Review Round 17 - vs Collingwood @ The Gabba (14/9/20 at 7:10pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Murtagh, Rosas, Farrar, Sharp, Joyce played today against Collingwood in the scrimmage. Nice pictures on FB. Dew was the umpire.

In that case, you'd have to say it's extremely unlikely any of those players will line up for us on Monday night. Did Will Brodie play?

In that case, you'd have to say it's extremely unlikely any of those players will line up for us on Monday night. Did Will Brodie play?
A lot of pictures but no Brodie, Wright, Lemmens, Holman, Fiorini.

My guess only one change on Monday - Harbrow replacing Budarick.

Collingwood Stephenson played too.

Last edited:

I rather play Ben at backline than drop him. As good Ben is as forward, Max is more natural.

Not to be a campaigner but some of the suggestions I see on this board are lunacy. In what world would we drop King for Murtagh. I can only laugh.
Perhaps I went a week early with the suggestion to play the younger guys on our list that haven't debuted yet. Certainly not suggesting King should be dropped. Rather a suggestion that Dew may look to wrap some of the guys in cotton wool late in the season. Again, I probably went a week too early.

Only debutant i wanna see is Farrar, he is what 23-25? no put recruiting mature agers if he don't see them play

Yeah looks like (from video also from a fan who was at training tonight) for the pies side:
Treloar, De Goey and Varcoe. IN for Lynch, Phillips (Injured) and Stevo.

looks like some suns players filled in on the pies team, to make up the numbers going by those photos.

I don't see Brodie, or Holman or..Lemmens. Or Wright.

Perhaps I went a week early with the suggestion to play the younger guys on our list that haven't debuted yet. Certainly not suggesting King should be dropped. Rather a suggestion that Dew may look to wrap some of the guys in cotton wool late in the season. Again, I probably went a week too early.
About 2 years too early. If ever. He's a project player and should only ever be played if he's playing better than an incumbent which he is years from doing at this point, if ever.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4

A lot of pictures but no Brodie, Wright, Lemmens, Holman, Fiorini.

My guess only one change on Monday - Harbrow replacing Budarick.

Collingwood Stephenson played too.
Stephenson played in the reserves?
I know he has been down on form but I'd be very worried about him.

Only debutant i wanna see is Farrar, he is what 23-25? no put recruiting mature agers if he don't see them play
He seems to have been an upside recruit. Think there was always going to be a year of development. Fully agree with you though, mature agers should only be given so long.

Was playing SANFL reserves last year but he has got a good write up in most of the practice games recently.
Wouldn't mind to see what he's got.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 2 years too early. If ever. He's a project player and should only ever be played if he's playing better than an incumbent which he is years from doing at this point, if ever.

James Brayshaw IQ = 4
From what U have heard about these scratch matches , 15 a side , players playing on opposite teams, 8 X 10 minute quarters they are glorified match Sims. To ask a player to from this to an AFL game would be like asking a club cricketer to play in a test match. The sad part is that some of these kids have lost a year of development. Watching the Palm Beach match yesterday I could see players like B Crossley and Buckland had really developed their games, don't think some of your listed players would have. With the soft being cut and possibly list sizes think that you will need players that are ready to go and the project players may be overlooked as their is no one to develop them anymore

Last edited:
Fair enough. I won't profess to have seen him play live. I'm really just going off reports on the club website and they sound reasonably positive. If he's still a long way off then obviously you don't play him. It's hard to know with project players because we've seen guys like Kurt Tippett who took just one season in the SANFL to be ready and then on the other side you see a guy like Archie Smith who took nearly three full seasons in the NEAFL to be ready for an AFL debut. One thing I do know is Murtagh is athletically gifted. He can jump higher than Nic Naitanui and is only a few centimetres shorter than him. If he can learn to play the game at a high level then we've got a serious player on our hands. If not, we've just got another Joel Wilkinson.

Back on topic. Hopefully we can push Collingwood in this one and show we're not that far off the mark in terms of the top 8. Brisbane are legitimate contenders this year but I think there's a fairly large drop off after the top 4/5 and Collingwood is one of those teams I consider to be in the lower tier of the top 8. Collingwood will be fired up for this one though because a win would secure finals for them so I'm expecting a really tough battle as long as we show up.

I got row GG this time at least

last Wednesday I could maybe see half of the field? Absolute joke tickets
Don't know if you saw my post on Wednesday night but I legit felt like Marge being stuck behind that pilar up in the nose bleeds, But at least if I was in the nosebleeds I could have seen the ball when they kicked for goal :rolleyes:

Like I'm a pretty easy going bloke (most of the time) but as someone that goes to 90% of games by himself, I have a fundamental issue with being forced to pay double just because i'm by myself. Especially considering that we don't have this issue at Metricon.

Unless I get stupidly lucky again with someones mate dropping out I'm gonna catch this one from the couch, At Least I'll be able to keep Sunny company with her rollercoaster ride of posts in the game thread :tearsofjoy:

I know Victorians will get up me for being ungrateful that at least I get to go to a game but I'm willing to bet that they'd be up in arms over that view also.

Please @ me if anyone feels like im being unreasonable.

End Rant.

Don't know if you saw my post on Wednesday night but I legit felt like Marge being stuck behind that pilar up in the nose bleeds, But at least if I was in the nosebleeds I could have seen the ball when they kicked for goal :rolleyes:

Like I'm a pretty easy going bloke (most of the time) but as someone that goes to 90% of games by himself, I have a fundamental issue with being forced to pay double just because i'm by myself. Especially considering that we don't have this issue at Metricon.

Unless I get stupidly lucky again with someones mate dropping out I'm gonna catch this one from the couch, At Least I'll be able to keep Sunny company with her rollercoaster ride of posts in the game thread :tearsofjoy:

I know Victorians will get up me for being ungrateful that at least I get to go to a game but I'm willing to bet that they'd be up in arms over that view also.

Please @ me if anyone feels like im being unreasonable.

End Rant.
Gabba is terrible
The Lions and AFL should have just bitten the bullet ages ago and built a standalone facility somewhere like Metricon
Hard to get to, worse to get out of, shocking "stadium"(if you can call it that)
And the Gabba Trust treats AFL like the lodgers with lice they abide because they pay the rent

Gabba is terrible
The Lions and AFL should have just bitten the bullet ages ago and built a standalone facility somewhere like Metricon
Hard to get to, worse to get out of, shocking "stadium"(if you can call it that)
And the Gabba Trust treats AFL like the lodgers with lice they abide because they pay the rent
apparently, according to Eddie the AFL might get access to the Brisbane Olympics Stadium if we are successful (all part of the GF package)

apparently, according to Eddie the AFL might get access to the Brisbane Olympics Stadium if we are successful (all part of the GF package)
Lets hope that works out better than Homebush eh
I guess if the pre-planning was for an oval stadium post Games it might work but AFL at Homebush was a disaster let alone NRL

IN: Harbrow, Lemmens, Holman
Out: Ainsworth (illness) Budarick (injured) Flanders
Those 3 "ins" don't really speak of progress this year but understandable given the need to run out the year without getting thrashed by Collingwood and bushwhacked by Hawthorn in Adelaide
In Dew's presser he was obviously a bit shaken by how uncompetitive we were"fumbling" under pressure against Brisbane
No doubt Lemmens and Holman stiffen things up a bit
I reckon these selections are damage control leading into the off-season

As a bonus if we win this game collingwood will need to beat Port next week to make finals.

just makes me happy to think that Eddie came all the way up here and spent 2 weeks in quarantine to not make finals....

hope we smoke em tomorrow night 💪💪

Those 3 "ins" don't really speak of progress this year but understandable given the need to run out the year without getting thrashed by Collingwood and bushwhacked by Hawthorn in Adelaide
In Dew's presser he was obviously a bit shaken by how uncompetitive we were"fumbling" under pressure against Brisbane
No doubt Lemmens and Holman stiffen things up a bit
I reckon these selections are damage control leading into the off-season
Collingwoood line-up is the oldest one of this round, 26 years 7 months. With these 3 ins (2 due to injury/illness) Suns became 1 year older, 24 years 5 months.

I am curious, what would be your replacements to indicate progress? They seem logical to me considering the selections this year. Harbrow still belongs according to selection committee (I agree) and Lemmens and Holman bring pressure, mature bodies and played this year.

In defense, possibly Joyce could play but does not have a speed, McLennan had some injury recently so probably not ready to debut.

Regarding forward line, Flanders got a taste, Rosas not ready and Farrar probably the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back