Analysis Good, Bad, Ugly, and Surprising vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great win, I am rapt, totally unexpected.

Not having seen game (am in bush NSW), anyone worried that they outscored us 56-30 in second half, or was that the result of one-man-down and tiring from reduced rotations?
Anyone know where I'd be able to watch a replay tomorrow, please?

Coaches deserve a lot of credit for that win. From the way we started, to the way we held on.
From the back end til now there is a game style for the opponent, so yes, the coaching is making it easier for the 18 on the field.

Good

The kids enthusiasm for the game
The pure attack and aggression on the ball
The proving of doubters wrong
The speed and ability of multiple players to run opponents down
Sticking tackles
Taking the game on.

Watching Dangerfield realise he will not win a premiership at Geelong as he realised they recruited a dads army.

Bad

The injuries, at least they weren't soft tissue injuries

Ugly

Dangers hit on Kelly. Was reckless and he should get a week

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still can’t believe it.

The last part of last season was not a mirage. Young kids look good, game play looks good.

like the look of this new recruit Taylor Walker.

Textbook character building win. Especially considering we had some first choice players out and we just brought in the form guys and they did the job. Awesome to push thru with the injuries.
Made me eat a bit of humble pie re my criticality of us.
Awesome confidence builder for the rest of the year.
McHenry started to look good in the trial games, continued on.
Rowey looks like being a good replacement for Stengle. Bit sad to lose stengle, he looked like he would be a good player. O well, had chances.
Obrien was great. Really was dominant. Having a ruckmen you can basically book it down that he's going to do a good job each contest is such a help.
Seemed to be connection between ROB and the mids. Seemed to be connection between the mids and the forwards.
Great game from leaders, especially tex.
Butts was awesome.
Frampton ended up doing more that what I wouldve wanted from him in his role.
Chase down tackles.
Pressure - was off the charts early, exactly the same or better even than late last year.
Some shepherds and blocks were excellent.
Keays was great.
Lots of our less than 50 games players looked like 100+ players today.
EDIT: One more I forgot -we had a tactic and it was working, they adjusted and got on top, we adjusted and got back on top of them

Bad
Injuries.

Last edited:
Let’s add it all up here because honestly, despite the hysteria here, I really think it’s still being underplayed a bit.

1) We lose our first 13 games in 2020, finish bottom and Brad Crouch, arguably our best player, walks out. We receive a pick in the 20s as compensation

2) Matt Crouch, arguably our best player, is unavailable for the game

3) Daniel Talia, one of the best key defenders in the comp, is unavailable for the match

4) Wayne Milera, arguably our most skilful player, does his knee in the preseason and is out for the whole year

5) We get absolutely pumped twice by Port in the preseason, and look like absolute s**t in the process

6) Recent first round picks McAsey and Jones struggle mightily in preseason play and aren’t picked for Rd 1

7) Key offseason acquisition Jackson Hately also struggles in preseason play and isn’t selected for Rd 1

8) We go in with only 1 key defender - he’s a 2 game player and he has to play on Tom Hawkins

9) Our next tallest defenders are the sub 190cm pair of Doedee and Kelly - they have to cover Josh Jenkins who has 10cm on them. Doedee has barely played any footy in the last 2 years. Kelly only just gets passed fit for the game after preseason injury struggles

10) We roll out 2 debutants - one is a pudgy small forward who was unwanted for years until a breakout 2020 in the SANFL. One is a mid who wasn’t even one of our first 3 draft picks in 2020.

11) We’re facing the premiership favourites and they’re about $1.15 to beat us. Most people consider that overs

12) We lose Luke Brown to injury in the first quarter and have to activate our injury sub - this is Mitch Hinge who was unwanted by the Lions and has little to no experience

13) We lose Jake Kelly in the 2nd quarter when he’s knocked out by a brutal head clash - thats 2 defenders gone to injury with 2.5 quarters left to play

14) Will Hamill rolls an ankle in the 2nd quarter and doesn’t return to the field for the last 20 mins of the quarter. That’s another half back who is potentially gone

15) Shane McAdam does damage to his foot / ankle before half time - he returns before the main break but is noticeably favouring it and has clearly just been asked to park himself in the pocket

16) Mitch Hinge, the injury sub, pops his shoulder out early in the 3rd. That’s 4 defenders and 1 forward who have injured themselves and there’s almost a half left to play

17) Hinge, McAdam and Hamill are back on the field, but none are effective at all

18) Hinge pops his shoulder again and is now done for the night

19) Did I mention we’re playing the premiership favourites?

20) Dangerfield has at least 800m gained - I lost count

21) Guthrie, coming off an AA season, is carving us up

22) Isaac Smith is running amok - we can’t keep up because everyone is either injured or exhausted

Final siren: we hold on to win.

Absolutely unbelievable and ridiculous. This is right up there with the greatest home and away wins in the history of the club. Soak it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back