Autopsy Autopsy vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially it sounds like many of us have made the emotional journey from despair to disappointment.
I think in the 2nd qtr when we had two maybe three outnumbers streaming toward goals and managed to not score I experienced despair.

Late in 3rd after a couple of goals when Ben McKay managed to not kick to TT 52 out and a real chance and instead hit Caleb Daniels I think, that was disappointment.

Tragically, we are miles better than last couple of years, we need to progress as much going forward or progress to whatever comes up after disappointment. Resignation?

Two more home games in Melbourne only and its mid June, trying to get my kids motivated tougher and tougher.

Anyway thanks for indulging my portion of the group therapy.

Xerri will have more physical presence but not the same level of athleticism. Can be just as effective
This is exactly what Clarko wants and the reason he was selected in Round 1. Once X has some match fitness I'd be very surprised if he isn't back in the best 22.

Bit of a worry if Sheezel can use the ball better out of the backline than LMac
Depends on your POV. I think it's a positive that Sheezel can use the ball better and we have now seen what that does for us. LMac amongst a few seniors that might not have the privilege of going on his own terms if he can't provide the support needed. I think once we move on Hall, JZ and get a couple of sharp users down there Lmac should in theory be able to hold a role as an intercepting type. In theory.

I'm sure its been noted elsewhere but its worth keeping in mind we conceded 72 Inside 50s yesterday ... the AFL record is 83 ... just taking a look at some recent beltings we've had (clearly not exhaustive sadly):

90 point loss to Melbourne (2023) - 64 conceded
75 loss to Brisbane (2023) - 66 conceded
70 point loss to Port (2023) - 59 conceded
112 point loss to Geelong (2022) - 74 conceded
108 point loss to Brisbane (2022) - 78 conceded

This isn't an apology for LMac or anyone else for that matter, but defending 72 IFs is very tough going for any defender ... the reality is, as has been noted elsewhere, that the real issue was a lack of ball-winning and pressure through the middle of the ground which led to the repeat entries (and often at speed). The fact that we only lost the game by 21 points is in fact incredible .. it could (and should) have been far, far worse ... that does speak (in some aspect) to some sort of maturation of our deep defensive system (albeit it probably doesn't feel like it when a guy like Weightman jags six)...

I agree it is a tonne of inside 50's. The flipside is that a big part of the reason we have so many is that we are unable to exit defensive 50 in a way that helps those up field. That's not all on the mids, in fact I think they struggle a fair bit because the backline are so predictable in movement.

Fitness in that young core.

Not necessarily bad signs.

BTW I thought Curtis was much better for much of yesterday, first time in a while I've seen him applying good running and pressure on carriers, looked to run out of puff though due to this. One of a few that need a big pre season.

This is exactly what Clarko wants and the reason he was selected in Round 1. Once X has some match fitness I'd be very surprised if he isn't back in the best 22.

He didn't look too out of sorts given the lay off. Might be interesting to see how he goes sooner rather than later.

BTW on the game as a whole, I honestly thought we had the better of them in the first half outside of 5-6 really wasteful efforts transitioning the ball where we had them exposed. Some very poor efforts by hand, without those I see us as 2-3 goals up, rather than 1 goal down and a much better chance at a win after they hit the wall fitness wise. Wasn't the worst game all things considered.

I think the score flattered us a little, they did miss goals I think they usually would have kicked but I dont think they were as switched on as they should have been in the first quarter for sure and we jumped them. We let ourselves down with poor disposal that cost us goals too. Once we fix that we will be much much better.

I think the score flattered us a little, they did miss goals I think they usually would have kicked but I dont think they were as switched on as they should have been in the first quarter for sure and we jumped them. We let ourselves down with poor disposal that cost us goals too. Once we fix that we will be much much better.
Expected score didn't differ much.

1687143186086.png

Throw. ******* over these tosses over the head not being called as throws. Its a ******* throw every ******* day of the week. The fact the umps dont call this blatant illegal disposals is concerning

Agree completely.

It’s an absolute farce these things aren’t called throws.

Expected score didn't differ much.

View attachment 1716497
Yeah they missed a couple but also kicked some difficult ones. There were a few where naughton or weightman led into a pocket and I thought fine, you don’t mind forcing them to take that shot. And we left some scoring chances on the table too, like CZ running too far, a couple of missed centering balls.

North Melbourne (84) - (105) Western Bulldogs​

Lyon: “I learned more about North Melbourne and where they've developed as a team because they were legitimately in this contest all day.

“Yeah, Cody Weightman kicked six goals, which is a fantastic performance, but they were competitive through the middle of the ground.

“I think they're developing North Melbourne.

“If you're a fan of North Melbourne, then I think you're pretty pleased with where they're starting to head and this is nothing bad about the Bulldogs.

“They've still got the same issues, but I didn't sort of learn that much about them.”

Depends on your POV. I think it's a positive that Sheezel can use the ball better and we have now seen what that does for us. LMac amongst a few seniors that might not have the privilege of going on his own terms if he can't provide the support needed. I think once we move on Hall, JZ and get a couple of sharp users down there Lmac should in theory be able to hold a role as an intercepting type. In theory.

I agree it is a tonne of inside 50's. The flipside is that a big part of the reason we have so many is that we are unable to exit defensive 50 in a way that helps those up field. That's not all on the mids, in fact I think they struggle a fair bit because the backline are so predictable in movement.
It's a massive, massive inside 50 deficit - 72-36. That normally results in at least a 12 goal loss.

A big part of it was getting cleaned up around stoppages and contested ball in general. Not just in raw numbers - the quality of the Bulldogs' clearances and contested possessions was way too clean. They kept breaking tackles and releasing a free player and/or they just kept waltzing out of the front of stoppages. It's been very easy like this for the opposition two weeks in a row. And opposition ruckmen have seemingly walked around our ruckmen for easy, clean clearances.

Then with about 10 minutes to go in each quarter - and after no break in play for a while - too many of our side just stop to a walk. That's where we concede repeat entries because too many of our backs, high half forwards and mids aren't fit enough.

That includes middle aged and senior players. Despite all their preseasons, they are still not fit enough to cope with continuous football (no stoppage for 5 plus minutes) and they don't recover for the rest of the quarter. Senior players take possession and look to be tackled to get a stoppage so they can rest or they just hack it through fatigue. It then deteriorates into long down the line and repeat entries.

Sure we have some kids in the side but Sheezel is actually one of our fittest.

And it's true we have backs who lack skill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. Goldy was winning the hit-outs but our midfield wasn't getting the clearances.

I think Goldy had like, six or 7 intercept marks in the Bulldogs forward line?

Was possibly BOG today.
Yeah sure Goldy had 4 marks in total. 3 in the first quarter. Like I said English pantsed him after quarter time.

English 24 possessions, 10 marks and kicked a goal. Goldy BOG you say,lol

Agree completely.

It’s an absolute farce these things aren’t called throws.
It makes me sick. You can handball over your head but it cant be a throwing motion. Collingwood do it all the ******* time too. Its their fame plan. Get numbers to the outside in a contest and throw the ball over the head. Needs to stop.

The rule is something like this. The ball must be hit with a close fist from a stationary hand. When did the ******* rule change where by you can throw the ******* thing over your head? stationary!!! * you AFL.

Fix it Euge!

Last edited:
There was one bit of play which summed it up for me, why North are not winning games.....

The ball was kicked into our Forward 50.
No mark was taken so it was a ground ball contest. The Bulldogs got the ball in our defensive 50.

Cam Zurhaar and his opponent were in the goals square when this play was occurring.
The Bulldog defender saw that the Bulldogs had won possession in our back line and sprinted up the ground to provide an option for a handball.

Cam Zurhaar was a second late, before deciding to follow his man.

That delay was all it took for the Bulldogs defender to become a free man, receive a handball, set up play up the ground and set up a Bulldogs end to end goal.

Our blokes need to be switched on, for 30 minutes in the quarter. All the time. They are either attacking or defending. There is no I will just take a sec to catch my breath.....

The good sides will kill you if you do that....

I know it’s easy to beat up on the back 7 but they were good as a defensive collective yesterday. 72 entries for only 15 goals is a great effort.

The tackle count was what I was most disappointed with yesterday, we got smashed around the ball.
I’m as optimistic as you can be about anyway, but we did concede 30 shots..

Our defence were pummelled by a lot of I50 against, but the inverse is their poor disposal and positioning contributed to this, and lack of defensive attack. We rely on kicking our way out of defence because our defence couldn't outrun a 78 year old on a zimmer frame. Without that threat, opposition teams can be more aggressive in their zone knowing they can close down space faster than we can open it up. That is why I am so keen to have an off season speed focus (obviously with good skills) to challenge the opposition to be more defensive minded when playing against us and retreating ground rather than be aggressive on taking ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back