First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As per the thread title.

The only real contenders are:
Carlton - 16 premierships
Essendon - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 premierships
Hawthorn - 13 premierships
Melbourne - 12 premierships
Richmond - 12 premierships

Can Essendon or Carlton win a premiership before Collingwood win 2, Hawthorn win 4 or either Melbourne or Richmond win 5?

Port Adelaide

The point that I'm making is that history is quickly forgotten. I've talked about it in other threads. Basically the moment the following season commences, the previous one depreciates. The only people that give a sh*t about a grand final 50 years ago are the people still alive to have been a part of it. For everyone else it's worthless. We don't look back on the 2004 GF and say yep: that was enough.

But as previously mentioned it's more about relevance
If a team won 100 premierships in a row ending in 2009 it is still very relevant and would be constantly talked about.

No one disputes that the more recent a premiership the more it is in conversation, but your system is particularly poor.

Look at the Brisbane 3 peat from 01-03 which is still talked about now.

It’s not historical achievements that are being measured but relevance. A flag in 2020 is way more relevant than a flag in 2000. He has mentioned no cumulative effect for historical premierships, but I think there should be for consecutive flags.

Depreciation % might need adjusting but I think it is a fair concept.

Just as a thought exercise think how this “ladder” might look if the next five flags went to Brisbane, Geelong, Melbourne, Melbourne and the Saints.
Why is a flag in 2020 more relevant than a flag in 2015?

More recent, yes.

Try telling St. Kilda supporters that their 1966 flag is less relevant than Richmond's 2020 flag, by a magnitude of approximately 10,000 times.

When you come out of your coma, then try to tell them it is even half as relevant.

The 'theory' is just plain stupid.

Why did Port bother celebrating their 150th year? Why commemorate wars?

Relevance is subjective, and you could argue that modern success renews success that came before it. Richmond’s honour roll looks great now in print and the long gap between 1980 and the current day has been bridged. It’s the intervening years that are now irrelevant.

The fourth chapter of a book is just as important as the last as context is lost without it.

‘people like doing things they think people have done for years, decades, generations, centuries, Millenia.

Why els would they do apparently absurd things

but bear in mind some tightly held customs are not nearly as old as imagined. Ol Lizzy in buck house is a shocker for that

Why is a flag in 2020 more relevant than a flag in 2015?

More recent, yes.

Try telling St. Kilda supporters that their 1966 flag is less relevant than Richmond's 2020 flag, by a magnitude of approximately 10,000 times.

When you come out of your coma, then try to tell them it is even half as relevant.

The 'theory' is just plain stupid.
Because a flag in 2020 makes you the reigning premier. FMD!

Because a flag in 2020 makes you the reigning premier. FMD!
Well done.

A premiership is a premiership.

Ask St. Kilda supporters what they perceive to be the most relevant premiership. Suggest most will say 1966.

To me, as a Collingwood supporter, I can't split 1990 and 2010. Those two are closely followed by 13 others that occurred prior to my birth year.

As far as I am concerned premierships only start being counted in 1990. Should not count premierships in an amateur and semi-professional local league.
I wonder what those 120,000 people who attended the 1970 Grand Final think of that? (Melbourne population 2/5 million) Perhaps they discuss it with the 100,000 plus who attended the Grand Final in the 50's, '60's, 70's and '80s 27 times in an amateur and semi-professional local league? You have to ask yourself why do we all bother?

Well done.

A premiership is a premiership.

Ask St. Kilda supporters what they perceive to be the most relevant premiership. Suggest most will say 1966.

To me, as a Collingwood supporter, I can't split 1990 and 2010. Those two are closely followed by 13 others that occurred prior to my birth year.
Why bother trying to win if you can just coast on 2010, or 1966, or whatever? But hey, if you think you can look back fondly on the Collingwood successes of 100 years ago who am I to argue? That said, I reckon your opinion has more to do with Collingwood's appalling record over the past six decades than anything else.

Quick stat for you - the Tigers have won as much in the past four seasons as the Pies have in the past 67 seasons.

Fair enough.
Seems odd to me. Obviously people will know who's on top so most likely to get those two right.
But Richmond having been on 10 since 1980, I don't see why most would have them in single digits.

I always feel like Richmond have won more. Thank god they've still got some catching up to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why bother trying to win if you can just coast on 2010, or 1966, or whatever? But hey, if you think you can look back fondly on the Collingwood successes of 100 years ago who am I to argue? That said, I reckon your opinion has more to do with Collingwood's appalling record over the past six decades than anything else.

Quick stat for you - the Tigers have won as much in the past four seasons as the Pies have in the past 67 seasons.
What a DH

As far as I am concerned premierships only start being counted in 1990. Should not count premierships in an amateur and semi-professional local league.
and what about 1990 marks a change from an amateur or semi-professional local league? Did players/coaches etc not get paid prior to this? is that when non-victorian teams were introduced to move away from a local league?

Richmond should win the next two easily, getting 5 more in the next 10 years could be a doddle...
2 more with the same group is a bit much, let alone the next 2 which would make us the greatest team in history.

if we get one more from this group ill be happy, and that puts us on 14. then its just if we can get another dynasty before either essendon or carlton win 1, or collingwood 2. seems unlikely.

How?

Given they've been somewhere between pathetic and mediocre for 90% of their existence?

They've won 8 in my life time.

When I was a kid, I remember tallying up flags and I always got Richmond's 10 mixed up with Melbourne's 12 to the point I subconsciously placed them both on 12.

It's just my subconscious being reminded every time they win a flag, that they didn't have as much as I thought they did.

Port Adelaide 1870-1999
36/119
30% of all SANFL Premierships

Port Adelaide 1997-2020
1/24
4% of all AFL Premierships

Welcome to the big league boys. You'll get to 37 AFL Premierships by the year 2884 at your rate of 1 AFL premiership every 24 years

yeh but, if we'd kick 20 more goals in the 2007GF, the math would be completely different

It's a comment about you, and nothing to do with the football club you support.
Mmmm... more salt. Love it. Keep it coming. Can't get enough. Do you do other salt lines - bottled salty tears, salted caramel Fadge, salt and vinegar chips,... if not you should.

I appreciate the effort, and yes, it is all arbitrary. I think I prefer you're first table though... I see a flag won 10 years ago being worth closer to 16% of a current flag than 70%.
I think a lot of people have gotten upset about this. The thing is a grand final in 1953 is really only majorly significant to a small percentage of the population.

I firmly believe that the most recent premiership will always hold more power.

Back