Club Focus Essendon 2020 - Caldwell, Hund, Wright, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Eyre, Brand

AFL Club Focus

What is the biggest priority at Essendon?

• Key forwards

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Key defenders

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Big mids

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Ruck division

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Would love to see it, could be an outside chance

genuinely feels very even from 6-30 in this draft so that range could be interesting with clubs rating that range differently
Borlase isn't a need for the club right now. Adelaide would just pass on him if he attracted a bid that early. And tbh, I don't why anyone would bid on him that early, he generally seems to be ranked as a late second rounder at best.

Would love to see it, could be an outside chance

genuinely feels very even from 6-30 in this draft so that range could be interesting with clubs rating that range differently
No it couldn't

Essendon have a really good draft hand considering they didn't really lose much in terms of players. Danniher barely played and saad obviously a loss but not overly game changing. Good position to take a fallen top 5 player or fill 2-3 needs with kids who weren't overhyped in the draft.

Essendon have a really good draft hand considering they didn't really lose much in terms of players. Danniher barely played and saad obviously a loss but not overly game changing. Good position to take a fallen top 5 player or fill 2-3 needs with kids who weren't overhyped in the draft.
They do but they should be going into 2021 with Dunkley in their midfield. He’s exactly what they needed and more than what you can realistically hope to draft.

They do but they should be going into 2021 with Dunkley in their midfield. He’s exactly what they needed and more than what you can realistically hope to draft.

Exactly what we needed to what? Finish 7th-10th for the next three years losing access to the best kids in the draft next year while still having a stack of holes in the list.

I expect Essendon to trade down one or more of their early picks to gws for multiple first rounders to kickstart the rebuild. Trading up makes no sense when you consider the state of their list. They should take five or six picks this year.

Exactly what we needed to what? Finish 7th-10th for the next three years losing access to the best kids in the draft next year while still having a stack of holes in the list.
Your club went after him so they obviously thought he was needed. He nominated you so it’s a deal you could have got done. There’s no reason for him to not be on your list right now.

Your club went after him so they obviously thought he was needed. He nominated you so it’s a deal you could have got done. There’s no reason for him to not be on your list right now.
Yes there is. The Bulldogs, rightfully, asked for overs and we, correctly, didn't pay.

Yes there is. The Bulldogs, rightfully, asked for overs and we, correctly, didn't pay.
This guys is clearly trying to troll. It’s all good, we’ll be back at the same place next year and Dunkley could even be cheaper. The tales of holding someone to their contract against their will and that player staying long term are few and far between. Will be a very interesting year for the dogs next year IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have 3 firsts in the top 10 this year and another next year. You had the currency to do a deal you just never went any further than pick 8 until the last day.
If you draft a couple of very good players with 2 of those 3 picks this year you’ll be proven right, if one of them turns out to be average I reckon turning 2 of those 3 picks into a known quantity like Dunkley was the correct play.

This guys is clearly trying to troll. It’s all good, we’ll be back at the same place next year and Dunkley could even be cheaper. The tales of holding someone to their contract against their will and that player staying long term are few and far between. Will be a very interesting year for the dogs next year IMO.
Trolling because I hold a view that you should have traded for the known quantity who nominated you? Instead of holding 3 picks in the top 10, none of them getting you access to the widely accepted top 6 players in a draft that opens up at that point.
Right oh. There’s some very precious people on these boards currently.

Trolling because I hold a view that you should have traded for the known quantity who nominated you? Instead of holding 3 picks in the top 10, none of them getting you access to the widely accepted top 6 players in a draft that opens up at that point.
Right oh. There’s some very precious people on these boards currently.
Not precious at all, I think it’s widely accepted by everyone other than the back slapping dogs supporters that two early first round picks for Dunkley wasn’t an acceptable trade for Essendon. Pretty simple really

Not precious at all, I think it’s widely accepted by everyone other than the back slapping dogs supporters that two early first round picks for Dunkley wasn’t an acceptable trade for Essendon. Pretty simple really
Looked about right, with a second coming back. Dogs obv wanted at least one to be 2021.

Contracted, 23 AA.

You have 3 firsts in the top 10 this year and another next year. You had the currency to do a deal you just never went any further than pick 8 until the last day.
If you draft a couple of very good players with 2 of those 3 picks this year you’ll be proven right, if one of them turns out to be average I reckon turning 2 of those 3 picks into a known quantity like Dunkley was the correct play.
We didn't pay overs. It was the correct decision.

The Bulldogs didn't accept our offer. It was the correct decision.

No matter how many times you try and claim otherwise both clubs made the right decision.

Looked about right, with a second coming back. Dogs obv wanted at least one to be 2021.

Contracted, 23 AA.
AA squad*

I personally felt two firsts as long as they were later teens picks would have been well overs but I would have pulled the trigger. Two top 10 picks even with a second coming back for Dunkley is just plain ridiculous. Cudos to the Dogs though, held their nerve and kept him which was absolutely their right. Will be interesting to see how it plays out next year though as it’s pretty clear from media reports of his recent interview and interview with his manager he was devastated not to be traded. 12 months is a long time in football.

Contracted, 23 AA.
Every single person on trade radio through out the period said Dunkley isn't worth two first rounders. Our first rounder next year will be top 5, probably top 3.

3 + 8 for a bloke not in the top 25 mids in the game? Pass.

You must be rapt in how smart your recruiters are. Target one of the hardest players in the comp to extract and fail at it, while all the other options which were much easier to obtain passed by.

Typical Essendon trade thinking, protected the picks, failed to improve the team.

You must be rapt in how smart your recruiters are. Target one of the hardest players in the comp to extract and fail at it, while all the other options which were much easier to obtain passed by.

Typical Essendon trade thinking, protected the picks, failed to improve the team.
Which options?

AA squad*

I personally felt two firsts as long as they were later teens picks would have been well overs but I would have pulled the trigger. Two top 10 picks even with a second coming back for Dunkley is just plain ridiculous. Cudos to the Dogs though, held their nerve and kept him which was absolutely their right. Will be interesting to see how it plays out next year though as it’s pretty clear from media reports of his recent interview and interview with his manager he was devastated not to be traded. 12 months is a long time in football.

I am sure he is devastated to be playing with a top 8 side next year that has seen him play in 6 finals so far at age 23 instead of enjoying the glory that is Tullamarine.

Back