Opinion Say NO to a 2020* Grand Final at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

So the asking price is $30M for a commercially handicapped GF yet Vic/MCC secure the rights to host the thing until 2057 at a tick over $500m which by the time that agreement runs out would have an annualised value comparable to the cost of buying an upper middle class house in the suburbs.

Pass.

The AFL frankly should be paying a state to take it off their hands so they can honor its own contractual commitments.

I don't think our government is serious about a GF but is trying to distract people on real issues like Travel rorts, Border closures, members refusing to give evidence to ICAC, transport, hospitals, Covid marshalls etc, etc. Just like Labor did many time when under pressure.

I am intrigued why the Premier is making such a big deal of us bidding. All reports are the decision was made weeks ago. Either the AFL is stringing him along and he is going to look like an idiot or maybe we are a genuine chance.

I am intrigued why the Premier is making such a big deal of us bidding. All reports are the decision was made weeks ago. Either the AFL is stringing him along and he is going to look like an idiot or maybe we are a genuine chance.
PR

He can say they tried. Not his fault the AFL said no.

Even though I doubt they actually did.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PR

He can say they tried. Not his fault the AFL said no.

Even though I doubt they actually did.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I get that but it's also not a good look when he gets told no. In particular when the Commissioner has gone public stating there will be exemptions for some Victorians. Maybe you are right to be seen to be having a go looks good enough.

A neutral is better than an away, but a home is better than a neutral. Moot or not, they hypothetical scenario was proposed and you answered based on those circumstances. Given everything that is against you to turn down an advantage if one were to present itself is absolute insanity.

These kinds of attitudes used to cause me despair. I'd read in disbelief that people who were supposedly after the same thig I was (An AFC premiership) would so gladly time and again shoot themselves in the foot and ask for another bullet. Ya think the Vic supporters are saying "Ya know, it would be great if we had a neutral GF, or a GF hosted by the team that earns it", no they aren't becuse they have a good thing going and they'll fight to keep it.

Yeah, probably.
I’m not into hypotheticals. Should it ever present itself in my lifetime (it won’t), and we could benefit from it, sure, why not! Bottom line is, we aren’t, it isn’t, end of story.

I’m not into hypotheticals.
The why TF did you respond to one?

Should it ever present itself in my lifetime (it won’t), and we could benefit from it, sure, why not!
Completely the opposite to your original post. Which to be fair, an inconsistent flip-flopping message is also 100% on AFC brand!

Bottom line is, we aren’t, it isn’t, end of story.
I get why you're not into hypotheticals, you seem to have no grasp of the concept. Of course it isn't how things are that's why it's a mfn hypothetical.

Queensland deserve the GF. They saved the AFL season and took the risk - WA and SA made it difficult at the start (and still do) and that is what should be the remembered.
Yes. If it was a decision based purely on "merit" then of course Qld gets it. Plus of course it's not an AFL heartland, so it's a marketing opportunity.

And the AFL would IMO be leaning very heavily in that direction, but they probably want to (a) be seen to be even-handed and (b) make some $$$ by pushing up the price with competitive bids.

(b) might not work too well, given McGowan (I believe) has pretty much said he's not prepared to be gouged on price and probably SA won't be able/willing to pay as much as Qld.

Pretty obvious the blatant bias you have because Port may be in the gf.
I know you're not responding to me, but it's a common sentiment (getting lurk likes / LOLs on my OP from Port supporters, presumably for that reason).

- Of course it's easier to say "no GF for AO" (if we have to bid / compete for it) when the Crows aren't a chance. But at the same time, I can put my hand on my heart and say that my reasons for posting have nothing to do with the prospect of Port being in the GF. I'd still be saying it if Port were no chance.

- It's just a bonus :)

I doubt whether we will even be talk about about re the grand final in SA,
The AFL want exemptions for key poersonnel and key sponsers currently in Melbourne,
At this time the SA government cannot grant those exemptions,
I believe Qld has and WA has not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GF in Adelaide? Sure why not

$30m for no visitors, half a crowd and a 2 minute pre-game ad showing Colonel Light's statue and the Barossa which no-one will watch? Are you crazy?

Waverley hosted the 1991 GF between Hawthorn and W Coast. Does anyone even remember?

Give me one single example of how anyone could possibly think the SA Government could turn this $30m investment into even a cent of profit.

Please. One, single, solitary, commercial example of how this one day generates $30m + 1c of revenue and isn't partly funded by the taxpayer.

Give me one single example of how anyone could possibly think the SA Government could turn this $30m investment into even a cent of profit.

Please. One, single, solitary, commercial example of how this one day generates $30m + 1c of revenue and isn't partly funded by the taxpayer.

that’s just your lack of experience and knowledge

that’s just your lack of experience and knowledge

No, that isn’t a valid response.

There will be minimal $$$ spent from interstate visitors and crowd numbers will be capped at 25k. This is a three hour event.

Who gets to keep the ticket sales? Who gets to keep the sale of corporate boxes?

The only way any of this changes is a relaxation of quarantine from Victoria (extremely unlikely).

$30m is a waste of taxpayers money.

No, that isn’t a valid response.

There will be minimal $$$ spent from interstate visitors and crowd numbers will be capped at 25k. This is a three hour event.

Who gets to keep the ticket sales? Who gets to keep the sale of corporate boxes?

The only way any of this changes is a relaxation of quarantine from Victoria (extremely unlikely).

$30m is a waste of taxpayers money.

I don’t think a low middle manager gets to say what is a valid response

What is it with scumbags on this blog?

Yeh, because become a senior manager puts one in the same league as Chapman. Just because you get to the top means you are better than those below you. It just means you play the brown nose and political games better. I have no respect for senior management anywhere.

Last edited:
The way I see it, by allowing the AFL to play the GF in Adelaide (or Brisbane or Perth), the relevant state government there is doing the AFL a favour, not the other way around. It's the AFL that is in a tight spot, given that the stadium that they so willingly jumped to sign on to play the game at for the rest of most of our lives is now unavailable. If they'd actually approached the issue as a national competition - say by having the GF rotate between each state each year, it would be a much simpler issue. It was supposed to be in Vic this year but that's not possible, so we'll swap it with next year's venue, then after having next year at the MCG we can return to the regular rotation. Instead, their blatant Victorian bias has blown up in their faces and all I'm doing is laughing.

Play it at Adelaide Oval by all means, but the AFL should be paying $30m to our state for the privilege. The state shouldn't be forking out a single cent. SA, WA and Qld governments should be bending the AFL over on this one and demanding significant payment for the right to have a grand final at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back