Opinion Say NO to a 2020* Grand Final at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

arrowman

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
So, apparently the bidding war for the Grand Final has begun, and I believe that figures of $30+ million are being bandied around (for a State to pay the AFL / Victorian Government) for the rights.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-for-the-afl-grand-final-20200824-p55oqj.html

Now, it seems that SA’s chances of hosting the GF are not great, for a variety of reasons. But I believe that not only should we not care about this, we should actively voice opposition to our participation in the bidding war.

In normal times, South Australians might jump at the chance to host a GF - and be prepared to pay for it. But these are not normal times.

COVID has hit the SA economy and community hard. Community support organisations are experiencing a major spike in calls for emergency relief. People who would, in normal times, be able to get by, are losing their jobs / hours of work and having to make choices about buying food and paying the rent. They are turning up to food hubs / support centres for assistance in putting food on the table. These things are not visible to the broader community, but they are real.

In that environment, do the people of SA really need to be handing over large amounts of money to the AFL and the Victorian Government, so that we can host a football match?

I’m normally on side with the “bread and circuses” thing. But this is not a Tour Down Under, or a Grand Prix, or a Supercar race. It’s not even Pandas 😊 It is not an event that will generate significant incoming tourism, year on year. It is not an event that will generate internal economic activity beyond, perhaps, what any other MCG-based GF would. And it’s an event that the great majority of South Australians will not even be able to attend.

When the AFL gives us the opportunity to pay for hosting rights to a “full” Grand Final, by all means let us go for it. But this is nothing more than a one-off transfer of money from SA taxpayers to (in part) the government that created this mess, in return for hosting a pale imitation of a Grand Final. It is (undeserved) charity.

Imagine the kudos (and political points) that a State Premier might gain by saying No to the GF bid, and instead publicly committing that money to supporting South Australians in need.

https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/contact

Last edited:
I have to imagine that at least part of the opposition to the SA grand final is due to the Crows and Port respective ladder position.

That being said I live in Queensland and I don't want us hosting the grand final up here this year either as I think it's a huge waste of money, so I certainly think that argument is valid and stands on its own merit.

One thing I'll disagree with is the finger pointing at the Victorian government as the one who 'created this mess'. That credit should go to the federal government who have so far managed to slime their way out of it thanks to Murdoch.

I have to imagine that at least part of the opposition to the SA grand final is due to the Crows and Port respective ladder position.
Not going to deny that that makes it an easier principle to stand on :)

One thing I'll disagree with is the finger pointing at the Victorian government as the one who 'created this mess'. That credit should go to the federal government who have so far managed to slime their way out of it thanks to Murdoch.
Let's not get too political on this, but also - there's only one state that can't host the GF. So yeah, the Vic Govt created this problem for themselves.

But OK, refusing to pay for the hosting rights for the asterisk GF should not be because "up yours" to the Victorian government. But it could also be "why should we?".

So, apparently the bidding war for the Grand Final has begun, and I believe that figures of $30+ million are being bandied around (for a State to pay the AFL / Victorian Government) for the rights.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-for-the-afl-grand-final-20200824-p55oqj.html

Now, it seems unlikely that SA’s chances of hosting the GF are not great, for a variety of reasons. But I believe that not only should we not care about this, we should actively voice opposition to our participation in the bidding war.

In normal times, South Australians might jump at the chance to host a GF - and be prepared to pay for it. But these are not normal times.

COVID has hit the SA economy and community hard. Community support organisations are experiencing a major spike in calls for emergency relief. People who would, in normal times, be able to get by, are losing their jobs / hours of work and having to make choices about buying food and paying the rent. They are turning up to food hubs / support centres for assistance in putting food on the table. These things are not visible to the broader community, but they are real.

In that environment, do the people of SA really need to be handing over large amounts of money to the AFL and the Victorian Government, so that we can host a football match?

I’m normally on side with the “bread and circuses” thing. But this is not a Tour Down Under, or a Grand Prix, or a Supercar race. It’s not even Pandas 😊 It is not an event that will generate significant incoming tourism, year on year. It is not an event that will generate internal economic activity beyond, perhaps, what any other MCG-based GF would. And it’s an event that the great majority of South Australians will not even be able to attend.

When the AFL gives us the opportunity to pay for hosting rights to a “full” Grand Final, by all means let us go for it. But this is nothing more than a one-off transfer of money from SA taxpayers to (in part) the government that created this mess, in return for hosting a pale imitation of a Grand Final. It is (undeserved) charity.

Imagine the kudos (and political points) that a State Premier might gain by saying No to the GF bid, and instead publicly committing that money to supporting South Australians in need.

How would the AFL feel if all the states refused to pay to the AFL GF because of the sleezy way that it was deviously allocated to Melbourne literally 30years or forever . The Vic government doesn't want it in NSW. Maybe scared it would loose it.
Could it cause a rethink of their position.

That being said I live in Queensland and I don't want us hosting the grand final up here this year either as I think it's a huge waste of money, so I certainly think that argument is valid and stands on its own merit.

🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂

Now, it seems unlikely that SA’s chances of hosting the GF are not great, for a variety of reasons. But I believe that not only should we not care about this, we should actively voice opposition to our participation in the bidding war.

Malinaskaus is a rabid Port supporter from well before they were in the AFL, and what a great character test this would be for him to come out and say this money is better invested into healthcare and hospitals for the people of South Australia - instead of lining the pockets of an organization that has done literallynothing for the people of SA over the last 30 years.

If only we didn't' do such a great job of hosting this one.

1598410080813.png

I can't believe that the SAG are considering, in fact, going ahead with the idea of spending $30m on the game, when it won't contribute to many visitors to SA and would do bugger all for the economy.

Spend that money on a few more ICU beds, roll out solar to local schools, give it to people who have recently lost their jobs, or just add it to the kitty for more MPs to rort as a travel allowance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently we will allow 25k, we’ll get laughed out the door, so it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

I think this push by the state government is more about securing a semi final or a prelim here, especially if Port earn the right to host one.

We should be using the $30m to attract the Boxing Day test and/or the Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Talk was that the NBL may have a hub here when the season starts in December. That's even better than a GF.

Don't care if it was Crows. Not going to pay the AFL to have a ginger-step-child version of the GF, only to revert back to MCG for 50 years once they stop spitting on each other over the border.

Last edited:
It won't be here so I don't think there is much point worrying about it. I think it has been a done deal for weeks with Queensland.

I suspect there is a small part of some Victorians happy it won't be in Adelaide and Perth.

You ppl are crazy. A great GF at AO this year is a great way to try to break the MCG/Vic gov stranglehold. Let the power brokers come and experience it.
The stranglehold is set in stone for the next 30 years. No amount of "experiencing" it is going to change that. And anyway, what is it about a GF played at a half capacity Adelaide Oval that would change a "power broker" mind?

Whichever state hosts it will be acting as a fill-in / stopgap, nothing more.

We should be using the $30m to attract the Boxing Day test and/or the Formula 1 Grand Prix.

Talk was that the NBL may have a hub here when the season starts in December. That's even better than a GF.

Don't care if it was Crows. Not going to pay the AFL to have a ginger-step-child version of the GF, only to revert back to MCG for 50 years once they stock spitting on each other over the border.
I don't think Jen has much sway in such matters.

The stranglehold is set in stone for the next 30 years. No amount of "experiencing" it is going to change that. And anyway, what is it about a GF played at a half capacity Adelaide Oval that would change a "power broker" mind?

Whichever state hosts it will be acting as a fill-in / stopgap, nothing more.
I feel that anything could happen in the future. This year has raised the conversation about moving the GF around the country. Even Vic media have started to agree that its not fair to keep it in Vic. Of course there are those clubs that use the MCG as a home ground who carry a lot of weight like Richmond/Collingwood who would fight any change. But I do believe that slowly things will change. We have seen already over the years the change in where finals are played. Non Vic states have the right to play their finals at home if they have won that right. Pressure can always be mounted on the Vic Gov. One thing is for sure ...money talks.

$30m?!
Imagine both the sheer amount of money the AFL could earn *and* the national promotion that the game would receive if they held a GF auction* every year...

*conditions apply:
- states cannot host for more than two consecutive years
- stadium capacity must reach at least 65k
- GF auction includes hosting rights for Brownlow Award and GF Parade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back