Review Good Bad and Ugly vs GWS - Rd 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We are absolute trash and I'm glad I didn't waste my time with it. Start of season spark has long gone now so there's not much worth in watching for the rest of the year as we're firmly back into 2020 mode.

That would make sense if the team hadn’t managed 27 goals over the last couple of weeks before today, with Tex contributing less than a 5th of those. The midfield lost clearances by 22 today, that’s where the game was lost, not poor forward structure. A poor forward structure isn’t capable of a 14 goal half like last week either.

Yes, with an amazing debut from TT, and unheard of accuracy.

Look at forward line structure and tell me if it’s a good and dangerous setup?

Yes, with an amazing debut from TT, and unheard of accuracy.

Look at forward line structure and tell me if it’s a good and dangerous setup?
It's not a bad setup, but the talent is failing.

3 talls, 1 being a ridiculous athletic 2m giant, and 3 smalls SHOULD work. Berg is done IMO.... But the other problem is the form of ROB. He's been awful.

We just don't have the players to make it so.

It's not a bad setup, but the talent is failing.

3 talls, 1 being a ridiculous athletic 2m giant, and 3 smalls SHOULD work. Berg is done IMO.... But the other problem is the form of ROB. He's been awful.

We just don't have the players to make it so.
The talent is there, but it’s just raw. I like the structure of Tex, RT, Berg (who I think is worth persisting with) and 3 smalls, with guys like Newchurch, Pedlar, Cook to get chances to rotate through soon enough. Maybe Fog replaces Berg in a few weeks once RT is more comfortable in the ruck?

Nothing good about today. Some players had their moments but there was lack of energy and effort. It reminded me of some of the game last year.

Port were outplayed tonight but they will thrash us next week if we play the same. Guys like Motlop, Fantasia and Gray will kick a bag against us.
We need to come up with a plan to nullify their midfield drive...oh and DO NOT kick it anywhere near Alir Alir

The talent is there, but it’s just raw. I like the structure of Tex, RT, Berg (who I think is worth persisting with) and 3 smalls, with guys like Newchurch, Pedlar, Cook to get chances to rotate through soon enough. Maybe Fog replaces Berg in a few weeks once RT is more comfortable in the ruck?
They don't want to play him there his year, but both ROB and Berg are ineffective so they might have to.

I should say, the forward talent isn't there YET.

As BACCS said we need Cook and Newchurch to come on, RT will do and Fog will get his turn.

Forget getting all technical....there’s one thing that’s changed between now and the first few weeks, and it’s our ferociousness. We were just about the highest pressure team in the league and everything else flowed from there. We’re no longer ferocious in the contest. Youngest squad in the league, we were never gonna maintain it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forget getting all technical....there’s one thing that’s changed between now and the first few weeks, and it’s our ferociousness. We were just about the highest pressure team in the league and everything else flowed from there. We’re no longer ferocious in the contest. Youngest squad in the league, we were never gonna maintain it
Saving it for the 2021 Grand Final. R8.

We cannot play in windy conditions

How many of our players couldn't kick a drop punt when going into it? How many talls misjudged the flight? How often did our defenders get caught under it and have it spill over the back?

Wind separates the smart from the dumb and the classy players from the grunt players.
Like you sometimes say mate, the oldest enemy of the Crows is wind. Just look at our accuracy today.

Tell me what went right today... a kick, a bounce, a well executed skill, an umpiring decision, a bounce, a strategy...anyone?

Anyone? Bueller?
I only watched the first minute of the game but I assume it all went peachy after that and we dominated?

We need to come up with a plan to nullify their midfield drive...oh and DO NOT kick it anywhere near Alir Alir

Actually, Brisbane dealt well with Allir tonight. They alternated their very tall athletic forwards on him to "out-Allir" Allir, and it worked!
Daniher and Hipwood had the required reach.

What would be disastrous for us would be for him to stand Tex: we should have Berg and TT on him.

Our best midfielder is a player who was delisted by Brisbane and picked up by us with a rookie pick. Doesn't this say anything in itself? We have no great midfielders apart from Sloane, who will only be with us another year or 2. After then, God help us.

Just needs a good preseason to build a body, he already has the tank. He will show all of you doubters.

giphy.gif

Our best midfielder is a player who was delisted by Brisbane and picked up by us with a rookie pick. Doesn't this say anything in itself? We have no great midfielders apart from Sloane, who will only be with us another year or 2. After then, God help us.
The others will be alright IMO.

But given we are down our best 2 mids it doesn't make it easy on these guys. And a ruckman who gets in your way when he's following the ball.....

Do you just ignore stats over the first 6 weeks where we were the 4th highest scoring team? We fell apart today, but the midfield got absolutely smashed, it had nothing to do with forward structure, I don’t know why you keep persisting with that line this week. It’s no surprise that we looked our best through the middle when Sloaney was back to his best form, I think we win at least one of the last two before today if he’s still playing. His inclusion will automatically improve our stoppage work again.

The issue is where is the next Rory Sloane (or someone even better) coming from?

We can't just rely on him carrying our midfield forever. Keays is good, but badly needs support.

Midfield badly struggling. Last year we drafted a midfielder with pick 28, he's playing today in the team. Name is Sam Berry.

Let's just check in to see where he played. Plenty of small forwards in the team, no need for him up there...

Screenshot_20210502-000459_AFL.jpg

Yep. That's the Crows

not sure where our defensive pressure was today didnt seem like they stuck with nicks plan

People's first impressions of Jackson Hately two games in?

Just gets a pass mark, considering we have played some horrific footy in 6 of the 8 quarters of footy he's played for us this year. Offensively, his output has been down on his GWS output, he looked cleaner and more sure with ball in hand playing in a far better system. When the chips are down in that regard he's definitely battling and his skills were bog ordinary. However defensively he was very good both weeks, 7 tackles last week 5 this week at LEAST SOMEONE was trying when the ball was going the other way. Also 4th for pressure acts for us today with 23 which was at least a good effort. Should have got a couple more frees, one clear in the back not paid. Far from our worst today, but will be wanting a better output offensively against Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back