Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Our defence were pummelled by a lot of I50 against, but the inverse is their poor disposal and positioning contributed to this, and lack of defensive attack. We rely on kicking our way out of defence because our defence couldn't outrun a 78 year old on a zimmer frame. Without that threat, opposition teams can be more aggressive in their zone knowing they can close down space faster than we can open it up. That is why I am so keen to have an off season speed focus (obviously with good skills) to challenge the opposition to be more defensive minded when playing against us and retreating ground rather than be aggressive on taking ground.
Exactly.

They held up well from a scores against POV... the issue is that if they were better at starting the rebounding process maybe they wouldn't have to run a defence tighter than a dolphin's rear end.

four of those 5 are cooked and give NOTHING except turnovers, Harry needs help (I know he wont be staying there) but he is making them look very very ordinary considering the games they have over him

LMac has got his limitations. However, I don’t believe he’s cooked. He still has an important role to play and has plenty to give the team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It makes me sick. You can handball over your head but it cant be a throwing motion. Collingwood do it all the ******* time too. Its their fame plan. Get numbers to the outside in a contest and throw the ball over the head. Needs to stop.

The rule is something like this. The ball must be hit with a close fist from a stationary hand. When did the ******* rule change where by you can throw the ******* thing over your head? stationary!!! * you AFL.

Fix it Euge!
The definition is:

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

I’d suggest most handballs are now both hands moving together in a flicking motion. The ones over the head doubly so.

Handballing is a skill of the game sacrificed at the alter of quick ball movement.

The definition is:

Handball: the act of holding the football in one hand and disposing of it by hitting it with the clenched fist of the other hand.

I’d suggest most handballs are now both hands moving together in a flicking motion. The ones over the head doubly so.

Handballing is a skill of the game sacrificed at the alter of quick ball movement.
The hand holding the football must remain stationary. Was there a rule change? giantroo you have a copy of the rule book?

LMac amongst a few seniors that might not have the privilege of going on his own terms if he can't provide the support needed. I think once we move on Hall, JZ and get a couple of sharp users down there Lmac should in theory be able to hold a role as an intercepting type. In theory.
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." Benjamin Brewster

I agree it is a tonne of inside 50's. The flipside is that a big part of the reason we have so many is that we are unable to exit defensive 50 in a way that helps those up field. That's not all on the mids, in fact I think they struggle a fair bit because the backline are so predictable in movement.
This definitely contributes to the problem.

Our low number of inside 50s was also because we couldn't lock it in our forward half. There were no repeat entries because we either scored or it was whisked down the other end.
That's why the inside 50 tackle count isn't as bad as it looks (6 tackles). It was rare we got the ball into our 50 ina way that resulted in stoppages and contests on the ground.

I don’t mind it and I say it, but I’m a bit bored of it now, having said a version of “bit much carrying on, you’re only beating North” almost every week for what must be about six years.
We might have to start singing this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attachments

• laws-of-the-game-booklet-2023.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 68
2023 Laws of the game document
Nothing about holding the hand stationary in there. Which id fair enough. You can move your hand and then hit the ball out of it. It should be determined by the impacxt of the fist directing the ball.

Its probably not popular to acknowledge but alot of what i consider throws in real time during the game turn out to be legit when watched carefully on replay.

The return on Thomas' rebounding from halfback was a little disappointing, especially in the context of losing his x-factor in the forward half, but I thought his defensive work was great.

He can impact contests in a way that players like Sheezel and Hall can't. Aerially I thought we were a lot stouter defensively with Thomas filling holes and competing in the air, as opposed to Aaron Hall staying down and fishing for handball receives. Sitting on the third level, I thought Thomas was always putting himself in the way of the ball and I think that contributed to what was statistically a great performance from our backline considering the number of entries that were coming in.

I don't think Sheezel and Thomas should both be playing back there, as it takes away too much of our forward half firepower, but with the bye being a chance to retune a few things, I'd be leaning toward Bergman taking Sheezel's spot and having Thomas be the one who stays down back.

The return on Thomas' rebounding from halfback was a little disappointing, especially in the context of losing his x-factor in the forward half, but I thought his defensive work was great.

He can impact contests in a way that players like Sheezel and Hall can't. Aerially I thought we were a lot stouter defensively with Thomas filling holes and competing in the air, as opposed to Aaron Hall staying down and fishing for handball receives. Sitting on the third level, I thought Thomas was always putting himself in the way of the ball and I think that contributed to what was statistically a great performance from our backline considering the number of entries that were coming in.

I don't think Sheezel and Thomas should both be playing back there, as it takes away too much of our forward half firepower, but with the bye being a chance to retune a few things, I'd be leaning toward Bergman taking Sheezel's spot and having Thomas be the one who stays down back.
I agree that Thomas & Sheezel are better up forward. But they're the only ones currently available able to provide that rebound from half back at the moment. Which is why need guys like Goater, Bergman & (hopefully) Perez to come on and take on these roles, and we can then push them forward.

Another reason why I hope the rumours about TT leaving are untrue. We need more players like him, not less.

I'm sorry but if we continue to play a bloke with his goal sense and innate instinct for forward half play, in the backline, on the basis that he's 'good in defensive contests,' it could be the biggest waste of a bloke's skillset in the history of the club

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is." Benjamin Brewster
That's a new one to me, fabulous.

If someone had done a Glenn archer on w8man in the 2nd quarter we would have won 😀
And been put out for several weeks. Weightman is a bit of a smartarse, but it's a bit much to expect a young guy who kicks 6 not to get excited about it. It helps playing on our backline, obviously, but look at the England bowlers. They're almost fellating themselves over getting out of form and middle order batsmen out. And they're well into their late 30's.

That was shown earlier. There is another with the correct definition of a handball where it states the ball needs to be stationary. The rule has obviously changed somewhere and im not happy about it
Around 1980/81, my phys ed teacher at school was a former St Kilda premiership player. He was at great pains to point out to us young fellas that the rules absolutely did not require the hand holding the ball to be stationary and that your handballing would be greatly improved by helping the ball along with that hand.

So I’d say the rule has been that way for at least 40 years and probably before 1966.

Late to the party.

Just want to say I don't think I've ever seen us play this well and not look remotely like winning. It's almost impressive.

The other observation I have is that I would make a terrible coach. If I was to watch our intensity & DE and nothing else I would feel really happy with how we are tracking. Then I would look at our W/L and the fact that maybe we'll beat WC to make it three for the year and think bloody hell. This is a tough caper. Around the ten minute mark of the review I would head to the bar. Over to you Ratts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back