Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Jackson Callow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it my imagination, or are there some people on this thread actually hoping that Callow may not be as good as those who have actually seen him play rate him? I've watched Callow all season at Norwood and he is very impressive indeed, and I am surprised to see people questioning his agility. He is very good in the contested mark department and will be very handy for the Hawks, be it in the forward line or defence. Just needs some time to adjust to the extra pace of AFL.
No it’s is not imagination and there are some that just don’t do it about a player, but the whole club.

Hell there is one particular poster who seems determined to do a weekly update on how “s**t our club is”

I know he could not get to the keyboard quickly enough to say how s**t we are after losing to the GCS and he even covered his arse in case we won that game by saying “We are s**t enough to win this meaningless game and lose the number 2 MSD pick”

I could understand if we had been s**t for years and years but the fact we have been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century, I can never understand it.

I am not completely rose coloured glasses when it comes to our club because like most on here I know we have a lot of hard work to do to get back to the top. I just don’t need to hear “how s**t we are” on a weekly basis while we are doing it.

This is an excellent discussion. I liked the way he responded to his inaccuracy when kicking 3.7. Interesting comments regarding the Burley ball used in the SANFL v Sherrin.

Is it my imagination, or are there some people on this thread actually hoping that Callow may not be as good as those who have actually seen him play rate him? I've watched Callow all season at Norwood and he is very impressive indeed, and I am surprised to see people questioning his agility. He is very good in the contested mark department and will be very handy for the Hawks, be it in the forward line or defence. Just needs some time to adjust to the extra pace of AFL.

I think its your imagination.

Dont confuse tempering expectations with actually wishing someone to fail.

No it’s is not imagination and there are some that just don’t do it about a player, but the whole club.

Hell there is one particular poster who seems determined to do a weekly update on how “sh*t our club is”

I know he could not get to the keyboard quickly enough to say how sh*t we are after losing to the GCS and he even covered his arse in case we won that game by saying “We are sh*t enough to win this meaningless game and lose the number 2 MSD pick”

I could understand if we had been sh*t for years and years but the fact we have been winning Premierships at an astonishing rate for over half a century, I can never understand it.

I am not completely rose coloured glasses when it comes to our club because like most on here I know we have a lot of hard work to do to get back to the top. I just don’t need to hear “how sh*t we are” on a weekly basis while we are doing it.

But mate, we are s**t!

I dont know a lot about this kid outside of hat everyone else knows. Got some talent but also got some concerns, otherwise he wouldn't have been available in the 2nd round of the MSD.

The idea of turning him into a backman is intriguing. TOB, Kosi and Jeka wont ever be backmen so its a nice idea.

However he turns out, Im just over the moon we have a Tasmanian on our list again!

I dont know a lot about this kid outside of hat everyone else knows. Got some talent but also got some concerns, otherwise he wouldn't have been available in the 2nd round of the MSD.

The idea of turning him into a backman is intriguing. TOB, Kosi and Jeka wont ever be backmen so its a nice idea.

However he turns out, Im just over the moon we have a Tasmanian on our list again!
I think they will try him up forward at Box Hill, if he doesn't make it there they will try him down back. Interesting that he kicked 24 goals in 14 games as a 16 year old in the NAB Cup. As a 17 year old he was playing in the Tasmanian State League against men and this year as an 18 year old in the SANFL. He didn't go back to NAB where he would most likely have dominated, to play in the stronger SANFL competition because he thought it would be better for his development.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see the distance he put on McAsey there.

You have to factor in the fact he's already ahead of him (based on the angle in the first picture), and given that he's instigating the movement he will always have the first step or two on McAsey before he reacts.

That last part will be the concern for Callow if he's playing FB. Forwards will always initiate the movement/lead and the defender has to react - they are behind literally and also in the sense that they are reacting to what the forwards do. You need closing speed or the kicks have to be pressured up the field.

Watch the footage

I think they will try him up forward at Box Hill, if he doesn't make it there they will try him down back. Interesting that he kicked 24 goals in 14 games as a 16 year old in the NAB Cup. As a 17 year old he was playing in the Tasmanian State League against men and this year as an 18 year old in the SANFL. He didn't go back to NAB where he would most likely have dominated, to play in the stronger SANFL competition because he thought it would be better for his development.
This is it - he ain't a shy skinny kid - he'll give it a crack - by geez how is that bad for the entire team/list/club - we need this type of attitude from the bottom up now, not the top down.

This is an excellent discussion. I liked the way he responded to his inaccuracy when kicking 3.7. Interesting comments regarding the Burley ball used in the SANFL v Sherrin.
It's not just me hey - the Sherrin is half the size it used to be ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back