Review West Coast vs Port Adelaide - Trial Match 1 @ Lathlain

Remove this Banner Ad

So we lost two games to west coast lol. Jesus flipping Christ we are in for a long season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I took out of that that JHF is better then advertised and I thought he was. Thought he was our best player on the ground and he's not fit yet. Was good to see someone who can actually use the footy properly.

Thought Burgoyne was great and looks like he could go up a level this year. Didn't mind Lachie Jones on the ball for his mongrel and tackling, Viscenti showed some promise, same with Teakle in the ruck.

I'm not expecting us to make the 8 this year, not with Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane, Collingwood, Fremantle, Sydney, Richmond and the Bulldogs all clearly better sides then us, and have better structures and set ups in use.

Our problem for me is the senior players. They make the same mistakes no matter it a practice game, a home & away game or a final and that won't change this late in their careers. You can see that every year. I don't think we make the leap back into contention until Rozee, Butters, JHF and co become the senior players.

Game plan wise I expected nothing new not with Hinkley so this year as I've stated earlier in another thread all I'm interested in is seeing JHF and the young players develop. If we are better then I'm expecting then that's a bonus but this side isn't a contender for me so I've adjusted my expectations until there's change at the club.
Great summation based on what I saw tonight; preseason games I tend to largely ignore, but the glaring thing for me is the senior group not executing like senior player should.

Im in the need change camp. But its out of my control, so I love my club that much, its my passion. I'm not going to forcefully bag the football club I love so much in front of other Port people.
My grandsons play football, and more often than not they are shite. My youngest can go a whole game without even touching leather, he does a bit of gardening.
Do you think I bag them? Nope. I give advice and critism, but not the crap our Port boys cop here.

One day they will click and make me super proud. When that day comes its time to pop a champagne bottle.
Anyone here that abuses our young lads that is uncalled for, not welcome to join in celebrations.

Yes I want a new coach, in the mean time stop this negative b shite. This is Port Adelaide. Were in a hole. Its out of your control.
No need to get ya vagina in twist. This is big footy. Where the most vile cretins congregate to be utter campaigners, cos sometimes it feels good to be an ********. The great gift to humanity that is the internet.

My favourite part is that when the game is close in the final minutes we still revert back to panic kicking it down the line. Even in a trial match
Only player with composure in the last two passages was JHF because he hasn't been completely Hinklified yet

Not great but saw some occasional good thinks and It's not the train wreck that you could see coming at this time last year ....yet.

It's the fact that you could describe this game exactly the same as most others in the last number of Hinkley years...

Poor skills, bad kicking for goal , long periods when we trapped the ball on with our forwards running like buggery to get back.

Three goals up with some time to go ... last minute goal was there a scoreless quarter?.

It's only a pre season game,.... it's only a small number of noisy supporters..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You want the honest answer? We have fit players now compared to last year and have handed the midfield to our elite youth.

We were crap last year but our was over season before Rozee was a midfielder, before Dixon was fit to play, while Aliir was injured etc. Remember that we lost 7 games by under 2 goals - we don't need a lot of improvement to actually turn 11th into top 4.

We need a lot of improvement to play an attractive brand of footy - but we don't actually need that to win games (see 2020/21).

Aliir only missed 3 games last year. The team record after Rozee was put into the middle was only 10-7, and the 12 games Dixon played last year the team went 6-6. It as not as if the Club ever had a period last year where they looked like a top 4 side. In fact, if you look at last year's ladder Port were a full 6 wins away from the top 4 whilst only being 3 wins away from the bottom 4.

Since 2013 (ie Hinkley's tenure) Port Adelaide have the second worst win rate in games decided by 2 goals or less. In the same period of time no team has lost more games by 2 goals or less than Port Adelaide. So please spare me and everyone else the false optimism thinking that this luck the team didn't have last year is going to magically turn around, because what we saw last year was not an anomaly but rather it is the trend of the past decade under Hinkley.

Aliir only missed 3 games last year. The team record after Rozee was put into the middle was only 10-7, and the 12 games Dixon played last year the team went 6-6. It as not as if the Club ever had a period last year where they looked like a top 4 side. In fact, if you look at last year's ladder Port were a full 6 wins away from the top 4 whilst only being 3 wins away from the bottom 4.

Since 2013 (ie Hinkley's tenure) Port Adelaide have the second worst win rate in games decided by 2 goals or less. In the same period of time no team has lost more games by 2 goals or less than Port Adelaide. So please spare me and everyone else the false optimism thinking that this luck the team didn't have last year is going to magically turn around, because what we saw last year was not an anomaly but rather it is the trend of the past decade under Hinkley.
Love the level of mandella effect that permeates the supporter base regarding shit like this.

'This player missed most the year'

No, they just sucked shit for most of the year

I’m not so sure about your conclusion on the 2 goal and under loss stat.

Recent years that we went well eg 2020/21, we went 7-1 in 2 goal games.

or since 2013 taking the 2 goals or more result flip side, we are 117-70 or something like that for the same period.
is that a trend that we should also pay attention to?

We are a team that should have taken at least 1, maybe 2 flags, out of the 2014, 2020, 2021 seasons.
We just didn’t get there. Beaten in QFs by great 3 flag teams in 14 and 20 by a kick. 21 we shat the bed.

its time for a change of coach, simply because it’s time. Not because he’s been bad, but because we havent won.

I’m not so sure about your conclusion on the 2 goal and under loss stat.

Recent years that we went well eg 2020/21, we went 7-1 in 2 goal games.

or since 2013 taking the 2 goals or more result flip side, we are 117-70 or something like that for the same period.
is that a trend that we should also pay attention to?

We are a team that should have taken at least 1, maybe 2 flags, out of the 2014, 2020, 2021 seasons.
We just didn’t get there. Beaten in QFs by great 3 flag teams in 14 and 20 by a kick. 21 we shat the bed.

its time for a change of coach, simply because it’s time. Not because he’s been bad, but because we havent won.

2020 and 2021 were both covid affected years. Port adapted extremely well in those tough times, but even with those two exceptional years of close game performances, Port are still 2nd worse in the comp since 2013 in those types of games. It wasn't a surprise to me that in 2022 when life went back to normal for everyone that Port once again floundered in close games (among other things).

That 117-70 sounds great until you actually look at the games on individual merit and see how they perform in big games against top 8 sides. Under Hinkley they've consistently struggled against top 8 sides and relied on an easy fixture whereby they're doubling up against bottom 10 sides in order to have a decent shot at the finals. It's why I've also said if they make the finals this year with their draw they will have well and truly earned it.

The point I have consistently made about the close games - specifically the inability to win them on a consistent basis, is that it is imo due to a lack of want among the playing group which has trickled down from Hinkley's mentality of just being happy to be here. You're right, they need a new coach because they haven't won. And I believe that the reason they haven't won isn't due to a lack of talent among the playing group but rather a coach who isn't ruthless enough to want to win at the highest level.

Thought Farrell was decent in first half
Nails one of those 2 early shots on goal output looks better

d631a4fff1c7fad008d45bec72bb7122.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am mildly concerned after that. My reasons:

1. This is not the 1980s when teams had 5 trial games- we have 2
2. Last year we were 0-5 after 5- can’t afford anything like that this year
3. Tough draw- we must start switched on
4. We are fumbling a lot as a team- Internal trial and trial- this has to stop now. Do that against Brisbane and we’re stuffed
5. This requires work under match conditions and we have 1 left.

I know it was “only a trial”, but we now only have one chance to get it right.

Centre bounce setups:

Q1

1. Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Bergman, Duursma)
2. Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Jones, Duursma)
3. Teakle, Wines, Boak, Rozee (Drew, Bergman)
4. Lycett, Houston, Boak, Rozee (Duursma, Bergman)
5. Lycett, Wines, Boak, Rozee (Duursma, Bergman)

5 Rozee, 4 Bergman, 4 Duursma, 4 Lycett, 4 Wines, 3 Boak, 2 Horne-Francis, 1 Jones, 1 Houston, 1 Teakle

This is close to our R1 starting and secondary midfields.

Q2

6. Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Bergman, Duursma)
7. Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Bergman, Duursma)

This was when Boak got injured. Drew comes in to fill Boak's spot in the midfield (McEntee replaced Boak in the team).

8. Lycett, Powell-Pepper, Drew, Rozee (Bergman, Duursma)
9. Teakle, Wines, Powell-Pepper, Horne-Francis (Drew, Duursma)
10. Teakle, Wines, Drew, Rozee (Duursma, Bergman)
11. Lycett, Wines, Drew, Rozee (Duursma, Bergman)
12. Lycett, Powell-Pepper, Drew, Horne-Francis (Jones, Bergman)
13. Lycett, Powell-Pepper, Jones, Horne-Francis (Drew, Bergman)

7 Bergman, 6 Lycett, 6 Duursma, 5 Wines, 5 Rozee, 5 Drew, 5 Horne-Francis, 4 Powell-Pepper, 2 Jones, 2 Teakle

It's pretty clear our preferred starting wing is Bergman/Duursma and our starting mid is Lycett, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee. Bergman gets rested after half time cause he's being managed, and on comes Bonner.

Q3

14. Lycett, Drew, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Duursma, Bonner)
15. Lycett, Drew, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Duursma, Bonner)
16. Hayes, Wines, Jones, Horne-Francis (Drew, Bonner)
17. Hayes, Wines, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Bonner, Duursma)
18. Lycett, Jones, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Drew, Duursma)
19. Lycett, Jones, Horne-Francis, Rozee (Drew, Duursma)

6 Horne-Francis, 5 Drew, 5 Duursma, 5 Rozee, 4 Bonner, 4 Lycett, 3 Jones, 2 Wines, 2 Hayes

Q4

20. Teakle, Wines, Horne-Francis, Mead (Bonner, Duursma)
21. Teakle, Jones, Horne-Francis, Mead (Drew, Duursma)
22. Teakle, Jones, Horne-Francis, Mead (Drew, Duursma)
23. Hayes, Jones, Drew, Horne-Francis (Duursma, Bonner)
24. Hayes, Wines, Jones, Powell-Pepper (Drew, Bonner)
25. Teakle, Wines, Jones, Mead (Drew, Bonner)
26. Teakle, Wines, Drew, Horne-Francis (Duursma, Bonner)

6 Drew, 5 Teakle, 5 Jones, 5 Horne-Francis, 5 Duursma, 5 Bonner, 4 Wines, 4 Mead, 2 Hayes, 1 Powell-Pepper

TOTAL

20 Duursma (77%)
18 Horne-Francis (69%)

16 Drew (62%)
15 Rozee (58%)
15 Wines (58%)
14 Lycett (54%)
11 Bergman (42%)

11 Jones (42%)
9 Bonner (35%)
8 Teakle (31%)
5 Powell-Pepper (19%)
4 Mead (15%)
4 Hayes (15%)
3 Boak (12%)
1 Houston (4%)

Guys in bold are locks for R1. If Butters was available and Boak didn't go down, Drew and Jones wouldn't have got the same amount of opportunities - adding Zak gives us a 10 man midfield rotation. Reckon Jones, Drew and Mead will be the starting mids for the Magpies this year and battle it out the same way Moore, Young and Ah Chee did back in 2014.

Bassett said after the game that Dixon, Butters and Byrne-Jones will be playing in the next match. I thought we played pretty well all things considered - stuff to work on but nothing like the Gold Coast game from last year where it looked like no one could be arsed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back