Recommitted Jack Graham [staying]

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he'd be about last man in if he's best 22
Reckon if I was him I'd give it one more crack at it , as this is his last year of the contract I believe. If ya not a regular thru the year then pull the pin at end of 23 and seek better opportunities. If he is offered big money to move that may change things.

He already doesn't play midfield. So not much would change.

There is a spot for him as the defensive hff if he wants it. Depending on the development of the young players around him.

Lambert and edwards leaves a hole imho.

Hardwick and cotchin love him too.

If he does go I wish him the best and expect he will do very well. Has a unique position in tigers folklore. Feels a bit odd he's only 24 years old
If he doesn’t play midfield what position does he play?

Seems to be some debate from your own supporters as to whether he is in the best 22 anymore.
He’d be starting midfield for Port round 1 2023 if he were on your list. He’s a better player then Drew and would likely be a nice replacement for Boak when he retires.

He’s contracted for two years, if you want him you’ll be paying overs to get him.

If that’s the case then he’s worth even less than people think
Even if he went to Port he’d be 14-20
Not worth a Power second rounder imo

Tbf Richmond have won three flags recently and are getting half the giants, highly rated, midfield.

Richmond having a decent list doesn't lessen graham and keeping him certainly isn't the worse idea

He mostly plays defensive forward and runs around a lot in a very lovable way.

Graham doesn't often start at the centre bounce iirc which you argue is a mistake by dimma
Too similar to Prestia and just as quick so would understand why you don’t need him.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you offload him just to ease abit of cash, he’s been a good servant of your club
Not try and get the highest price of 30, he’s worth more than 40 but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what he went for

He’d be starting midfield for Port round 1 2023 if he were on your list. He’s a better player then Drew and would likely be a nice replacement for Boak when he retires.

He’s contracted for two years, if you want him you’ll be paying overs to get him.

1 more year :(

He seems to hate south Australia though :)

No, no, no and no.

Butters, Rozee, Wines and I would have Drew in front of him as the tagger
Which he does a fairly good job at

Tbf Richmond have won three flags recently and are getting half the giants, highly rated, midfield.

Richmond having a decent list doesn't lessen graham and keeping him certainly isn't the worse idea
I for one don’t agree your getting 2 highly rated mids.
I think Hopper is only better than Graham because of his speed.
Never wanted Hopper and happy to pass,

Taranto on the other hand is an A grade midfield who only had a poor year due to a back injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be some debate from your own supporters as to whether he is in the best 22 anymore.

He will be borderline. He is competing with Baker, Short, Cotchin, Sonsie and Ross for a couple of spots on the bench (if we get both Hopper and Taranto)

Good problem to have.

If he doesn’t play midfield what position does he play?

He is a high half forward. If you ever watch Lambert play for us it’s effectively the same position. Pinch hit in the midfield, start at half forward and rotate with Bolton/Dusty into a defensive position to cover their forward running, as well as apply very good pressure (I’d say elite in the comp) on opposition ball carriers. Then when we break fast be part of the wave coming through.

He is a great role player, will do his job every week and play 200 games of AFL football. I’d rather keep him but understand if he wanted to move for more guaranteed game time.

He will be borderline. He is competing with Baker, Short, Cotchin, Sonsie and Ross for a couple of spots on the bench (if we get both Hopper and Taranto)

Good problem to have.

He is a high half forward. If you ever watch Lambert play for us it’s effectively the same position. Pinch hit in the midfield, start at half forward and rotate with Bolton/Dusty into a defensive position to cover their forward running, as well as apply very good pressure (I’d say elite in the comp) on opposition ball carriers. Then when we break fast be part of the wave coming through.

He is a great role player, will do his job every week and play 200 games of AFL football. I’d rather keep him but understand if he wanted to move for more guaranteed game time.
Up to him by the sounds of it as to whether he wants to be a role player and marginal 22. Purchased farm recently, might just be content hanging in there being backup.

That's nice and all, but in terms centre-square midfielders, I'd have him at least behind: Laird, Keays, McCluggage, Neale, Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Cerra, Crisp, De Goey, Adams, Pendlebury, Parish, Merrett, Andrew Brayshaw, Serong, Brodie, Guthrie, Dangerfield, Selwood, Atkins, Anderson, Miller, Rowell, Kelly, Hopper, Taranto, Green, Newcombe, Mitchell, O'Meara, Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Angus Brayshaw, Davies-Uniacke, Wines, Boak, Rozee, Cotchin, Martin, Bolton, Prestia, Steele, Crouch, Mills, Warner, Parker, Rowbottom, Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley and Smith.

So there's a reasonable argument that there's more than 50 midfielders league-wide who are better and/or more valuable than Graham. Pick 35 is pretty fair IMO.

50 divided by 18 sides is 2.7…
A premiership side needs 3-4 elite mids…
That puts Graham in that bracket…
A gut running proven performer in finals and grand finals.

Pick 35 is a bargain … so let me get this straight .. we are setting up midfield of Prestia Tarranto and Hopper but then trade out Graham.

We ain’t that stupid. Surely !

My money is on Graham staying

Up to him by the sounds of it as to whether he wants to be a role player and marginal 22. Purchased farm recently, might just be content hanging in there being backup.

100% up to him. But as I said earlier in the thread, you’d probably have to up his wage and security to get him to move, as he seems pretty loyal. Then your talking about 5-600k wage, which in my book should be a trade for a pick in the 20s.

I don’t watch enough port to comment on your 22, but I do believe Jack is a best 22 AFL player, but like with a Lipinski you just might not be that at your club because of a surplus of similar types of players. And I think your supporters would come to appreciate what he brings if he plays for you.

100% up to him. But as I said earlier in the thread, you’d probably have to up his wage and security to get him to move, as he seems pretty loyal. Then your talking about 5-600k wage, which in my book should be a trade for a pick in the 20s.

I don’t watch enough port to comment on your 22, but I do believe Jack is a best 22 AFL player, but like with a Lipinski you just might not be that at your club because of a surplus of similar types of players. And I think your supporters would come to appreciate what he brings if he plays for you.
Mixed feelings as to whether he is a real need for us. Most of the talk is media spec because of the SA link, reckon he stays for the contract length.

Too similar to Prestia and just as quick so would understand why you don’t need him.
I wouldn’t be surprised if you offload him just to ease abit of cash, he’s been a good servant of your club
Not try and get the highest price of 30, he’s worth more than 40 but wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what he went for

Graham is a completely different player to Prestia. Prestia should be spoken as 1 of the best all round mids in the game, but because of our style, we don't value the cheap possessions that others get that help to pad their stats from 25 a game to 30 a game.

Graham is a defensive minded mid / hhf that plays a selfless role for the team, to allow the more flamboyant players to worry less about the defensive side and more on how they can hurt the opposition.

Graham is a completely different player to Prestia. Prestia should be spoken as 1 of the best all round mids in the game, but because of our style, we don't value the cheap possessions that others get that help to pad their stats from 25 a game to 30 a game.

Graham is a defensive minded mid / hhf that plays a selfless role for the team, to allow the more flamboyant players to worry less about the defensive side and more on how they can hurt the opposition.
I compared Graham to Prestia if he played FT mid
Not how they currently both play

Yeah there’s a spot for him playing the Lambert role. High half forward with stints around the ball and up forward.

Reading thru the last couple of pages it’s obvious that many oppo supporters haven’t really seen Grahams role in the side and the way he plays.

As a pure contested mid (which he has rarely played), he will do well around the contest, but is slow in transition. Gets to a lot of contests though, which is testament to his endurance (and why he’s suited to take on Lamberts running role).

Personally this Graham availability smacks of lets get a rumour out there and see if we can snag a sucker. And there's no bigger suckers than us for a s**t trade where we overpay. Colonel Klinkley is desperate to bring in new players to get himself an extension and if he cripples the club for 5 years that's the price he's prepared to pay. Even worse if we get into a bidding war with the Crom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back