Review Cats defeat Doggies by 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watched replay twice (admittedly not the first quarter) and feel there is a fair bit of sloppiness to correct.
The younger crew HTB and despite the acknowledged high pressure, errant kicks from most of ours on the backline won't wash going forward.
Won't name, you know the incidents.
Guthrie and Menegola were often HTB guilty in the past (much to our chagrin) but have appeared to correct that capacity.
So maybe a wise word to the likes of O'Connor and Atkins on a bit of technique-you've got to be seen struggling like a flapping sardine.

Laughed at Dahl's focus in the huddle, honestly if you've ever seen a madman death stare, it's a wonder Scott didn't melt.
And again at Rohan's smashing determination, especially late when he wanted to risk life and limb, so manic!
We have a little redhead (Iggy) who has the same single mindedness, therefore Gaz is a family favourite.

Player ratings from last nights game - how embarrassed do you think Bruce would be today considering that he was the least effective player from last night, even below Vandemeer who went off in the first half.

Bruce ended up with 3/4s of negativity according to this system

What a satisfying game to watch. The first quarter obviously left alot to be desired but I could help but feel that there was no way the Dogs could keep having everything go so well, and us the everything so bad. Was there live, surrounded by very loud and obnoxious Bulldogs fans who grew more and more quiet as the match wore on. Its a marathon not a sprint, and was good to see the sustained effort for the last three quarters of the match. I lost my voice by the end of the match... worth it!

A great win. One for the archives amongst a number of great efforts this year.

Previously it was Joel who would ‘will’ the team back into games where we were struggling. The huge positive last night, was that the whole team seemed to have that focused resolve. Bottle it.
Fair to say that Danger was the prime exemplar but man, the absolute belief in the game plan in all the team was palpable.

Some observations -

- Really good reset by the mids at Qtr time. Parfitt played Bont a little tighter and Guthrie appeared to move to a semi tag at bounces which limited the easy Bulldog clearance. Stanley, Blitz and Henry then totally smothered English, who has been a catalyst for them and started well. And of course Danger.

- First quiet game from Sam. May have had a semi tag. Given his impact this season it likely to happen again - opportunity for Sam to plan on how to counter.

Things to work on -

- we’ve seemed to fix those slow starts of prior years and possibly last night’s Q1 was an aberration but reckon the team should watch it and dissect. GWS put in a similar Q1 last GF and were destroyed. Rare event to play like that it a final and survive.

- If our defence has had a weakness this year it’s the super agile, smart marking forward. Greene, De Goey, Kennedy and Naughton. Not sure who our best match up is. One to work on as a priority.

Last edited:
Watched replay twice (admittedly not the first quarter) and feel there is a fair bit of sloppiness to correct.
The younger crew HTB and despite the acknowledged high pressure, errant kicks from most of ours on the backline won't wash going forward.
Won't name, you know the incidents.
Guthrie and Menegola were often HTB guilty in the past (much to our chagrin) but have appeared to correct that capacity.
So maybe a wise word to the likes of O'Connor and Atkins on a bit of technique-you've got to be seen struggling like a flapping sardine.

Laughed at Dahl's focus in the huddle, honestly if you've ever seen a madman death stare, it's a wonder Scott didn't melt.
And again at Rohan's smashing determination, especially late when he wanted to risk life and limb, so manic!
We have a little redhead (Iggy) who has the same single mindedness, therefore Gaz is a family favourite.
whilst I’m hugely in favour of the HTB when there is any clear decision to play on or even a half fend (Tigers get away with that constantly), the sudden death/zero opportunity HTB interpretation is massively harsh. Hated it last night but the only positive I can say was that the umps were consistent with it. We were pinged early a couple of times but the Bulldogs had a few of those sudden death HTBs that were hugely costly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

whilst I’m hugely in favour of the HTB when there is any clear decision to play on, bulk or even a half fend (Tigers get away with that constantly), the sudden death/zero opportunity HTB interpretation is massively harsh. Hated it last night but the only positive I can say was that the umps were consistent with it. We were pinged early a couple of times but the Bulldogs had a few of those sudden death HTBs that were hugely costly.

It is hugely costly, and mostly always controversial.
I see red when they lie there still like stuffed mullets, eyes pleading.
FFS at this level, if you can't get it out, thrash around a bit. Selwood is great showing the ump massive attempt.
We can tell they're gone by the pause the ump takes on the whistle, why can't they?

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Stanley but he was huge too.
Good comeback but lets be honest. Doggies were two men down and it showed.

we have work to do.
We were two men down against Brisbane ... that was early too. It means nothing,

If you want a bit of a giggle, the Richmond Opposition Watch thread goes for over 12 pages for tonight's game.

Watching them go from adulation to anger is hilarious

Starts page 14 and ends on 27 or so
Most on that board appear as though they're either about to hit their teenage years or they're not all there. Their mods are nutcases too.

Not sure about that I think if we lose to the Tigers and Port, Lions, w/c, Richmond and Geelong win all other games for the H@A we still finish 4th and W/C 5th provided we maintain our %
Nah we lose to tigers best we can do is 12 wins = 48 points
Eagles win all games will be 13 wins = 52 points.
We need them to lose one if we don’t beat tigers.

Oh yeah..i think it may have been in a game against the pies around the start of the 80's, in a petulant display Micky turner booted the footy i think over the Moorabool St wing once!

But back then, it wasn't too hard a task pre-Hickey stand.
We have similar but differing memories. I remember being at a game at KP as a youngster and Ronnie Wearmouth barrelled one out over the fence into moorabool St.

Last edited:
Kolo getting his rightful plaudits:

Mr Shutdown
Since returning from injury, Jake Kolodjashnij has slotted perfectly into the Cats backline as a shutdown defender. After blanketing Tex Walker in his 200th game last weekend, Kolodjashnij was tasked with stopping Bulldog Mitch Wallis on Friday night. Wallis has been in incredible form recently having booted 10 goals in his last five games. Kolodjashnij was hyper focussed on the task at hand on Friday night keeping Wallis to six disposals and no goals whilst having eight disposals and three inside 50s himself.

Danger vs Bont:
In 30 minutes opposed to Dogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli, Danger had 12 disposals to his opponent’s two showing his ability to win the ball and defend his opponent.

More at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back