Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone else notice Bruce Mac in the channel seven commentary could hardly keep his pants on with excitement about Brisbane rolling us first half, then when we stormed all over them second half he was quite quiet and calm??
Everyone loves an underdog, and Brisbane have been so s**t for 15 years. I wouldn't read too much into it.

It's OK, they're going to rest Guthrie.
The more pressure for spots the more we will see from Guff and others of cause, it's called survival.But it does rely on selectors mind set, if it's best available balanced side given the conditions and opposition it works.Maybe except for finals i don't mind a spot given to a young project player to hopefully bring them on quicker who may not quite be best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great win by us at "home" in Sydney

Lots of issues to work on early but hung fat and got home easy in the end.

Everyone did well on the that one

Credit to Simmo with 26 plus touches. Worked hard all game and played like he belongs there.

Sel, PFD, Rohan, Fort, Sav.... great games

Good away win on a 5 day break

Did it with 2 down for 3/4 of the game

And credit the coaches - showed we have 2 game styles and took down the flying team of the comp this week.

Go Catters

Best team performance (especially after half time) I can remember in quite a while. We really don't mind Sydney for some bizarre reason. Had great wins there going back a long time.

Bruce was warming to the task in the second quarter. He essentially cremated Ablett and was busy writing our obituary in the main break.

The third quarter put paid to that silly idea.

bit like that bulldogs game years back where they wrote our obituary then we won by 100 points haha.

Very good football brain, makes the absolute maximum use of his limited physical attributes.
And if he can't win the hitout, he neutralises the opponent, even when the opponent "wins" the hitout - eg Gawn had 1 hitout to advantage at 1/2 time.

Spot on.
At pretty much every ruck contest he gets himself in to a strong position where at worst he makes it a 50/50 contest.
Unlike Stanley who at times who gets himself into awkward positions and subsequently gets outpointed easily at a contest.
Fort needs a prolonged run in the team even when Stanley is fit.
Esava’s ruck craft has also improved noticeably this year.

Played like a champion team but with a few champions as well😜
Backline overall were fantastic- even more impressive when you consider we gave them a couple of easy ones from skill errors.
We are very hard to beat when we get it into F50 quickly , more so when we mark it as well.
Great to see the lesser lights stepping up to complement our veterans.
Looking forward to seeing Simpson live next Thursday 👍

I hadn't noticed during the game but we did incredibly well without Stewart.

It's not surprising, per se, our defence is the strongest part of the team, bit his absence was something I'd totally forgotten about
They were very reliant on him for a few games to be the attacking player - this was very predictable for opposition coaches/teams. And he was not on song, so often we got caught out with his plays. Now the other backline players all get to take turns to attack.

I feel as if he's is like a 2009 Hawkins, He is marking everything up the ground, its only time and confidence before he puts everything together.

I think that's setting the bar a bit high as Hawkins is a generational player and I don't think Sav has that level of natural talent but I do agree there is massive upside with him and we need to persist with him.

I'd also like to think that with a bit more experience and confidence at the level, he could also hurt sides on the scoreboard in the AFL.

He's still getting pushed aside a bit by the bigger bodies, but is at least making up for it on the ground.

I agree..i still worry he can get pushed aside by a bigger body and bossed in a final (Grundy next week is a test of this) but his second efforts are great and he is the best ruck we currently have IMO. an A grade ruck is still the missing piece of the puzzle for us though.

27 touches (the equivalent of 34 in the full-length game) - and a lot of hard ball in the second half - was so far beyond anything I expected of him, it was nuts.

A bit of a testament to our player development again - 53rd in the Rookie Draft. Google says 180cm and 74kg - if he's still only 74, I'll eat my working-from-home setup. Looks like he's in fantastic shape.

I have to give credit to both him for developing and our coaches for playing him as a full time mid in the VFL last year...i thought he was just a small forward but they have really added something o his game and I'd like to see him get a block of games from here. the kid really puts his head over the ball for a little guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back