on under 23's though. In my opinion, a young list is anywhere from that group you mentioned right up to the 27-28 year old's.
If you removed all the guys who are 30+ (do they even have any?), Carlton are still a competitive team.
Obviously remove just 3 or 4 from Geelong and we fall away.

Curnow, McKay, Walsh, Weitering, Cerra, Hewett is a strong nucleus.
Kemp is showing excellent potential as too Hollands.

Don't get me wrong though, I know Geelong will have a kid or two who fall from the clouds and announce themselves as we saw with Duncan & Guthrie, absolutely no doubt about that but we also benefit considerably with free agency. And that's expected when you are a very well run organisation.

Blues are going hard at the draft this year and next year we'll pick up 2 reasonably rated father sons in the Camporeale twins. Our youth will need to be judged over the next couple of years. Hollands and Cowan look good role players of the future, potentially more, Kemp has looked amazing since coming back in and I still like Durdin a lot.

Motlop has gone to the dogs this year which has been disappointing, hopefully he can find a place in the side and some extra pace. Far too slow for a small forward.

Carlton still have superior young talent to both our clubs. Perhaps they need a few older players as they don't capitulate as quickly as 100 gamers.

If Voss allows them to play as they did last week, they can start winning again.

Don’t think Voss can make a difference with this list tbh. I don’t think they have good enough role players or star power to carry them to a flag.

Look at the difference in star power between our two clubs most recent flags and Carlton. The difference is stark.

1. Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Rance, Lynch

2. Selwood, Hawkins, Cameron, C Guthrie, Stewart

3. Cripps, McKay, Curnow, Walsh, Weitering

Carlton’s talent falls off a cliff after those 5 compared to us.

Blues are going hard at the draft this year and next year we'll pick up 2 reasonably rated father sons in the Camporeale twins. Our youth will need to be judged over the next couple of years. Hollands and Cowan look good role players of the future, potentially more, Kemp has looked amazing since coming back in and I still like Durdin a lot.

Motlop has gone to the dogs this year which has been disappointing, hopefully he can find a place in the side and some extra pace. Far too slow for a small forward.

True but that means you are essentially starting a rebuild again. Cripps and co will be retired by the time they get into their prime.

If you want to contend now you get players around the same age eg. Taranto and Hopper being similar age to Bolton (the next gen)

True but that means you are essentially starting a rebuild again. Cripps and co will be retired by the time they get into their prime.

If you want to contend now you get players around the same age eg. Taranto and Hopper being similar age to Bolton (the next gen)
I think high end draftees nowadays come in good enough to have an impact early on. I think we're going to try and rejig our list via the draft and maybe 1-2 mature players over the next couple of years and hope that with a bit better list balance we'll be able to perform better than our current top heavy set up.

I think high end draftees nowadays come in good enough to have an impact early on. I think we're going to try and rejig our list via the draft and maybe 1-2 mature players over the next couple of years and hope that with a bit better list balance we'll be able to perform better than our current top heavy set up.

Would you go 1-2 top end draftees or split them into 4-5 top 30 picks? I can see the pros for both. Bolton was 29 could get some real gems a bit lower down.

Would you go 1-2 top end draftees or split them into 4-5 top 30 picks? I can see the pros for both. Bolton was 29 could get some real gems a bit lower down.
Think we're going to be trying to trade in to two top 10 picks. Apparently asked the question to GWS and GCS already, I'd imagine we'll be aiming to get to one of Watson, Caddy, Duursma or Mckercher.

TDK picks, and our 2024 First + Some crap picks we get from trading Fisher, Silvagni, Dow, Mcgovern types.

Whether other teams are willing to come to the table with that stuff is another question but Cleary reported we're aiming to take 4 picks to the draft and given we currently have 5 and 2 picks in the 60s I'm expecting us to be fairly active come end of year.

Hawkins, Stanley, Rohan, Smith, Tuohy, Ceglar, Menegola are the 30+ without a contract for 2024

I'd say Ceglar and Menegola will go, neither best 22. Tuohy and Smith both best 22 but sometimes show signs of being cooked so would be listed as 'maybes' for now.
Hawkins still good enough to go again is he not. Will be interesting to see what happens. Seriously hate Geelong but respect they always find away to stay up there. So much for all good clubs come down at some stage.

I think there is alot more Pain coming the cats way as you are way more reliant on the likes of
Dangerfield , Hawkins , Duncan , Stewart etc than Richmond are on Cotchin , Riewoldt , Grimes etc
Well without Dangerfield, Guthrie and Cameron they did beat premiership contenders Melbourne.

No Martin and Prestia tonight (to go with the long term Lynch absence) - still plenty of the other old boys - and it's looked pretty grim.

Back