List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Also I think we’re kidding ourselves if we think the problem will be solved by replacing the bottom 3-4 players in our best 22. Tbh two of the players mentioned played a big role for us last year and we finished 5th.

Does anyone actually think we’ll have a single player in the All Australian squad? Before the injury Darcy was maybe a chance but now I can’t see any of our players making it. I realise there’s more talent/competition in some parts of the ground than others but for me not having a single player in a squad of 40 for an 18 team competition shows the bigger problem this year.

Only Serong has consistently played like an A Grader even if he’s likely to fall a bit short of the All Australian squad. Outside of Walters and maybe Jackson I’m not sure any other experienced player on our list has actually played better footy this year than last year.

Of course Brayshaw is an A Grader at his best, as are Cox and Darcy. Ryan would be if he took the game on instead of being scared to make mistakes. Young, Clark and Pearce are also very good defenders on their day but that hasn’t come enough this year.

Blame the whipping boys as much as you like but until our so called A Graders actually play like A Graders consistently we’re not going anywhere. Along with us lacking experienced players in some very important roles, lack of A graders is the biggest reason why we’ve sucked so badly this year. No one other than the same very small group has stepped up.
I think replacing them AND our best 22 players finding form or improving would solve most of our problems.

Most of our best 22 are young so we should expect them to get better, the question is WTF happened this year, gonna be a big off season for the coaching staff.

I think replacing them AND our best 22 players finding form or improving would solve most of our problems.

Most of our best 22 are young so we should expect them to get better, the question is WTF happened this year, gonna be a big off season for the coaching staff.

Of course it’s part of the picture replacing our lesser players with better ones. I’m not arguing that at all.

I just think blaming the whipping boys is ignoring most of the real reasons we’ve been sh**e this year.

It wouldn’t be 5% of the reason we’ve dropped so far this year IMO.

I don't think Hayden Young is quick enough. If we could get a bit more size onto Jordan Clark over the summer I'd be more inclined to see him in there.
He’s the bloke we need to be getting onto the wing!
Carry and break lines, and can kick the ball further than 35m.
Already has the defensive side of the game covered.
Gutless JL shackling all the players down back not giving the forwards a chance

Of course it’s part of the picture replacing our lesser players with better ones. I’m not arguing that at all.

I just think blaming the whipping boys is ignoring most of the real reasons we’ve been sh**e this year.

It wouldn’t be 5% of the reason we’ve dropped so far this year IMO.
I think it a mix of both really. When Ethan Hughes was toiling away at Peel last year I thought he was done and dusted at AFL level. I’d have given you 100/1 odds last September that he would play 23 AFL games in 2023 but there you go.
I’d agree that guys like young, Brayshaw, Switta, Cox, are only operating at 60 or 70% of what they are capable of and that is something that is on all of them to fix for next year. I think you are correct that Serong is the only Fremantle player in the top 50 players in the AFL Right now.
At least today we got a reason from JL why Pearce has been so poor - he didn’t train all year. Worryingly it sounds like he can’t train like a normal AFL athlete. If that’s true, the obvious question is, is this a long term issue? Can he ever train at the required level again?

Cox & Darcy I'm not worried about.

Henry is like a 90% chance gone.

There's another name I'm worried about though that I've heard and it involves the other mob here..

He’s the bloke we need to be getting onto the wing!
Carry and break lines, and can kick the ball further than 35m.
Already has the defensive side of the game covered.
Gutless JL shackling all the players down back not giving the forwards a chance
Clark doesn't want to go to the wing. He is shackling himself.

I just don't think Aish should be in that category. He's had plenty of games executing different roles that have beein insturmental in wins.
I agree - bit rich from Barlow to say whilst we continue to play someone like Aish we’re going no where. Aish is a good player (pick 7 ND 2013, 158 games, averaging over 20 possessions and plays in multiple positions).

Fair comment on Banfield, Hughes, Wagner, Corbett. Although Wagner impressed me on Sat night.

Hughes and Banfield have a contract but they should be essentially filling depth roles like Hamling coming in for 3-4 games (break glass in case of emergency). Not regular players.

I think it a mix of both really. When Ethan Hughes was toiling away at Peel last year I thought he was done and dusted at AFL level. I’d have given you 100/1 odds last September that he would play 23 AFL games in 2023 but there you go.
I’d agree that guys like young, Brayshaw, Switta, Cox, are only operating at 60 or 70% of what they are capable of and that is something that is on all of them to fix for next year. I think you are correct that Serong is the only Fremantle player in the top 50 players in the AFL Right now.
At least today we got a reason from JL why Pearce has been so poor - he didn’t train all year. Worryingly it sounds like he can’t train like a normal AFL athlete. If that’s true, the obvious question is, is this a long term issue? Can he ever train at the required level again?

What concerns me a little is that we clearly aren’t using our depth as much as we probably should. If Pearce was injured - well we’ve seen Hamling is capable of filling in.

Hughes isn’t a bad player if he’s 25-28 on your list and playing 8-12 maximum. Thing is Chapman has been injured all year and Hughes hasn’t been bad enough to get dropped basically ever.

As we saw last year too much depth results in an exodus if they’d play more or in the position they want elsewhere. People on here act like top four teams have B Graders running around in the state leagues. If they do someone ends up leaving. Most depth players are either youngsters just coming through or footballers very much at the level of Hughes and Banfield.

Last edited:
Always thought Henry would love to play for a Melbourne team and enjoy the spotlight that came with it.

I’d be willing to wager that once he signs a big 4 year deal with a team like the doggies that he’ll drop off again.

If we can turn him into Brockman I’d call that a win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

a 3 way trade between Dogs Freo and Suns can get Freo a late first rounder? Suns have only 1 first rounder and so they cannot get eagles first. so only option is to downgrade
Dogs have 14 and 16 which will push down after bids and their F/S is before this range. Involving Henry and some of our this year picks there could be a deal that satisfy all parties.(Given Dogs interested in henry)Any suggestions?

Peter Bell was asked about our slow starts, and he suggested the clubs needs to address the player's arousal level before a game.

Sexy Look GIF

a 3 way trade between Dogs Freo and Suns can get Freo a late first rounder? Suns have only 1 first rounder and so they cannot get eagles first. so only option is to downgrade
Dogs have 14 and 16 which will push down after bids and their F/S is before this range. Involving Henry and some of our this year picks there could be a deal that satisfy all parties.(Given Dogs interested in henry)Any suggestions?
There's some merit to getting the Dogs later first round pick for Henry and our two thirds because they'd effectively get Henry for free once Croft is bid on. The problem would be them trading their two firsts for GC's which is a real possibility and something they'd likely prefer. If he picks them, you are better off hoping for their 2nd to avoid disappointment

WB 14, 16, 35
Freo Henry, 21, 40, 58
GC 5, 43, 56

Trade:
GC: 14, 21, 40
Freo: 16, 35, 43, 56
WB: Henry, 5, 58

Trade 43 for Brockman.

Go to the draft with:
16, 35, 48, 56

No other activities.

Last edited:
For real man. Too much time spent talking about this little bro, he's gone and isn't necessarily a big loss.

The main positive from this situation is we now have one less Colin Young player on our list.

He still manages our coach.

What can Colin Young do during trade week to help Longmuir get wins next year and save his job???

Does Colin even care??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
GC can get a better return for 5 I'd think but I suppose it's being pushed back up to three spots
I agree - GC can and will do better. Vimal wanted an effort so I gave some effort.
Only think I will say is that if GC do that trade with the dogs, we could then approach GC with a points package for one of those late firsts.
If Henry leaves, I’ll be disappointed if we don’t find a way to get into the mid teens with our first pick, even if it means giving up pick 21.
Our F2 could also be of value to help move up into this years later first round?

There's some merit to getting the Dogs later first round pick for Henry and our two thirds because they'd effectively get Henry for free once Croft is bid on. The problem would be them trading their two firsts for GC's which is a real possibility and something they'd likely prefer. If he picks them, you are better off hoping for their 2nd to avoid disappointment
Yes correct.in that case gold cost having 14 and 16 will have threat of being chewed by Walter Read and the 3rd academy player? ...I forgot his name ..... Will that be enough for points? We now have 21, 1 30s picks 2 40s picks right? Add dogs 2nd (30ish) . We can help them to increase points? Whenever we have bad season and disappointment our club tend to make fans excited by making a blockbuster trade which nobody expects. I am expecting us getting a late 1st round which can reduce these melts we are doing..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes correct.in that case gold cost having 14 and 16 will have threat of being chewed by Walter Read and the 3rd academy player? ...I forgot his name ..... Will that be enough for points? We now have 21, 1 30s picks 2 40s picks right? Add dogs 2nd (30ish) . We can help them to increase points? Whenever we have bad season and disappointment our club tend to make fans excited by making a blockbuster trade which nobody expects. I am expecting us getting a late 1st round which can reduce these melts we are doing..

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree. Pick 16 & 60 for Henry and 38 would be a decent result IMO and not completely unrealistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back