Toast It's the finals countdown - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I vote scaryness steps down as mod if we lose this weekend now.

It's fine, grimlock , RW or myself will simply step back into the role.

Then we can permanently closed this thread until finals is confirmed.
We are 2 games and 30% clear of 9th with 6 rounds to go.

All I know is that if we miss finals from here then every single person who has posted in this thread will be receiving a Day Off!

Some here think we can get to top four but I don't think so.
Current ladder is Brisbane 44 points 129%
Port 44/119
Swans 40/115

Therefore we need to win at least one more game than Port to go to 5th, and maybe two depending on percentage. Definitely two more wins than Brisbane. Let's assume we win all 6 vs GWS/Freo/Essendon/St Kilda/North/Gold Coast.
Port play:
St Kilda away*
Collingwood AO
GWS away*
Showdown notionally away
Carlton home
Dogs away*

*Tough games

I can see us possibly overtaking Port.

Brisbane play:
Richmond away
Hawthorn away
Gold Coast home
Freo home
Collingwood away
West Coast home

Even if we win all 6 remaining games, I can't see Brisbane dropping two of these, Hipwood or no.
Those losses to Gold Coast and Hawthorn especially will bite us.

Port 44/119
Swans 40/115

Therefore we need to win at least one more game than Port to go to 5th, and maybe two depending on percentage. Definitely two more wins than Brisbane. Let's assume we win all 6 vs GWS/Freo/Essendon/St Kilda/North/Gold Coast.
Port play:
St Kilda away*
Collingwood AO
GWS away*
Showdown notionally away
Carlton home
Dogs away*

*Tough games

Brisbane play:
Richmond away
Hawthorn away
Gold Coast home
Freo home
Collingwood away
West Coast home

Even if we win all 6 remaining games, I can't see Brisbane dropping two of these, Hipwood or no.

I agree it's unlikely, but it's not crazy. We need to beat everyone ahead of us and then rely on other results. Brisbane have shown themselves to be a bit shaky of late so anything is possible.

Also, if we get a few more WC-style drubbings going we could even overtake the Lions on percentage, though that is a big ask.

Port 44/119
Swans 40/115

Port play:
St Kilda away*
Collingwood AO
GWS away*
Showdown notionally away
Carlton home
Dogs away*

*Tough games

Brisbane play:
Richmond away
Hawthorn away
Gold Coast home
Freo home
Collingwood away
West Coast home

Yeah I'm with you in that I don't think we will make top 4 either. Dream scenario, wherever we finish, is playing WC in the first final.
Come week 2 of finals it's cut throat for everyone from there on.

Port 44/119
Swans 40/115

Port play:
St Kilda away*
Collingwood AO
GWS away*
Showdown notionally away
Carlton home
Dogs away*

*Tough games

Brisbane play:
Richmond away
Hawthorn away
Gold Coast home
Freo home
Collingwood away
West Coast home

Brisbane's percentage is the real kicker. They need to drop at least 2 games in the run home and we win everyone of ours. We'll never catchup to their percentage if they only drop 1 match

Will need a few Eagle style thumpings to catch up to Brisbane % certainly possible.
This time last year it was unimaginable that we could finish in the 8, let alone have a "home" final. Most pundits, including this board, at the start of the season had us finishing 10th or lower.
Our expectations have been raised, and that's great, but the best we can do is aim to win every week on the way home. Anything else is outside our control.
Sounds like something 🐴 would say.

This time last year it was unimaginable that we could finish in the 8, let alone have a "home" final. Most pundits, including this board, at the start of the season had us finishing 10th or lower.
Our expectations have been raised, and that's great, but the best we can do is aim to win every week on the way home. Anything else is outside our control.

Absolutely but when find yourself in a decent position like us you need to grasp it with both hands and make the most of it.

Who knows next year with a tougher draw/covid/injuries??

But along the way we need to spell players or play other players. ie give Buddy a week off, or Gulden a week off or play whoever who has been injured and needs game time, whoever along the way. I want us primed as hell before that stupid bye weekend.

I think it’s entirely possible, likely even, that Brisbane and Port open the door for Swans to make top 4, but I also think there’s no way the Swans win out. They’ve dropped a couple of bad ones already and seem Reed up to do it again.

I think it’s entirely possible, likely even, that Brisbane and Port open the door for Swans to make top 4, but I also think there’s no way the Swans win out. They’ve dropped a couple of bad ones already and seem Reed up to do it again.
I actually completely agree with this. If we win every game well from here on out we will be in the top 4. There'll be enough percentage and teams ahead will drop games here and there, but if we lose a game our chances are over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 more win and we probably make the finals, 2 more wins and we definitely make the finals.

Also we are only 1 game and maybe 3% outside the top 4 right now. We want Port to drop a game they are expected to win, Brisbane too.

Cornes was asked by a caller how far he thinks the impressive Swans can go in September.
“A long way, the way they’re playing,” he told SEN.
“If I had to do the Gerard and David King seedings, I’d have them (Sydney) fourth.
“I think they’re as good a shot as the others.”

See Cornes’ top six seedings below:

1. Geelong
  2. Western Bulldogs
  3. Melbourne
  4. Sydney
  5. Brisbane
  6. Port Adelaide

Cornes was asked by a caller how far he thinks the impressive Swans can go in September.
“A long way, the way they’re playing,” he told SEN.
“If I had to do the Gerard and David King seedings, I’d have them (Sydney) fourth.
“I think they’re as good a shot as the others.”

See Cornes’ top six seedings below:

1. Geelong
  2. Western Bulldogs
  3. Melbourne
  4. Sydney
  5. Brisbane
  6. Port Adelaide

I can't believe I agree with Kane Cornes :oops:

We are 2 games and 30% clear of 9th with 6 rounds to go.

All I know is that if we miss finals from here then every single person who has posted in this thread will be receiving a Day Off!

Will you ban scaryness ?

Also, will this become a `Certified Legendary Thread` if we do make finals?

Will you ban scaryness ?

Also, will this become a `Certified Legendary Thread` if we do make finals?
[Certified Legendary Thread]s aren't that easy to get.

This will only end up with the Certified Legendary Thread tag if RUNVS changes the title to 'It's the PREMIERSHIP countdown - 2021' now and we end up winning the premiership.

[Certified Legendary Thread]s aren't that easy to get.

This will only end up with the Certified Legendary Thread tag if RUNVS changes the title to 'It's the PREMIERSHIP countdown - 2021' now and we end up winning the premiership.

I am torn here as part of me wants to do that but then I lose the bad Europe pun.

Media already suggesting we will win all of our last H&A games. Which would makes us 16-6 with a chance to finish as high as 3rd with a lot of luck, and go into finals winning 8 in a row.

We want to finish 3rd, thats where we win flags from haha

Media already suggesting we will win all of our last H&A games. Which would makes us 16-6 with a chance to finish as high as 3rd with a lot of luck, and go into finals winning 8 in a row.

We want to finish 3rd, thats where we win flags from haha

I don't think we will be that lucky!

Anyway, we have now won 13 games which makes it mathematically impossible for us to miss the finals from here. Kennedy Parker will be disappointed at not being able to use his banhammer. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back