Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 2nd Test 17-21 Feb, 1430hrs at Delhi

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading earlier that we need to get at least 1 draw this series to guarantee a place in the WTC final, seems vital we be bold in selection and park the ******* sweep a little bit.

I'd love to see us address the glaring issue of Jadeja/Ashwin/Patel being the main difference so far in the series. If I was selector, I'd double down and make our tail stronger and bring in a bowler (Starc) who can go after their tail.

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Head
7. Green
8. Carey
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Murphy

... this assumes Cummins doesn't come back for the third test.

Reading earlier that we need to get at least 1 draw this series to guarantee a place in the WTC final, seems vital we be bold in selection and park the ******* sweep a little bit.

I'd love to see us address the glaring issue of Jadeja/Ashwin/Patel being the main difference so far in the series. If I was selector, I'd double down and make our tail stronger and bring in a bowler (Starc) who can go after their tail.

1. Khawaja
2. Renshaw
3. Labuschagne
4. Smith
5. Handscomb
6. Head
7. Green
8. Carey
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Murphy

... this assumes Cummins doesn't come back for the third test.
I don't mind that but I would rather head open for these last two tests ...thought he batted well for his 40 odd

and cummins will be coming back

Given the first two tests didn't make it to tea on day 3, chasing a draw might actually be harder than snagging a win?

Chasing a draw means the side actually has to bat for 100+ overs and do you trust this lineup? They have been dead struggling to last 30!

+1 for Bancroft here. He looks much better these days.

Another + for me is that he's an unbelievable bat-pad/short leg. Probably the best in the world. A catch he took the 1st Ashes test in England last was clutch and turned the game. So at worst he'll contribute in the field as opposed to Renshaw who loves bat pad but doesn't look like he's ever going to take a catch, would rather just crawl all over the pitch and be a nuisance.

Given the first two tests didn't make it to tea on day 3, chasing a draw might actually be harder than snagging a win?

When India really first started rolling these pitches out, and to be fair they went too far because they were worse than the ones we’ve seen, it was against SA 7 years ago when they hadn’t lost anywhere bar two home series to Australia for 12 years.

After 2-3 tests (can’t remember which) SA conceded they couldn’t actually win and set out in the final innings of the last test to salvage a draw - they had to survive 150 I think and they had Elgar, ABDV, Amla and Du Plessis - some real bona fide limpets when they wanted to be.

They made 134 I think of 136 overs? They could not have tried harder to just bat and bat and bat and even THEY couldn’t do it. No current team would have a hope in hell of managing it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we run a bracket on voting on the most embarassing Australian cricket moments of the last decade?
Contenders off the top of my head:
Sweepgate
Trent Bridge 60
Destruction for sub 100 by South Africa last time they were out
England 0/150 in response to 98 all out on Boxing Day (followed by sprinkler at conclusion of the test)
47 All out
Headingley 2019
Losing 3-0 to Sri Lanka 2016
Homeworkgate India 2014
Bowled out for 112 chasing 188 India 2nd test
Various UAE debacles vs Pakistan (including Misbah Ul-Haq setting world's fastest test century)

India beating us at home with C grade team members like Shardul Thakur

No question for me, Sandpapergate.

The others are just bad performances that the team moved on from. We are still dealing with the fallout from Sandpapergate.

It was ridiculous that people were considering him at all but Maxwell proved his case today by injuring himself in the slips on a ball edged to him (that he was too far back to catch) and then getting out 2nd ball.
He's not even Victoria's 3rd best batter at the moment.

Having applied my enormous intellect to this issue over the last 24 hours I have come to the conclusion that it is not worth in bringing any replacements in from Australia - except returning Cummins and Swepson.

Nobody would probably do any better. Ussie, Smith, Head and Marnus are our four best batsmen, Cummins, Starc and Lyon are our best bowlers and Carey, for all of his silly batting is our best pure keeper. Hopefully all these players have recieved a solid reality check.

I think the team for the 3rd Test picks itself. Cam in for Warner and Starc for Kuhnemann.

It was ridiculous that people were considering him at all but Maxwell proved his case today by injuring himself in the slips on a ball edged to him (that he was too far back to catch) and then getting out 2nd ball.

But he sweeps! And he reverse sweeps! It's right on brand.

Part of me thinks why not treat the remaining tests like an A team tour and send some promising youngsters to get a feel for the conditions for the future.

CA obviously never cared about this series and BCCI doesn’t now they’ve won, so why not treat it as a practice?

Hundred for inglis today
And 1 for Bancroft.
It was a pretty reckless shot for second ball faced too.

And 1 for Bancroft.

It was a pretty reckless shot for second ball faced too.
No chance Maxwell is being choppered in to India. Bancroft has already failed in England during an Ashes series. That said, so has Warner. I would prefer they take a rookie (choose your own adventure) to open with Khawaja. (Who hasn't set the world on fire against Broad and Anderson either! Add Wood and Archer)

We are about to embark upon a period of transition so we need to exit a veteran or two. Candice will be angry but Warner must be 1st cab off the rank!

Back