Review Cats defeat Doggies by 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure we have work to do, but we were 2 men down v Brisbane, remember? No excuse for the Bulldogs only managing 3 goals after 1Q.

What I admired was how the Cats responded after 1Q.

There's no doubt them having no run in their legs in the last 5 minutes due to lack of rotations helped us win.

But in qtr 2 and 3 where we got our gamestyle back and stopped them moving the ball and they only scored one goal that wasn't due to injuries it was due to the adjustments we made.

Feels good to think we're currently top of the ladder and think we've still got to fit 2 of the best 3 Brownlow vote getters amongst current players (and 2 of the top 10 All-time) back into the side in Gaz and Joel.

Then Danger did a Micky Turner Special, booting it not only OOF, but into the bloody grandstand.

Oh yeah..i think it may have been in a game against the pies around the start of the 80's, in a petulant display Micky turner booted the footy i think over the Moorabool St wing once!

But back then, it wasn't too hard a task pre-Hickey stand.

I was just wondering where Bont was during the last quarter. If that was Parfitt's job, well done young man. :thumbsu:

According to the Geelong FC website, Bont was going head to head with Paddy in the last quarter. Paddy had 12 touches - Bont just a couple.

I don’t want to take any credit for last nights win but.
At quarter time
I changed out of my t shirt as I felt it was bad luck, I unreclined my chair and sat at the edge of my chase as I have been for the last month of footy and I finally got Kayo working so didn’t have to watch 7 and it’s 97 ads.
What I’m saying is, I might not have been the difference but I’m pretty sure I helped

Nice one calder_daddy 👍

I too made a contribution - finished off a glass of a left over cleanskin on the 1/4 time siren.
Then proceeded to open something more appealing for the rest of the game- hey presto we turn the game on its head😜

I was just wondering where Bont was during the last quarter. If that was Parfitt's job, well done young man. :thumbsu:

Parfitt was right up in his grill, gave Bont a few shoves to get him away from the dangerous spots at stoppages, thought he looked very switched-on and clearly relished the responsibility.

I don’t want to take any credit for last nights win but.
At quarter time
I changed out of my t shirt as I felt it was bad luck, I unreclined my chair and sat at the edge of my chase as I have been for the last month of footy and I finally got Kayo working so didn’t have to watch 7 and it’s 97 ads.
What I’m saying is, I might not have been the difference but I’m pretty sure I helped
I reverted to one of my old superstitions and stopped watching, so I am sharing your credit.

Last edited:
Watching the replay.

Easton Wood went off with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. Not exactly two down for most of the game. Will concede that he was a pretty big loss for them, was holding things together when we had the run of it in the 2nd.

Blitz was massive in making sure we had control of the play from qtr time onwards. Stewart also stepped up big time. Stuv probably provided as much or more than he ever has in the hoops, certainly didn't look out of place as he has in a few games this season.

Yeah - and how many games have Geel had multiple players done for the night early in the past 2-3 years - and still won or gone very close - quite a few actually

Obviously 1-2 players down doesnt help - but its not 4-5

I think Beveridge is being very patronising to his players - saying proud of their effort - with 2 players down

WB performance last night was a carbon copy of their performance against Port at the Adelaide Oval - they looked like a million bucks to h/time ( should have been plus 6 goals in front ) - and it was the same in the 1st qtr against Cats last night - Geel might have been off - but the Dogs still played great football

Then after h/time - they look like a completely team - got no idea why - go from Chocolates to boiled lollies - thats why im not getting carried away with Geelongs performance last night

Great shutdown job by Kolo but man, can his footskills desert him- totally miss directed a simple 25 metre switch pass to Guthrie late in the game and the ball went OOB. The look on Guthrie’s face actually made me laugh - he didn’t look at Kolo but looked furious. None of that thumbs up don’t worry mate - he was p*ssed off.
I don't necessarily disagree but a tad selective, no mention of Danger or Henry kicking OOB.?

At times our midfield looked like chihuahuas being pitted against great danes but good experience for the younger (less experienced) guys playing against the Bont, Dunkley & Macrae.

The defence was clunky in the 1st 1/4, kudos to the coaches for making the changes.

Brilliant comeback, bring on the Tigers.

According to the Geelong FC website, Bont was going head to head with Paddy in the last quarter. Paddy had 12 touches - Bont just a couple.
You seem them jostling at the centre bounces. Paddy just too strong and experienced. I reckon he got into Bont's head.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles have Ess, WB and St Kilda all in Qld, I can't see them winning all 3 of those given its a final for all 3 of those teams to make the 8
I can see them winning all 3 comfortably - they wernt disgraced Rich - with JK who is very important to them

Eagles will beat Dogs and Saints in a canter . Ess with Danniher - maybe the Dons have got a flukers hope of an upset

Rich are a very very good side - Geel would want to improve alot on last night

Parfitt was right up in his grill, gave Bont a few shoves to get him away from the dangerous spots at stoppages, thought he looked very switched-on and clearly relished the responsibility.

I know we don't really utilise a hard lockdown tagging type role, but Parfitt this year seems to have been given regular run with role or at least playing as a defensive midfielder at stoppages to limit an opponent's impact

He'll then still provide an attacking option when we have the ball

As you said, he really seems to be relishing that type of role

How soft was that Dogs defender that tried to milk the free after running into Hawkins when Rohan took the mark in the goal square
That was former Geelong listed player, Ryan Gardner - wonder how many times something like that happened at training if he was defensively opposed to Hawkins like in match sim

I can see why we moved him on :p

Having blokes like Harry, Lonners, Blitz and Henderson ahead of him in the defensive KPP pecking order might've had something to do with it too.

Crows and dogs just flooding back to block the space last two weeks. Will find it difficult to get one out from here . Other forwards should be utilized according to Mooney. Agree
Flooding back over and over again takes a serious number of repeat sprints. Possible factor in us generally lifting late in games?

Having blokes like Harry, Lonners, Blitz and Henderson ahead of him in the defensive KPP pecking order might've had something to do with it too.
I'm kinda curious how many times Hawkins has ragdolled our defenders during match sim

Oh yeah..i think it may have been in a game against the pies around the start of the 80's, in a petulant display Micky turner booted the footy i think over the Moorabool St wing once!

But back then, it wasn't too hard a task pre-Hickey stand.
Talk about frustration, what about this one?

Lets not get carried away regarding Rohan. Injuries to Wood and Vandermeer meant he was very lucky with the match up on Gardner and was able to get 2 goals because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back