Recommitted Rory Lobb [trade is off, staying at Fremantle]

Remove this Banner Ad

No actually, it's something you fail to understand - and you are exactly who I was referencing with that comment.

Apparently a Top 4 side not playing a talented kid drafted only 3 years ago warrants you making 'welfare' comments over and over again...but when Lobb wants to return to his former club because he'd be happier there - it's crickets.

Basically telling you flat out to shelve your hypocrisy and refrain from making your little welfare comments in the future - as every club (including your own) has a right to hold their player to contract. It's better for the comp as a whole.
Lobb's family is in Perth, Lobb is best 22 and his gf got a job in Melbourne.

What's the difference between Rivers and Clark? Very similar players but one team take chances with youth and the other can't beat top 4 teams in finals.

Geelong should have played Clark and I am sorry but the Cats open the gate.

GWS wants Lobb for F2 plus Fremantle pays a part of his wages vs Geelong who refuse to trade Clark for a very early second pick.

Last edited:
No actually, it's something you fail to understand - and you are exactly who I was referencing with that comment.

Apparently a Top 4 side not playing a talented kid drafted only 3 years ago warrants you making 'welfare' comments over and over again...but when Lobb wants to return to his former club because he'd be happier there - it's crickets.

Basically telling you flat out to shelve your hypocrisy and refrain from making your little welfare comments in the future - as every club (including your own) has a right to hold their player to contract. It's better for the comp as a whole.

You can stop puffing your chest out.

Pick 22 is a reasonable offer. If pick 19 wasn’t in our hands it would be close to done. That’s your clubs right to chase and stand your ground. A deal will likely get done.

Lobb is a ruck/ forward. Not many around regardless of how spudly he is. Bell is on record as saying find us a replacement. We’re receptive to his needs despite having 2 years left. A future 2nd is an absolute insult. GWS want to offer a guy 3 years on above average pay and then offer peanuts? This ain’t a salary dump nor is he someone we can just replace.

So calm down with your moral high ground stance. Both will likely get done.

Plus Lobb came to us as a grown man. Clark had no say on where he went.

The 2 issues are so far apart on many levels.
1) Clark offered fair deal. Lobb not close.
2) Clark not best 22. Lobb is.
3) Clark 1 year remaining. Lobb 2.
4) Clark easier to replace. Lobb not so much.

So pick your bottom lip up. Stop acting like your the patron Saint of Bigfooty.

Lobb's family is in Perth, Lobb is best 22 and his gf got a job in Melbourne.

What's the difference between Rivers and Clark? Very similar players but one team take chances with youth and the other can't beat top 4 teams in finals.

Geelong should have played Clark and I am sorry but the Cats open the gate.

GWS wants Lobb for F2 plus Fremantle pays a part of his wages vs Geelong who refuse to trade Clark for a very early second pick.

From all reports the trade is already likely done in principle - we're just holding out to see if anything else shakes loose.

Whatever your perspective, I'm just saying now that the shoe is on the other foot, probably lose the 'welfare comments' in future - as it's just a s**t argument that incites supporters of oppo teams.

From all reports the trade is already likely done in principle - we're just holding out to see if anything else shakes loose.

Whatever your perspective, I'm just saying now that the shoe is on the other foot, probably lose the 'welfare comments' in future - as it's just a sh*t argument that incites supporters of oppo teams.
How is Lobb a player welfare thing?

Family in Perth and partner got a job Melbourne.

If Lobb was asking for a trade to a Victorian team, then you have a point.

You can stop puffing your chest out.

Pick 22 is a reasonable offer. If pick 19 wasn’t in our hands it would be close to done. That’s your clubs right to chase and stand your ground. A deal will likely get done.

Lobb is a ruck/ forward. Not many around regardless of how spudly he is. Bell is on record as saying find us a replacement. We’re receptive to his needs despite having 2 years left. A future 2nd is an absolute insult. GWS want to offer a guy 3 years on above average pay and then offer peanuts? This ain’t a salary dump nor is he someone we can just replace.

So calm down with your moral high ground stance. Both will likely get done.

Plus Lobb came to us as a grown man. Clark had no say on where he went.

The 2 issues are so far apart on many levels.
1) Clark offered fair deal. Lobb not close.
2) Clark not best 22. Lobb is.
3) Clark 1 year remaining. Lobb 2.
4) Clark easier to replace. Lobb not so much.

So pick your bottom lip up. Stop acting like your the patron Saint of Bigfooty.

There is no moral high ground stance by me here. I'm actually responding facetiously to eastfreo75 making it a moral high ground issue by stating we're horrible for deigning to try to hold Clark to his contract.

I'm actually stating that NO-ONE should moralize about holding their players to contract, as it's a s**t argument. That's the opposite of high ground lol - as I have no problem you guys holding Lobb to his contract, nor do I have a problem with Geelong holding Clark to his.

There is no moral high ground stance by me here. I'm actually responding facetiously to eastfreo75 making it a moral high ground issue by stating we're horrible for deigning to try to hold Clark to his contract.

I'm actually stating that NO-ONE should moralize about holding their players to contract, as it's a sh*t argument. That's the opposite of high ground lol - as I have no problem you guys holding Lobb to his contract, nor do I have a problem with Geelong holding Clark to his.
Geelong has form with Tim Kelly.

Kelly's partner struggled and wanted family support.

What a ruthless club.

Jordan Clark, a 21 year old, doesn't think he's going to get game time. Barely happened yet. Requests trade back to Freo. We offer 27 - denied...Something between 27 and 8 required. We offer 25 - denied. We offer 22- denied. Geelong want 19. Not happening. So we've done what we can and if the player becomes unhappy it's whose fault? I would imagine that unless you significantly up his game time (if a trade doesn't happen this year) he'll still be unhappy in a years time and only 22. Who wants a miserable player on their list for a year?
That's a kid not feeling like he's part of the team trying to get himself into a better space.

From some accounts Rory Lobb was told he could play better than he has this year. His agent decides to test the Market. GWS offer future second for a first 22 player with still 2 (not 1 - 2) years on his contract. He's 28 so I imagine homesickness isn't a concern. "He calls his old mates at GWS every week" says his manager. More likely his front ended contract is now leaning into the leaner years and he reckons his agent can get a 4 year contract. His agent comes back to Peter Bell and says "Nup..they're not going to pony up". Now he's still pushing despite no other club showing interest now.
That's a senior player who's valued and been told he's required but has to work harder trying for an easy out. With his agent trying to play the media.

Talented kids get played early (Matt Rowell, Nat Fyfe name but two) not wrapped in cotton wool till Gary Rohan gives up the game.

And while you may disagree with any of the above points (I have no issue with that) telling another poster to shelve their hypocrisy and refrain from making "little welfare comments" will have no bearing on any of the trades yet to play out .... and has no real bearing on the conversation. As well as sounding a tad agressive.

Maybe this is common sense here but

Mitch McGovern to Fremantle
Rory Lobb to GWS
Future 2nd rounder to Carlton

I'm actually stating that NO-ONE should moralize about holding their players to contract, as it's a sh*t argument. That's the opposite of high ground lol - as I have no problem you guys holding Lobb to his contract, nor do I have a problem with Geelong holding Clark to his.

I will agree that contracts should mean more and if broken penalties should apply.

What exactly? Who knows.

But guys can’t sign 3-4 year deals and then want out 2 years later.

If it’s money then perhaps the player sits out for half a year?

This Lobb thing smacks of contradicting comments and is why Freo supporters are vocal.

Firstly, Young goes on record and says his client ‘Lobb’ would like to go back to GWS. They’re a friendly club, blah blah.

But then the ‘sticking point’ is 3 years not 4? I mean how stupid do we look. Does he want to go or not. Can’t have your cake and eat it to. He should just leave on a 2 year deal if it’s about leaving.

Young also makes comment about pay cut. 2 years for $1.4m or 4 years for $2m. That’s not exactly a pay cut and to describe it as such is an insult to anyone with grade 4 maths.

He’ll be 29 at start of next season. Make no mistake. Lobb can see the writing on the wall. He does his 2 years at Freo it’s likely goodnight AFL career. He’s already injured 40% of the seasons. He’s looking for 1 last contract.

Plus this is largely being driven by Young who wants his cut.

Do you see the antagonistic bullshit that your ilk posts?

The hypocrisy is astounding when it comes to the backflips some of you guys try to do to justify why something is right when you do it - but not when others do.

'It's right for me, but not for thee.'

You seem to biting quite hard at this.

The two cases are significantly different and not just as simple as "Two guys under contract"

What is wrong with you? TK was drafted, had one kid with issues, we held him to his contract as he specifically chose WC instead of Freo even though he cited welfare as a need to go (which 99% of Freo supporters were on board with given that he backhanded you in the process). We tried supporting him further the next year, didn't work out as another of his kids displayed a disability. WC traded for him, he thanked us for everything given we were the club who drafted him after 6 years of being overlooked - and we moved on.

You're actually f*cked you know that?

The 75 in your name must be your IQ. Not bothering with you anymore. You act like you're some arbiter of justice, but really you're just a tribalistic parasite who likes to sit behind his screen and dispense his own form of hypocritical BS - whilst acting like they're doing nothing wrong when other supporters call you out on it.

Ignored.
You know if you lose an argument when you get personal and defensive.

Clearly, Kelly choose West Coast over Fremantle for many reasons including player welfare.

What you fail to understand that Kelly wanted to go home for family reasons and Geelong said no.

Geelong knew that having a great player on little money was a great money ball move.

Not how sure Lobb situation is a player welfare issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will agree that contracts should mean more and if broken penalties should apply.

What exactly? Who knows.

This Lobb thing smacks of contradicting comments and is why Freo supporters are vocal.

Firstly, Young goes on record and says his client ‘Lobb’ would like to go back to GWS. They’re a friendly club, blah blah.

But then the ‘sticking point’ is 3 years not 4? I mean how stupid do we look. Does he want to go or not. Can’t have your cake and eat it to. He should just leave on a 2 year deal if it’s about leaving.

Young also makes comment about pay cut. 2 years for $1.4m or 4 years for $2m. That’s not exactly a pay cut and to describe it as such is an insult to anyone with grade 4 maths.

He’ll be 29 at start of next season. Make no mistake. Lobb can see the writing on the wall. He does his 2 years at Freo it’s likely goodnight AFL career. He’s already injured 40% of the seasons. He’s looking for 1 last contract.

Very fair comments here, and kudos for you so being so reasoned and logical in your response.

Young is an absolute tool btw, and he has no right to say what he has been saying. No player manager should pit player and club against each other, it's just sh*tty behaviour and reeks of self-interest.

What exactly? Who knows.

And also getting the best outcome for his client.

Let's be honest we'd all love Colin Young working for us. The guy is a magician.

In a bottom 8 side where 3 players you delisted this year were getting constant games. It means nothing when the competition for spots is nowhere near as fierce.

Do you think Lobb would have got games if Hawkins and Cameron were in your forward line alongside Taberner? I very much doubt it.

I’m sorry but your reasoning is not making much sense to me. You are suggesting Lobb wouldn’t get a game for Geelong by hypothesising him having to fit in to a forward line with Hawkins, Cameron and Taberner? Yet Taberner does not play for Geelong so thus u must believe there is someone in Geelongs forward line currently that is at the level of Taberner... which must be Rohan. The problem here is that Taberner is a much much better player than Gary ‘Rubdown’ Rohan. I apologise if Rohan is a far superior player as you probably only watch freo once or twice a year and likely have a different opinion. So lets remove Tabs from the conversation then. Given Cameron is a roaming forward and once played alongside Rory Lobb in a stacked GWS team I believe he would make the Geelong team where Ratugolea has played 15 games. Again apologies if I am wrong as your opinion is of much more validity than any man on this forum.

Clark on the other hand... well the past two seasons have made it clear. To make matters worse they essentially gave him the middle finger when Geelong decided to introduce more senior citizens to the ever growing retirement village down there.

I’m just having a geese at the prelim final team vs Melbourne and there is a couple of names here that I feel as though a ‘valuable’ and ‘required’ player should have gotten games over regardless if they play different positions or not since we are comparing Jordan Clark to Rory Lobb after all: Z Guthrie, E Ratugolea, J Kolodjashnij, T Atkins, L Henderson, J Bews, B Close and M Holmes. Would those players be traded for Pick 19???

Lastly, a quick little tip to get you up to date with Fremantle’s list as well is that we have two key forwards other than Lobb currently. Their names are Matt Taberner who you must be familiar with (as in you know his name but nothing about him as a player) and Josh Treacy a 19 year old. I just feel as though Jordan Clark is probably a little more expendable for Geelong, while Lobb is probably of more value to the Fremantle Football Club and would get a game anywhere in the AFL in a best 22. While your analogy made very little sense given that no club in the AFL has three quality taller forwards at this stage. Lastly you are implying that Fremantle fans are delusional for asking for top dollar for Lobb while baulking at Geelongs trade offer, which is fair enough to an extent. However Fremantle have been fairly generous in moving up the order to satisfy Geelong with a solid pick 22, which supposedly Geelong asked for... therefore we met there demand and were generous in negotiations. All we want is fair compensation for Lobb like Geelong wished for Clark and have less of an inclination to trade him than Geelong do with Clark given he is best 22 and one of a limited resource on the list. Lobb is more valuable in every way shape or form than Clark at this stage apart from age/potential.
That is all.

He says after he got personal and defensive by bringing up TK and insulting my club's conduct when he got called out on his hypocrisy?

Are you seriously that insular? No I'm just pissed off that you like to continually insult my club with your offhand shitty comments, and then act all innocent when you're called out on it. It's a shitty way to behave, and you wheel it out over and over again without any justification.

Don't respond to me again, as you're clearly too self-interested and tribalistic to see your own part in this.
I’ll list my criticisms of Geelong in the posts.
1. Geelong should have played Clark. Sorry mate but some Cat fans had the same view.
2. Geelong didn’t do a great job with load management and run out of stream.
3. Geelong should have played more youth like Melbourne, Dogs and Port.
4. Geelong made a ruthless decision to keep Kelly for a year. Win at all cost including player welfare.
5. Geelong changing the goal posts is not in good faith.

I’m sorry but your reasoning is not making much sense to me. You are suggesting Lobb wouldn’t get a game for Geelong by hypothesising him having to fit in to a forward line with Hawkins, Cameron and Taberner? Yet Taberner does not play for Geelong so thus u must believe there is someone in Geelongs forward line currently that is at the level of Taberner... which must be Rohan. The problem here is that Taberner is a much much better player than Gary ‘Rubdown’ Rohan. I apologise if Rohan is a far superior player as you probably only watch freo once or twice a year and likely have a different opinion. So lets remove Tabs from the conversation then. Given Cameron is a roaming forward and once played alongside Rory Lobb in a stacked GWS team I believe he would make the Geelong team where Ratugolea has played 15 games. Again apologies if I am wrong as your opinion is of much more validity than any man on this forum.

Clark on the other hand... well the past two seasons have made it clear. To make matters worse they essentially gave him the middle finger when Geelong decided to introduce more senior citizens to the ever growing retirement village down there.

I’m just having a geese at the prelim final team vs Melbourne and there is a couple of names here that I feel as though a ‘valuable’ and ‘required’ player should have gotten games over regardless if they play different positions or not since we are comparing Jordan Clark to Rory Lobb after all: Z Guthrie, E Ratugolea, J Kolodjashnij, T Atkins, L Henderson, J Bews, B Close and M Holmes. Would those players be traded for Pick 19???

Lastly, a quick little tip to get you up to date with Fremantle’s list as well is that we have two key forwards other than Lobb currently. Their names are Matt Taberner who you must be familiar with (as in you know his name but nothing about him as a player) and Josh Treacy a 19 year old. I just feel as though Jordan Clark is probably a little more expendable for Geelong, while Lobb is probably of more value to the Fremantle Football Club and would get a game anywhere in the AFL in a best 22. While your analogy made very little sense given that no club in the AFL has three quality taller forwards at this stage. Lastly you are implying that Fremantle fans are delusional for asking for top dollar for Lobb while baulking at Geelongs trade offer, which is fair enough to an extent. However Fremantle have been fairly generous in moving up the order to satisfy Geelong with a solid pick 22, which supposedly Geelong asked for... therefore we met there demand and were generous in negotiations. All we want is fair compensation for Lobb like Geelong wished for Clark and have less of an inclination to trade him than Geelong do with Clark given he is best 22 and one of a limited resource on the list. Lobb is more valuable in every way shape or form than Clark at this stage apart from age/potential.
That is all.

Awks. Don't make assumptions about me, as you have no idea about what I know or how many games I watch, lol.

Btw, you've got it backwards. I was stating that if Hawkins and Cameron played for Freo, then Lobb wouldn't get a look in as Taberner would be the next best KPF. Darcy is ahead of him in the ruck, as is Meek. Treacy looks a good young player and has some real good attack on the ball, but Lobb is probably ahead of him at least given his rawness/age.

For the record, I watch basically most games of footy, as I play fantasy footy and there's genuinely nothing else to do when you're in perpetual lockdown. I was actually an advocate for Darcy Tucker, when not many on my board even knew who he was. I also like Schulz, Young, Brayshaw, Ryan, Cox, Chapman, Sturt and Serong, all as players that are close to/could become A grade in their careers.

Lol, point is, don't make assumptions about people just because you don't like their argument. I know who all your players are, and I like a fair few of them too. Not to mention, the Lobb argument was centered on the idea that he might not get a game in a more stacked side with better KPF's - ala the situation with Clark where I. Smith, Duncan and Menegola were all running the wings, and Tuohy, Bews and Stewart were off half back.

Anyway, leave it there.

What is wrong with you? TK was drafted, had one kid with issues, we held him to his contract as he specifically chose WC instead of Freo even though he cited welfare as a need to go (which 99% of Freo supporters were on board with given that he backhanded you in the process). We tried supporting him further the next year, didn't work out as another of his kids displayed a disability. WC traded for him, he thanked us for everything given we were the club who drafted him after 6 years of being overlooked - and we moved on.

You're actually f*cked you know that?

The 75 in your name must be your IQ. Not bothering with you anymore. You act like you're some arbiter of justice, but really you're just a tribalistic parasite who likes to sit behind his screen and dispense his own form of hypocritical BS - whilst acting like they're doing nothing wrong when other supporters call you out on it.

Ignored.
What a load of BS I've just ignored you pal.

Awks. Don't make assumptions about me, as you have no idea about what I know or how many games I watch, lol.

Btw, you've got it backwards. I was stating that if Hawkins and Cameron played for Freo, then Lobb wouldn't get a look in as Taberner would be the next best KPF. Darcy is ahead of him in the ruck, as is Meek. Treacy looks a good young player and has some real good attack on the ball, but Lobb is probably ahead of him at least given his rawness/age.

For the record, I watch basically most games of footy, as I play fantasy footy and there's genuinely nothing else to do when you're in perpetual lockdown. I was actually an advocate for Darcy Tucker, when not many on my board even knew who he was. I also like Schulz, Young, Brayshaw, Ryan, Cox, Chapman, Sturt and Serong, all as players that are close to/could become A grade in their careers.

Lol, point is, don't make assumptions about people just because you don't like their argument. I know who all your players are, and I like a fair few of them too. Not to mention, the Lobb argument was centered on the idea that he might not get a game in a more stacked side with better KPF's - ala the situation with Clark where I. Smith, Duncan and Menegola were all running the wings, and Tuohy, Bews and Stewart were off half back.

Anyway, leave it there.

My bad if you watch most games of football and watch freo as there is many out there that don’t. The Hawkins and Cameron analogy is still a poor argument in this instance as adding those two to any side would push out a teams second key forward. I believe Lobb would still get a game for every team in the AFL. I reckon Lobb would have to get over his hate for playing in the ruck and would play over Meek in the ruck if Darcy was injured and we had Hawkins, Cameron and Taberner...

My bad if you watch most games of football and watch freo as there is many out there that don’t. The Hawkins and Cameron analogy is still a poor argument in this instance as adding those two to any side would push out a teams second key forward. I believe Lobb would still get a game for every team in the AFL. I reckon Lobb would have to get over his hate for playing in the ruck and would play over Meek in the ruck if Darcy was injured and we had Hawkins, Cameron and Taberner...

That's kinda the point though re: Hawkins and Cameron pushing the next best KPF out?

Given that Clark was basically barred from playing in our backline because Scarlett is a class A dickhead, the only spot available for him to break into was a wing position. Given I. Smith, Duncan and Menegola were all ahead of him in that position, isn't that kinda the same thing? Wouldn't most kids in most teams not get a game ahead of those 3?

That's the point I'm trying to make re: Lobb vs Clark and games played based on positional depth. He would have had to have been better than one of those 3, and they're all AA squad calibre players. That's a tough ask.

That's kinda the point though re: Hawkins and Cameron pushing the next best KPF out?

Given that Clark was basically barred from playing in our backline because Scarlett is a class A dickhead, the only spot available for him to break into was a wing position. Given I. Smith, Duncan and Menegola were all ahead of him in that position, isn't that kinda the same thing? Wouldn't most kids in most teams not get a game ahead of those 3?

That's the point I'm trying to make re: Lobb vs Clark and games played based on positional depth. He would have had to have been better than one of those 3, and they're all AA squad calibre players. That's a tough ask.

True but Tbf Geelong did choose to bring in Isaac Smith so clearly they saw outside run as a position of need and didn’t have confidence in the existing players to get the job done. Do you think Clark will be a very good fit for freo then and what is his potential?

Edit: It does make it difficult to put a trade price on Clark given his situation in the last two years after he had a great first year and was a first round pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back