Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly you've not read previous comments. I actually think your team playing in MCG is an advantage, it's your second home ground.
A bit too simplistic a view.

After winning the 2011 grand final we've embarked on a decade long mission to succeed while topping up and for most of that period have been a contender but not the standout team.

2012-2019 (pre-covid).

Screenshot 2022-10-17 173145.jpg

27 wins. 25 defeats.

During/after covid we've made a GF. Made a PF where we were an after the siren goal away from minor premiers. And then won a grand final.

Screenshot 2022-10-17 173006.jpg

12 wins. 2 defeats.

You could argue strongly that the upturn in performance in recent seasons is down to becoming the premier team of the comp. Rather than one of the contenders. Difference between being the team to beat v the gatekeeper.
I actually think we have many unfair advantages as well, that mostly stem from F/S and Free Agency.
Father son and free agency aren't advantages. All clubs have access.
Only the difference is, Geelong is a nicer place to live so players want to get there more often, also a football loving city, and about 80% of em support their own club, huge advantages in that tbh. But yeah, check your privilege i guess 👏
Every club has its points of difference that can be advantageous in recruiting certain players.
Again not an advantage.

We didn’t lose to Geelong. You aren’t understanding what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
By "we" do you mean the Richmond football club? Because if you do then "you" and 16 other teams all lost to Geelong who won the Flag this season. If "you" hadn't lost the Flag to Geelong "you" would be Premiers, but "you" are not Premiers. "You" lost, Geelong won.

By "we" do you mean the Richmond football club? Because if you do then "you" and 16 other teams all lost to Geelong who won the Flag this season. If "you" hadn't lost the Flag to Geelong "you" would be Premiers, but "you" are not Premiers. "You" lost, Geelong won.

You like to disregard common sense don’t you. You know I meant you didn’t beat us in a final this season and are making technicalities to sound smart or something. It’s just cringe, you’re a grown man ffs not 12.

You like to disregard common sense don’t you. You know I meant you didn’t beat us in a final this season and are making technicalities to sound smart or something. It’s just cringe, you’re a grown man ffs not 12.

Hmmm.. see, I think it is common sense. Someone said this thread is full of sore-loser Richmond supporters to which you said “we didn’t lose to Geelong”. Putting it in context, “you” did lose the Flag to Geelong (along with 16 other teams) so the thread can be full of sore-loser Richmond supporters. You are right about most of this thread being cringe though, but don’t let that stop you.

A bit too simplistic a view.

After winning the 2011 grand final we've embarked on a decade long mission to succeed while topping up and for most of that period have been a contender but not the standout team.

2012-2019 (pre-covid).

View attachment 1538228

27 wins. 25 defeats.

During/after covid we've made a GF. Made a PF where we were an after the siren goal away from minor premiers. And then won a grand final.

View attachment 1538231

12 wins. 2 defeats.

You could argue strongly that the upturn in performance in recent seasons is down to becoming the premier team of the comp. Rather than one of the contenders. Difference between being the team to beat v the gatekeeper.

Father son and free agency aren't advantages. All clubs have access.

Every club has its points of difference that can be advantageous in recruiting certain players.
Again not an advantage.

F/S certainly does have advantages. As it's a complete genetic lottery of which some teams are way more fortunate than others.
Free Agency is an advantage because many teams prefer to play in the cities of teams of which they weren't drafted and it's most commonly Victoria based clubs. And it also takes away all the power from teams. So what do these FAs do? s**t, Geelong is doing alright over there. Might just go over and try and get a easy (Kevin Durant Worthy) premiership.

God, I swear you guys can't see your hand beyond your face unless it has your logo placed on it.
You allow your irrational support for your club to cloud any reality or objectiveness.

Well that thought is moronic. Maybe you should change it. How in any way is playing in front of your oppositions fan base (which has been statisitcally proven to influence umpires), having to travel further then your opponent and playing on a ground you have less familiarity with then your opponent suddenly your home advantage and not your opponents?

change your view. Its ridiculous.

Typical. Another Geelong fan calling someone moronic when they are incapable of comprehending anything even remotely factual.
Nothing ridiculous about it. What other clubs get to practice on the MCG more than just about any other club minus the ones who actually call it home? The answer? "Geelong" "Geelong" "Geelong" Meanwhile no other club gets to practice on the AFL Grand Final venue. But again... Geelong, who complain about it being their "home games" smh.

The advantages are obvious, from being able to deal with the noise of a AFL grand final by playing in front of the biggest crowds in the game. Get to acclimate your players to aggressive crowds. And don't give me that umpire garbage. The umpires are so completely devoid of ability that they will just advantage whoever the * they feel like on the night, and i can tell you now. Last season it was pretty much all Geelong getting that edge.

Now. Feel free to reply, but do try and not come off like a school yard bully who has been stunned by someones elses oratory skills so you revert to name calling or violence. That's pretty much how everyone minus GFC fans are envisioning you right now my friend.

Do better.

Typical. Another Geelong fan calling someone moronic when they are incapable of comprehending anything even remotely factual.
Nothing ridiculous about it. What other clubs get to practice on the MCG more than just about any other club minus the ones who actually call it home? The answer? "Geelong" "Geelong" "Geelong" Meanwhile no other club gets to practice on the AFL Grand Final venue. But again... Geelong, who complain about it being their "home games" smh.

The advantages are obvious, from being able to deal with the noise of a AFL grand final by playing in front of the biggest crowds in the game. Get to acclimate your players to aggressive crowds. And don't give me that umpire garbage. The umpires are so completely devoid of ability that they will just advantage whoever the * they feel like on the night, and i can tell you now. Last season it was pretty much all Geelong getting that edge.

Now. Feel free to reply, but do try and not come off like a school yard bully who has been stunned by someones elses oratory skills so you revert to name calling or violence. That's pretty much how everyone minus GFC fans are envisioning you right now my friend.

Do better.
this is full off-season nuff

Geelong gets to practice on the MCG? lol

this is full off-season nuff

Geelong gets to practice on the MCG? lol

Ah, I see you are finally given in. Perhaps some time for self reflection now.
In time, with patience and perhaps meditation. You might come to grips with your clubs privilege. I know I have with my own.
If you need help coming to grips with any of it, My DM's are open to you. Best wishes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

F/S certainly does have advantages. As it's a complete genetic lottery of which some teams are way more fortunate than others.
So a lottery like... The draft.
Free Agency is an advantage because many teams prefer to play in the cities of teams of which they weren't drafted and it's most commonly Victoria based clubs.
FA over time will prove to be cyclical because success and rebuild phases are also cyclical.
Since 2000. 15/18 have made a GF. 11/18 have won a flag. 17/18 have finished bottom 4.
God, I swear you guys can't see your hand beyond your face unless it has your logo placed on it.
You allow your irrational support for your club to cloud any reality or objectiveness.
Because we're rationally disputing your arguments.
That's allowed on a message board without degenerating into pettiness.

So a lottery like... The draft.

FA over time will prove to be cyclical because success and rebuild phases are also cyclical.
Since 2000. 15/18 have made a GF. 11/18 have won a flag. 17/18 have finished bottom 4.

Because we're rationally disputing your arguments.
That's allowed on a message board without degenerating into pettiness.

lol, you haven't disproved one thing. none of you have lol, insulting someone isn't rationality lol it's the opposite my poor lost kitten.
You do realize the only dudes disputing any of this is GFC fans lol
Trust me. I know I'm 100% correct on this. So it's just flatly amusing to me now.

lol.. you called the draft a lottery.... bro you better go do some reading lol. That's not what the draft is.
Your opinion is wildly optimistic and incredibly biased, sadly.

I mean you just keep saying such ludicrous things ☠️
Grasping at straws at this point.

(Do continue though please, i've not laughed this hard for so long)

This is getting to ridiculous levels of sycophancy now. They have one flag, lets settle down.

They have traded away most of their youth over the past few years and bravely gone all in for a flag. Credit to them they built a team perfect for finals with mature, hard bodies and smashed it. I think most cats fans would admit they would have liked another one or two over the past couple of years though and while they may sneak one more next year, like other recent teams who have gone into a GF with a very old side (Haw 15, WCE 18), it ends hard.

In 3/4 years Geelong will be without Danger, Cameron, Guthrie, Stewart, Bews, Rohan, Hawkins, Blicavs, Duncan, Smith, Tuohy, Stanley, Ceglar and Menegola. All bar the last 3 would be in their top dozen players. Not withstanding the loss of Selwood.

They have swapped Stephens for Bruhn at the cost of a 1st rd pick, both are unproven prospects. They have the Henry boys, SDK, pick 7, Holmes and Bruhn as their potential top end young talent and aside from pick 7, they have basically traded out of the next two drafts. Their best player in the 24-28 bracket is Tom Atkins

Im happy to give Geelong the credit they deserve for an outstanding season and a dominant GF, but Im not scared of them becoming 'too powerful'.
Weren’t you saying the same thing in the 2011 offseason

I have a genuine question about Geelong’s home ground. Cats supporters all like to say it’s not their fault other sides gave up their home grounds. That’s not quite how I remember it. I don’t think any club (except Richmond in 1965) willingly gave up their grounds. I’m pretty sure the AFL told clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Bulldogs etc that they wouldn’t be given any funding for improvements and even if they found their own funding, no matches would be scheduled on those grounds. Thus, effectively forcing them out.

My question therefore is how did Geelong avoid this scenario? It’s all very well to say Geelong refused to go but let’s face it, if the AFL wants something to happen, it’ll happen. Can anyone enlighten me?
How did Geelong avoid this scenario?

Where other clubs have put any profits they have made into developing state-of-the-art training precincts for their own use, Geelong has placed all of its earnings into an asset the club doesn’t even own in Kardinia Park.
How many other clubs have put their money into upgrading the ground in which they play?

Last edited:
Hmmm.. see, I think it is common sense. Someone said this thread is full of sore-loser Richmond supporters to which you said “we didn’t lose to Geelong”. Putting it in context, “you” did lose the Flag to Geelong (along with 16 other teams) so the thread can be full of sore-loser Richmond supporters. You are right about most of this thread being cringe though, but don’t let that stop you.

We didn’t lose to you in a final so we don’t care that you won because you did not effect us winning the flag. Pretty simple. But you go on ahead thinking that we are jealous (even though we have 3 more flags than you) to cope.

Make no mistake this flag does not make up for your demolitions against hawks and us. You’ll have to take a flag off us to do that. Case closed, enjoy the flag while you can it could be the last for a while.

Trust me. I know I'm 100% correct on this. So it's just flatly amusing to me now.
So we can tick the arrogance box too.
lol.. you called the draft a lottery.... bro you better go do some reading lol. That's not what the draft is.
Your opinion is wildly optimistic and incredibly biased, sadly.
Of course it is. We're all drafting players off underage potential with no guarantees they'll be successful. Bit different to trading for Judd in his prime or Tom Mitchell etc. The draft is the first gamble clubs take on players.
lol, you haven't disproved one thing. none of you have lol, insulting someone isn't rationality lol it's the opposite my poor lost kitten.
You've hardly proven anything. Father/Son system is advantageous cos.... Reasons. Despite all clubs barring our two newest entrants having access to it.
So at worst it is disadvantageous to 2 new franchises and perfectly fair for the other 16 clubs.

Free Agency like trades are open to all clubs but advantageous cos... Reasons.

Do better.
If Geelong played 11 home games and every home final (bar the Grand Final) in Geelong, you'd be one of the first blokes on the blower saying how it's a disgrace that a big final would be played in Geelong because it denies so many fans entry to the game.

You can try and spin in however you like, but if your argument is that Geelong is advantaged by being forced to play at the MCG during the H&A season against Hawthorn/Collingwood/Richmond, then you must also acknowledge whilst asking yourself, "why is Geelong actively resisting such an inherent advantage?"

You do realise that Geelong wants to play all of its home games during the season at GMHBA stadium, and, if it were possible all of its home finals (barring the Grand Final) there, too? So, why is it that Geelong doesn't see this advantage like you do?

I'm not going to argue that there's absolutely no merit in playing more games at the MCG doesn't help prepare a side to play there. However, if that was the case, Geelong may as well just shut down GMHBA and request all home games be played at the MCG.

Where I think you're going wrong with your argument is that that you're insinuating that all these advantages are a by-product of a concerted effort just to advantage Geelong. You're not without peer, as there's a large contingent of tinfoil hat wearers who espouse conspiracy theories.

At the end of the day, no two clubs are going to be even. That is why there are equalisation measures in place. Those measures don't guarantee equal performances by all, but what they attempt to do is assist struggling clubs get back to a position where they can be competitive.

These measures never guarantee success, however. Just like affirmative action doesn't guarantee that a societally disadvantaged group or individual will take advantage of initiatives designed to bridge a gap of inequality, nor do earlier (and in some cases additional) draft picks assure a club will rise above the poverty line.

In the same sense, those who benoan the rich getting richer - just like those earning more money pay more taxes (a responsible society does this) - every now and then, those who are paying a lot more tax will take advantage of anything which will enable them to legally reduce their taxable income.

Geelong has done exactly this with the Bowes trade.

I’m talking about the flag. That’s what we’ve been doing for 3 threads now. Get with the program.

So you admit to derailing 3 threads for your single minded process of trolling.

Thank you.

Good night.

GO Catters

In time, with patience and perhaps meditation. You might come to grips with your clubs privilege. I know I have with my own.
If you need help coming to grips with any of it, My DM's are open to you. Best wishes.
Maybe you can come to grips with the fact Geelong got what it deserved and plays where it should. Your 'facts' are nothing but false, salty, ignorant rubbish.

How did Geelong avoid this scenario?

Where other clubs have put any profits they have made into developing state of the art training precincts for their own use, Geelong has placed all of its profits into an assist the club doesn’t even own in Kardinia Park.
How many other clubs have put their own money into the upgrade of the ground in which they play?

I think you’ll find the state government (taxpayers) put in many millions of dollars also, more than once. Geelong didn’t pay for it all.

You should be a politician, that is pro level deflection

We didn’t lose to you in a final so we don’t care that you won because you did not effect us winning the flag. Pretty simple.
lol Richmond didn't win the flag this year mate. Are you OK?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back