Preview Round 8, 2021: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Metricon Stadium, Saturday 8th May, 1:45PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 43 65.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taller than Membrey, puts on another 4kg's would put him at N.Riewoldt's size & hard running then. Although he is J.Riewoldt's size at the minute. Hard gig in the forward line when you have King, Marshall & Membrey there. Battle is not quite quick enough for a H.F. role. Maybe King should play the wing role for now, haha, is agile enough.
Maybe king shouldn’t. Battle was a favourite of mine. Now is just hanging on. Slow.

I get that he is taller than Membrey but Membrey has always played taller than he is.

I just don't see him being that big contested forward, as a junior he was more of a Jack Gunston type that would find the footy by getting up and down the ground.

He's not quick but he is a very good endurance runner.
If he’s Jack Riewoldt size what’s stopping him or what attributes is he lacking to be a power forward? Jack Riewoldt’s no Nick but he’s managed ok I think, 3 Coleman’s and 3 premierships as their key forward. Josh Battle should be more than capable of doing that for us

If he’s Jack Riewoldt size what’s stopping him or what attributes is he lacking to be a power forward? Jack Riewoldt’s no Nick but he’s managed ok I think, 3 Coleman’s and 3 premierships as their key forward. Josh Battle should be more than capable of doing that for us
Well height isn't the only factor that determines what type of footballer you are.

Riewoldt has got a great leap to start with and is a natural deep forward.

He's nothing like Jack Riewoldt unfortunately.

Maybe more of a Jack Gunston type?

If Carlscum can beat them up there and then we most certainly can

We have to keep running, keep the ball moving and use that center corridor

Doogs will destroy Bing, Webster to brain Rankine and Battle to kick 3 just to shut some of you ferkers up

Go Saints!!

Better off stopping Luko from distributing to the forwards and Greenwood from winning clearance. Touk Miller is their only other mid and he can be taken on head to head.

We will have a big advantage in the ruck with Ryder and Marshall up against their makeshift ruckman but that won't be enough to win the game if they beat us in other areas. Collingwood had a big advantage in the ruck too with Grundy but it didn't do them much good as they got beaten everywhere else.

If we play at our best or close to it we should win but they are never easy to beat at home so I'm expecting a much tougher contest than the one we got from Hawthorn.

Don't see the need for many changes other than perhaps Carlisle or Frawley replacing Joyce, he wasn't terrible but he isn't as good as those other two.

Last edited:
We will have a big advantage in the ruck with Ryder and Marshall up against their makeshift ruckman but that won't be enough win the game if they beat us in other areas. Collingwood had a big advantage in the ruck too with Grundy but it didn't do them much good as they got beaten everywhere else.

If we play at our best or close to it we should win but they are never easy to beat at home so I'm expecting a much tougher contest than the one we got from Hawthorn.

Don't see the need for many changes other than perhaps Carlisle or Frawley replacing Joyce, he wasn't terrible but he isn't as good as those other two.
Zac Smith will be back this week

I would love to hear the coaches explain what they think we get out of Battle on a wing. He's literally had one good game there out of the entire time we've persisted with it. He is really struggling. Getting thrown around so much doesn't help him, but he doesn't look threatening as a forward either at the moment.

I think it’s easy enough to explain though even though I don’t like it. Clearly Ratts wants a pure defensive full back to mix with Howard and Wilkie. For the forward mix he wants Kings as the focus, with Marshall/Ryder playing the second forward role and then Membery as the third tall.

This leaves Battle in the mr. fixit role rotating through the wings/forward/back to relieve others.
The problem is, as you said, his individual game suffers and we don’t get to see the best out him while he’s doing that.

Personally I’d just let go of the idea of having a purely defensive full back and have Battle, Howard and Wilkie down there.

I haven't seen the suns for ages. Ellis leading the comp for marks and 3rd for uncontested possessions. It's been a big weakness of ours this year, hopefully someone is assigned to shut him down. Sinclair?

Age??? & he's been thrown around like a rag doll haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tickets booked. First time heading to Metricon.

Ryder should dominate, whether Smith plays or not. Going to need it against their midfield. Greenwood, Miller, Anderson etc are really solid.
Steele on Greenwood, Jones on Miller should be good to watch

Did Frawley produce anything deserving of selection today?
If not the only selection possible, you’d think, would be Dmac. Don’t mind this dilemma.
I’d go unchanged with Dmac the sub.

Hey guys, haven't read or posted anything since the win (that I can remember - had a few last night).
Did anyone else think Howard looked a bit sore late in the game?
Hope he pulls up OK. You'd think our boys would play well on Bing, having plenty of practice with big Max each week.
Bit worried that with no Paton/Geary Rankine will have one of those games that flashy players have against us, where instead of flashing in and out they just dominate.
Anyway, I think we're better than them, and we should be motivated by seeing them above us on the ladder. It can't be allowed to stay that way.

Does anyone know, how Frawley went & pulled up.
Did Frawley produce anything deserving of selection today?
If not the only selection possible, you’d think, would be Dmac. Don’t mind this dilemma.
I’d go unchanged with Dmac the sub.

A few in the Sandy thread who watched said he looked a bit rusty, didn't sound like he was banging the door down in any case.

Highmore on the other hand had a huge game by all reports.

Looking at the Gold Coast line up and assuming Smith will be in for the guy they've had rucking, Graham, Highmore will be a good chance to come in this week. He just dominated at VFL and the match up is better suited to him this week than the past few weeks where the 2nd KPF has been 195cm plus.

That would leave the forward match ups as:

Bing 202cm v Howard 199cm
Corbett 190cm v Wilkie 191cm
Burgess 191cm v Highmore 192cm

Webster the only option for Rankine.

The other option is Battle plays back but our forward half looked and functioned great so I dont think there's a need to change that set up after a successful week.

The last 3 games have been decided by 4, 4, and 1 point, don't see that changing this time either
Suns to host 3rd game in a row vs us.

Suns have been decent so far, should be a good game

Well height isn't the only factor that determines what type of footballer you are.

Riewoldt has got a great leap to start with and is a natural deep forward.

He's nothing like Jack Riewoldt unfortunately.

Maybe more of a Jack Gunston type?
No but heights pretty much the only thing you can’t teach. He can learn the rest

Age??? & he's been thrown around like a rag doll haha
That’s why I’m not so quick to jump on him for not doing it yet. He’s got it in him, just needs the time and games backing him in. He’s got the potential that we can make him not just a third forward who takes defenders for Max King but a genuine threat and weapon of our own who’s kicking 40+ too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back