Autopsy Autopsy vs Western Bulldogs - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So........

I only watched the first half due to an event I needed to attend so I was pretty shocked at the end result after a reasonable 1st half - I didnt see the implosion coming!

Having said that, I didnt know Polec and Jed were now off.

A decimated midfield with fewer rotations to support a totally decimated backline with Tarrant, LMac, Corr, Bonar and Kyron missing from our starting backline.

The remaining 20 out there for the second half against a very good Dogs team were lambs to the slaughter, they never had a chance!!

Thank God we are getting games into Philips, Powell and Charlie who are all showing signs and great to see Cunners back at 18 contested possessions but without some players back we are kidding ourselves!!

Pointless looking at individual performance under these war time circumstances!!!!!
Hold strong boys!

You're being a hypocrite Saintly.

No I'm just saying apparently no-one can have any doubts on Mahony without getting slammed for it.

I do have my doubts on him. Doesn't mean I don't like him but he has a way to go.

The North prior team at best an entirely different discussion.

Who's pumping him up unnecessarily? Just about everyone has commented on his (obvious) weaknesses. He has a high footy IQ and his work ethic is top notch, and that will be the ultimate factor in whether he makes it as a player or not.

Been heaps of ultra defensive posts to defend him being horrible this year.

Yes he is young, Powell is too. I doubt Mahony, I don't doubt Powell.

Think that’s an unfair comparison Chopity Chop Chop. Powell is the most ready made kid I can recall us drafting.

Yeah and he shows it. Powell is a gem.

Mahony has shown very little in comparison.

That's why I don't get why people get defensive of honest comment on how our youngsters are going.

That's why I don't get why people get defensive of honest comment on how our youngsters are going.
I'm open to honest comment, and respect yours, but I think the evidence is Jack's side - he's improving; getting more of it, and doing more with it; DE remains an issue, but he's tracking upwards, not sideways or down hill

YearTeamGMKHDMGBTHOFFFAGAI50CLCGR50BL
2021​
3​
6.7​
5.3​
12.0​
2.3​
0.3​
0.3​
2.3​
0​
1.0​
1.0​
0.3​
1.0​
1.0​
3.3​
0.3​
2020​
10​
2.8​
5.6​
8.4​
1.2​
0.3​
0.2​
2.6​
0​
0.9​
0.5​
0.2​
0.7​
0.1​
0.9​
0.2​
0.30​
Career

I'm open to honest comment, and respect yours, but I think the evidence is Jack's side - he's improving; getting more of it, and doing more with it; DE remains an issue, but he's tracking upwards, not sideways or down hill

2021​
3​
6.7​
5.3​
12.0​
2.3​
0.3​
0.3​
2.3​
0​
1.0​
1.0​
0.3​
1.0​
1.0​
3.3​
0.3​
2020​
10​
2.8​
5.6​
8.4​
1.2​
0.3​
0.2​
2.6​
0​
0.9​
0.5​
0.2​
0.7​
0.1​
0.9​
0.2​
0.30​
Career

Funnily enough his skills are actually very good and was a reason he was rated so highly as a junior. I expect that to improve with experience.

Funnily enough his skills are actually very good and was a reason he was rated so highly as a junior. I expect that to improve with experience.

To parlay the past two posts;

The stats are heading inn the right direction and he has good skills.

He has been given big challenges in the first 3 weeks and I think he has been very busy, hard working and high effort - his skills output will turn around soon enough.

He needs support and time to allow him to get through a very steep learning curve.

They were really good at times last year, I remember a few highlights. The three consecutive handballs in traffic were a particularly good exhibition.

Describing them as average this year would be a compliment. Long term though, I'm not too worried. He's already shown he's capable of smart and skillful play, with the amount of effort he puts in I'm confident he can turn it around sooner or later. All players have down patches, and with he way the team is going it makers sense to be having one now.

Doing enough to hold his spot in the team? IDK. I think he's in the basket of a half dozen or more players we could make easy arguments for dropping atm, it mostly comes down to who we would be replacing them with, and to a slightly lesser extent how much we are valuing experienced players vs youth.

The crap Mahony's been copping around here this year is a disgrace. He's become a whipping boy after playing 10 games for a club that's been absolutely horrendous over his period at the club - 7 of which were as basically the youngest player in the comp.

He's going to be a very important player in a few years when we're hopefully contending for a finals spot. He's got excellent skills, decision making and work rate. He'll build his body and gain confidence and composure the more he plays and the better those around him get.

There's no way he deserves the hyperbolic criticism he's getting around here that suggest he doesn't deserve to be on a list.

I can't wait to see guys like him and Phillips prove the naysayers wrong - it's a matter of when, not if.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2021​
3​
6.7​
5.3​
12.0​
2.3​
0.3​
0.3​
2.3​
0​
1.0​
1.0​
0.3​
1.0​
1.0​
3.3​
0.3​
2020​
10​
2.8​
5.6​
8.4​
1.2​
0.3​
0.2​
2.6​
0​
0.9​
0.5​
0.2​
0.7​
0.1​
0.9​
0.2​
0.30​
Career

They are shocking numbers whether better than last year or not.

What standards do we have?

Same with Will Phillips.

Mahony's first three possessions in AFL footy were consecutive handpasses after our players coughed the ball up to generate a goal last year when we were getting flogged. I think he makes good decisions, works hard and has excellent vision and situational awareness (not to Powell's level tho), but I'd like to him kick the ball flatter and harder. His running has definitely improved as he was very one paced even in his last year at school. There was a comment that he had great long term endurance. Something along the lines of couldn't get much under 6.50 - 7 mins for a 2km time trial but he could do two in a row and not slow down. But that he was slow.

He has definitely improved his onfield speed. Leaving aside Comben he's probably the most bland of himself, Perez and Lazzaro tho. But he could still play the sort of role Dumont does and do it as well.

The one game that still sticks in my mind from that period was the 2011 game against the Pies. That day, Boomer was interviewed post match and publically roasted Lachie Hansen and Sam Wright.
I remember that. Didn’t he have a go at a number of the young blokes (more than just Lachie and Sam) for not putting in the work and developing enough on the field etc compared to young players from the ‘90s teams? I know he copped flak for it but he had a point.

Mahony unfortunately is very plodder like and I don’t think that will change

he’s a very limited player and he’s only 13 games in and can obviously improve but his limitations will stay (lack of height and pace) to some extent and I’d back our other youngsters over him

You do your posting a real disservice with dribble like this TZ.

How could you could possibly come to that conclusion at 19 Y.O and 13 games?

You do your posting a real disservice with dribble like this TZ.

How could you could possibly come to that conclusion at 19 Y.O and 13 games?

No I disagree.

I think Mahony has been shithouse. Tz is right as he hasn't shown much at all to be excited about. Powell has already, as has Lazarro

Doesn't mean he won't become a player in time as young etc, but he should not be playing AFL footy at the moment.

I wonder if this Board was around in 1988-1990 how we would have been on how short and slow Anthony Rock was?

Anyone under 50 games deserves the benefit of doubt.

...it’s the bracket above where all the questions should be directed
Common sense spoken at last.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back