Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding the backline, I think everyone is right.

We DID hold up pretty well, 85% of the time. But the 15% is really, really bad. And that's why it's going to be hard to win games consistently with our current backline, because there are too many blokes there who, over each 100 entries, just s**t the bed enough times to cost us 5 goals. That's enough to beat you in most games.

The good news is, and they said it in First Crack, is that that shouldn't be happening in twelve months. We're just going to have to lump it for a little while longer. But anyone not taking solace from the fact that we're staying in games around these clangers, is missing a big part of this rebuild actually going well.
Bar the 15%, the back 6 held up quite well without ball in hand.

My issue is more when the back 6 has ball in hand.

There is nothing I hate more about watching us then the switch for the sake of switching. We win the ball back in our back half, before kicking it all the way back to the goal square, then back to the pocket, then inevitably go down the line where it gets picked off by the opposition.

I think last year this one ends up as a 50+ point loss. This year it took a bloody good individual quarter of footy from Bontempelli and an outstanding individual performance from Weightman to beat us and we still looked a semi chance when Curtis missed the right foot snap at the end. We did it all very efficiently and on half the inside 50s the Dogs had while apparently not being to tackle whatsoever. With zero input from Spicer and Corr. And 59% TOG from Wardlaw. And while getting smoked at clearances.

Despite Weightman doing whatever he wanted the backline did a good job to hang in there under weight of numbers. 105 points on 72 inside 50s is a pretty good result. Our transition was really excellent on occasion. Bailey played a big role in that, as did Zurhaar pushing up as a hit up forward. Sheezel played fantastically well and somehow had like our second most clearances. A demon

I think we are all heading in the right direction. Good sides are having to work harder and harder to put us away

Special shout out to the guy sitting behind me who could not have been more of a miserable campaigner if he tried. Every umpiring decision - wrong. Every North player - a coward. Didn't have anything nice to say about his own team. What a ******* clown
I sat next to the most negative North supporter ever. We all have our favourite whipping boys but she was down on the whole team. Can you tell one of your own supporters to shut up?

Got killed on the spread. It was noticeable that all Doggie players spread when it is their turn to go. They work very hard with gut running, and we need to get the necessary players that can do this.

TT played on Weightman for several goals. It wasn't only LMac. I thought the defence stood up to great pressure and some of the failed clearances were due to the midfield (and the defence) not running hard enough to get the handball receives.

Well, the past 6 weeks has shown, we have a much better ability to defend, and we have actually provided a bit of an arm wrestle for 2, 3 or 4 quarters.

Yes, the inside 50 count was completely lopsided against the Dogs but some of our recent games have been pretty even.

I get the feeling, that at some point, our midfield will click and we will start running downhill, instead of labouring up it.
Next game we play we should have LDU back and a two week rest for Warlord and WiPhi. That should help the midfield a bit.

I saw him running with Bailey Smith throughout. It doesn’t make sense why Thomas would be minding Weightman who played deep forward and yet Thomas found himself rebounding off half back.
ferball it may have been Thomas started on Weightman and then there was a switch after the bounce
Or it might just have been TT not showing enough respect to the bulldogs player who looks like a girl. (Too soon? Poor taste? Whatevs)

I'm sure its been noted elsewhere but its worth keeping in mind we conceded 72 Inside 50s yesterday ... the AFL record is 83 ... just taking a look at some recent beltings we've had (clearly not exhaustive sadly):

90 point loss to Melbourne (2023) - 64 conceded
75 loss to Brisbane (2023) - 66 conceded
70 point loss to Port (2023) - 59 conceded
112 point loss to Geelong (2022) - 74 conceded
108 point loss to Brisbane (2022) - 78 conceded

This isn't an apology for LMac or anyone else for that matter, but defending 72 IFs is very tough going for any defender ... the reality is, as has been noted elsewhere, that the real issue was a lack of ball-winning and pressure through the middle of the ground which led to the repeat entries (and often at speed). The fact that we only lost the game by 21 points is in fact incredible .. it could (and should) have been far, far worse ... that does speak (in some aspect) to some sort of maturation of our deep defensive system (albeit it probably doesn't feel like it when a guy like Weightman jags six)...

The backline is horrible. Not so much with restricting score, but more when we get the ball. Watching such poor ball users and decision makers try to transition the ball out is excruciating. No wonder the oppo get so many repeat entries and our I50s are so low. The team isn't going anywhere whilst they rely on butchers like LMc and JZ being the distributors off half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The backline is horrible. Not so much with restricting score, but more when we get the ball. Watching such poor ball users and decision makers try to transition the ball out is excruciating. No wonder the oppo get so many repeat entries and our I50s are so low. The team isn't going anywhere whilst they rely on butchers like LMc and JZ being the distributors off half back.
Bar the 15%, the back 6 held up quite well without ball in hand.

My issue is more when the back 6 has ball in hand.

There is nothing I hate more about watching us then the switch for the sake of switching. We win the ball back in our back half, before kicking it all the way back to the goal square, then back to the pocket, then inevitably go down the line where it gets picked off by the opposition.
Agree with these comments. I guess this is the result of drafting and selecting old school defenders who don’t use the ball very well.

We can't have a backline with Logue, McKay, Ziebs, LMac and Corr.
four of those 5 are cooked and give NOTHING except turnovers, Harry needs help (I know he wont be staying there) but he is making them look very very ordinary considering the games they have over him

I thought Jy didn't do enough today as the captain. Kicked a goal but didn't look like he had much influence.
Hubby thinks we have the worst 2 captains in the league but then we are close to the worst team too so it makes sense. Co-captains hasnt worked for us as both have gone backwards, one more than another. Tough decision needs to be made at the end of the year and make the best player we have captain and let him bring the kids along with him. Worked for Wayne and it should work for Luke if he can keep mobile

I watched some of the replay after being at the game and found (surprise) some useful commentary, especially from Dermot, about turnovers leaving defenders with too much ground/too many forwards to cover. It doesn’t excuse the slow reaction time and inattention highlighted in that segment (add in the English goal too), but I’d guess the too-easy marks are a mix of some poor individual actions and some system issues.

The replay is reinforcing my impression at the ground that this is the best midfield our boys have played in a while - their pressure and energy at ball and man was relentless, and then their own spread by handball, kick and running was far superior to ours. Good lessons.

They've lost 3 in a row. Had a lot of pressure to win.

Just personal preference but have never liked the "lol why were they celebrating after (insert reason why win meant less)" schtick.

We've won about 7 games in 3 years. I celebrated losing by under 4 goals yesterday by shouting dinner and drinks at Attica for 30 random people I met on the train.

Just personal preference but have never liked the "lol why were they celebrating after (insert reason why win meant less)" schtick.

We've won about 7 games in 3 years. I celebrated losing by under 4 goals yesterday by shouting dinner and drinks at Attica for 30 random people I met on the train.
I don’t mind it and I say it, but I’m a bit bored of it now, having said a version of “bit much carrying on, you’re only beating North” almost every week for what must be about six years.

Montagna absolutely spot on here.

Great to see some vision of examples NMFC supporters are seeing at the ground each and every week. We're constantly too far away from our opponents in the backline, and don't have the foot speed to catch them. It's crazy obvious sitting in the stands.

This isn't about zoning off/etc, these are ball that are almost already I50, and our three big backs are 15m away from their opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back