Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't selected in the 22 under 22 side.

The lack of hype around what Newcombe achieved this season is quite staggering. I assume society is done with underdog stories?

Has the 'influencer' generation resulted in greater interest in the silver spoon Daicos types?
Fine with him missing the 22 under 22 side. It looks like they've actually picked it based on position played as opposed to the AA method of jamming midfielders on every flank.

I'm comfortable that he's currently externally rated behind Brayshaw, Walsh, Smith and Serong as they're all proven guns over multiple seasons. Jai has only had the one stand out season so far. I don't think the 22 under 22 side is explicitly just based on the current season.

Jai's Rising Star Season - by the numbers:

1st I50s - 81 (Nick Daicos next best on 51)
1st Goal Assists - 12 (Equal with Corey Durdin)
1st Tackles - 89 (Jake Soligo second on 45)
1st Contested Possessions - 173 (JHF second on 124)
1st Centre Clearances - 30 (JHF second on 17)
1st Clearances - 75 (JHF second on 52)
1st Average Metres Gained - 443pg (Daicos Second on 402)
2nd Score Involvements - 105 (Nic Martin first with 107)
2nd Disposals - 425 (Daicos first with 495)

That's impact, IMO.
After a barnstorming last few weeks, Jai ended up here (amongst rising star eligible, not just nominated, players):

1st I50s - 90 (Nick Daicos second on 60)
1st Goal Assists - 16 (Corey Durdin second on 13)
1st Tackles - 101 (Finn second on 57)
1st Contested Possessions - 201 (JHF second on 142)
1st Centre Clearances - 33 (JHF second on 19)
1st Clearances - 85 (JHF second on 58)
1st Average Metres Gained - 435pg (Daicos second on 407)
1st Score Involvements - 119 (Nic Martin second on 118)
2nd Disposals - 497 (Daicos first with 571)

Fine with him missing the 22 under 22 side. It looks like they've actually picked it based on position played as opposed to the AA method of jamming midfielders on every flank.

I'm comfortable that he's currently externally rated behind Brayshaw, Walsh, Smith and Serong as they're all proven guns over multiple seasons. Jai has only had the one stand out season so far. I don't think the 22 under 22 side is explicitly just based on the current season.

Fan vote. Media hype plays a massive part in the selection of this side.

True. But still, comfortable for him to be rated behind those I listed for a inside midfield spot.

Yes, and also very much to do with where clubs sit on the ladder. Richmond is the only team making the 8 that hasn't got a player in the best 22 under 22. All the bottom sides from Hawthorn's position down, have none.

I'm disappointed for Jai as I do think he deserves the recognition but we know he's a gun and so do many seasoned footy commentators and analysts.

Yes, and also very much to do with where clubs sit on the ladder. Richmond is the only team making the 8 that hasn't got a player in the best 22 under 22. All the bottom sides from Hawthorn's position down, have none.

I'm disappointed for Jai as I do think he deserves the recognition but we know he's a gun and so do many seasoned footy commentators and analysts.

Yep... We've been off Broadway given our ladder position this year, so it was always going to be tough with a fan vote.

Cerra being eligible for a wing position, whilst Smith wasn't is odd... that certainly didn't help.

Anyone else ever played around with AI generated articles?

View attachment 1488129

They're genuinely funny - most of the time the script just runs a thesaurus over the story and change most of the words. It comes up with some hilariously inane articles as a result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shouldn't be behind De Koning but you just know it will happen.
De Koning has had a huge year. Could go either way but with the cats finishing on top he will get it. I could see him beating Daicos if his name wasn’t already engraved.

Bloody annoying they picked him up.

He'll come 3rd in the rising star and that's where he deserves to finish.

Dance Reaction GIF by VfL Wolfsburg

After a barnstorming last few weeks, Jai ended up here (amongst rising star eligible, not just nominated, players):

1st I50s - 90 (Nick Daicos second on 60)
1st Goal Assists - 16 (Corey Durdin second on 13)
1st Tackles - 101 (Finn second on 57)
1st Contested Possessions - 201 (JHF second on 142)
1st Centre Clearances - 33 (JHF second on 19)
1st Clearances - 85 (JHF second on 58)
1st Average Metres Gained - 435pg (Daicos second on 407)
1st Score Involvements - 119 (Nic Martin second on 118)
2nd Disposals - 497 (Daicos first with 571)

Also according to the coaches:

PositionName (Club)Sum of Votes
24Jai Newcombe (HAW)44
53Nick Daicos (COLL)30
97Sam De Koning (GEEL)21
188Nick Martin (ESS)10

Also according to CD Player Ratings:

PositionName (Club)Average RatingNote
MidJai Newcombe (HAW)
12.5​
Highest average rating for a rising star nominee ever (Marcus Bontempelli 2nd in 2014 on 11.7)
DefNick Daicos (COLL)
10.2​
Key defSam De Koning (GEEL)
8.8​

Stats Insider Ratings:

PositionName (Club)Rating
MidJai Newcombe (HAW)
91.4​
DefNick Daicos (COLL)
86.7​
Key defSam De Koning (GEEL)
86.2​

Last edited:
Those are an impressive group of stats. But he’s a midfielder going against a HBF and a key defender. When pretty much all of those stats favour being a midfielder.

Saying that he’s had a wonderful year. And it really doesn’t matter where he finishes. All that matters is that we found a player.

Those are an impressive group of stats. But he’s a midfielder going against a HBF and a key defender. When pretty much all of those stats favour being a midfielder.

Saying that he’s had a wonderful year. And it really doesn’t matter where he finishes. All that matters is that we found a player.
Champion Data and Stats Insider player ratings use a formula to decide the impact of a player. The formulas are as close to positionally agnostic as you can get (hence them occasionally throwing out a really strange elite player) and Newc is a considerable margin ahead in both.

I agree that it doesn't matter where he finishes, couldn't give a s**t if he misses the rising star - I do have an issue when someone says he deserves to finish third. Particularly a Hawks supporter.

Champion Data and Stats Insider player ratings use a formula to decide the impact of a player. The formulas are as close to positionally agnostic as you can get (hence them occasionally throwing out a really strange elite player) and Newc is a considerable margin ahead in both.

I agree that it doesn't matter where he finishes, couldn't give a s**t if he misses the rising star - I do have an issue when someone says he deserves to finish third. Particularly a Hawks supporter.

He won't be winning it mate, so it's good you don't care who wins it. Won't have to listen to a melt from you despite all those agenda driven metrics.

He won't be winning it mate, so it's good you don't care who wins it. Won't have to listen to a melt from you despite all those agenda driven metrics.
Agenda driven metrics, or just... metrics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back