Position 2023 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's thoughts on Jayden Hunt? 379k, has averaged 72.5 in the past. Best 22. Balls likely to be down that part of the ground. Is he an option to fit in which allows Ginbey to be d6?
1 good year the other 6 below 56 doesnt scream pick me. Good thing eagles will look for him due to his speed getting it out of there and ball will be back there alot. Bad thing in the praccy ball was down there alot and for a 9 mark game he only got a 61. Even without the 2 FA thats still only 67. Pick him if u dont have the cash to go day. He is better than chesser,wilmot,weddle with JS and scoring potential.

What's everyone's thoughts on Jayden Hunt? 379k, has averaged 72.5 in the past. Best 22. Balls likely to be down that part of the ground. Is he an option to fit in which allows Ginbey to be d6?
Awful player and likely an awful bloke.

Surely Ridley will be the guy in the middle all their switches go through?
The biggest worry is that Ridley plays as a key defender. As a 3rd tall that zones off like he did a few years ago, he'd average 85+ quite comfortably. It's more that our key defenders are shit so he has to play that 1st/2nd kpd role.

I’m intrigued as to why posters have mentioned not picking someone like Dawson due to his value? Maybe I look at it differently, but when picking up a player like Dawson, it’s not about his value, but because you think he’ll be a top scorer in his position and saving a trade later in the season..?

I’m intrigued as to why posters have mentioned not picking someone like Dawson due to his value? Maybe I look at it differently, but when picking up a player like Dawson, it’s not about his value, but because you think he’ll be a top scorer in his position and saving a trade later in the season..?
My issue with Dawson is that Adelaide have no one worth tagging except Dawson who is an easy target off HBF. The fact that he is captain puts more attention on him as a player.

He started receiving more attention in the 2nd half of last year and I would imagine it will continue as well.

My issue with Dawson is that Adelaide have no one worth tagging except Dawson who is an easy target off HBF. The fact that he is captain puts more attention on him as a player.

He started receiving more attention in the 2nd half of last year and I would imagine it will continue as well.

I think he averages 100 no worries. This wasn’t really about Dawson though. I just mean in general. A player like Dawson is picked to be a keeper, not for value.

He did cop attention back half of last year but still averaged 102 after the bye including a tagged last game for 67

Where are we sitting on Bowes? Look a million bucks in the first practice game. Has been training with the main group this week. Is it better to wait and see a week or take the chance for round 1 (presumably named)?

Where are we sitting on Bowes? Look a million bucks in the first practice game. Has been training with the main group this week. Is it better to wait and see a week or take the chance for round 1 (presumably named)?
wait and see, still cheap enough to get round 2

I think he averages 100 no worries. This wasn’t really about Dawson though. I just mean in general. A player like Dawson is picked to be a keeper, not for value.
The theory goes that even for keepers you ideally want to be picking all of your starting squad members priced below what you think they’ll score at. Not necessarily because you want trade value, but because it maximises your number of points on field for the dollars that you’re spending.

There are some exceptions to this - one is if you’re picking a clear captain option (which is why some are picking Laird) OR if you’re picking someone who is the clear number 1 in their position, with a decent gap to the next best (hence why many are picking Docherty). Dawson doesn’t fit either of those criteria. Don’t think he’ll be a bad pick at all, but people are just feeling that he’s unlikely to outscore his starting price to the same extent as some other premos elsewhere on their field.

OK... I currently have Doch, Ridley, Yeo, Collins, Constable, Ginbey (Wilmot, Chesser).

I don't see much talk about Collins, and I'm also looking at Brennan Cox.

Trying to find some cash to get better rookies.... my bench Is currently all 200k except Phillips. Have Ginbey, Ashcroft, Mackenzie, Cheezel and Davey onfield.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest worry is that Ridley plays as a key defender. As a 3rd tall that zones off like he did a few years ago, he'd average 85+ quite comfortably. It's more that our key defenders are s**t so he has to play that 1st/2nd kpd role.
Is McGrath a realistic possibility? Didn’t see the Essendon game, what was the role he had that allowed him to score 110?

Can Nick Haynes return to being a premium defender? Or is that role taken by Cumming now?

ive got 620k to spend on a def
its my weakest line. Thinking of dropping CC to a rook, but not sure who else to get in that spot???
need a hand here please

1678833373210.png

its my weakest line. Thinking of dropping CC to a rook, but not sure who else to get in that spot???
need a hand here please

View attachment 1629519
Chesser is the obvious $200k rookie you're missing, so one of Jones or drinkstable down to him gives you just over $740k to play with for that last defender. Or perhaps you could whack in Bowes (if named), bring in chesser and use the remaining cash elsewhere.

need a hand here please

View attachment 1629519
I was in a similar position (except I have Daicos at D2) and went Day at D4.

I think the trades early on in AFL Fantasy do allow you to go for a few early mid-pricers and cut them early if it doesn't work out.

Agree with the latter part of your post. The challenge is whether that ol chestnut of Milera taking some of his ball with Dawson playing more up the ground. I think once his role is confirmed, plenty more will buy into him - I know I will.

wait and see, still cheap enough to get round 2
Exactly, game evidence is always better than praccy hype. better to miss $30-50k but make a near certain $150-200, than to have to spend a valuable early trade for a sideways move.

OK... I currently have Doch, Ridley, Yeo, Collins, Constable, Ginbey (Wilmot, Chesser).

Trying to find some cash to get better rookies.... my bench Is currently all 200k except Phillips. Have Ginbey, Ashcroft, Mackenzie, Cheezel and Davey onfield.

Sam Collins? Thats a brave move.

Surely not this guy?

1678839181750.png

I need to check if you are in the Fantasy Draft league and make a few trade offers to you I think;)

That's Murdoch Ball thinking my friend. There are 50+ trades in Fantasy, you can start with 22 players who won't be in your team by the end if you need to.

That's Murdoch Ball thinking my friend. There are 50+ trades in Fantasy, you can start with 22 players who won't be in your team by the end if you need to.
To an extent I agree with the poster.

If you are picking someone like Dawson at his price, then you are planning to hold onto him all year long, therefore his week to week price fluctuations really shouldn't matter. Same with those selecting Docherty (he won't ever leave D1, with the exception of his bye round).

Value simply becomes a bonus incentive to pick a premium, and a way of splitting those 50/50 calls. If you believe they are comfortable Top 6/8 in their line then they are a good premium selection. If you also believe they have the potential to outscore what they are priced at, then the selection becomes a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back