Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, this is making an appearance here also, and probably getting more useful as the season draws to a close and this discussion ramps up

Stanley has been a below average player for his entire career.
No he hasn’t.

You could argue that given his physical tools he might have underperformed compared to his potential, but in no universe has he been a below average player for his career.

He has probably been miscast as a bash and crash ruckman, when he could have been an elite mobile second ruck in the Luke Jackson role. But it is not his fault that we have asked him to undertake a role that he is not ideally suited to.

Imagine him in tandem with ottens….that would have been crazy good.

The only clubs that trade multiple first round picks to move up a handful of spots are the expansion clubs who literally have a factory line of 1st round talent that they endlessly spin. A top 10 pick automatically guarantees a return of a late 1st round pick within 4 years (at worst) before you realise some of them can’t play. They are happy to keep rinsing and repeating.

No Melbourne based team will be packaging up 2 first round picks for pick 7 which will probably be pick 10. That’s the trade price of a gun midfielder in their prime not a speculative mid 1st Rd pick

How many times does this have to be said?

THEY HAVE TO GET RID OF THE PICK. If the Bulldogs keep 17, and to a lesser extent 10, it'll be forced into the Croft bid.

Why would you do that, when you can trade out the picks to get a quality player, or get ahead of the bid?

Just gonna chime in here and say these picks are already earmarked for GC - so this whole scenario is moot.

Can't agree with Boris on Stanley. He's been a great servant of the club.

We lost those finals he mentions because too many Geelong players under-performed ie. they got Belows in the finals rather than Average or Above according to the stats and forensic analysis gurus.

Stanley may have been one of those those players on occasion but he had plenty of company.

2nd to dropping Aaron Lord for an underdone Bruns in the ‘92 finals for me.
And Sidebottom not getting on the bus to Waverley for a final and being replaced in the side by a bloke who had already smashed a few pies and a couple of frothies. Few versions of that story, but apparently someone forgot to tell the bus driver he had to stop on the freeway at Lara and pick him up.

Respectfully have to disagree that lord is a more exciting prospect than O Henry. Henry has much better exposed form, and has a far greater upside.

I don’t dislike lord, but you are selling Henry very short.
There is some real O Lord fanboys on here... or they could be fangirls because he's a good looking rooster.

They will be in for an O Lord moment the longer his career goes... Lol, you can read that as you like. ;)

What does the Adelaide Advertiser say about Xavier Duursma and his intentions with Essendon? Article uploaded 2 hours ago, but I can't access it...

Yes Bruns hardly touched it that day - I was there.

As for why we missed out this year - endless injuries, including during the game, age, missing shots on goal in games we might otherwise have won - the GCgame early on comes to mind. And often overlooked, improvement of other teams. Everything is relative.

As for continued talk about partying, lack of hunger, lack of fitness etc - this is all pointless and frankly cliched speculation.

Now that's a myth. Who exactly were these 6-9 best players that missed "half a season". I can find three:

• Cam Guthrie - played 6 games
  • Jack Henry - played 11 games
  • Rhys Stanley - played 13 games

Our best 18-19 was absolutely good enough to beat Melbourne, Port, Adelaide, and the Dogs. But our best 18-19 also lost to Gold Coast, St.Kilda, Port, and worst of all Fremantle at Geelong. Pretending it was due to injuries is denying reality.
Injuries, lack of preparation (mentally/physically), lack of hunger after finally winning the flag, lack of cohesion.

All relevant to losing some games where we just didn't look interested v winning big games because of big game players.

It will be a better year this year, but there are unknowns and as such the ceiling in regards to performance and position is difficult to know.

Th Bulldogs are not giving up a future first to move up three spots in the draft….

Particularly, when they are 50-50 to really fall over next year with an unhappy football department.

That is a very generous trade for Geelong.

They don't want to do the trade - Bid on Croft and they Lose 10+17

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realise that GC have 3 possible top academy kids so pick 10+17 won't be enough points to get all 3

They'll have more then enough points, they're starting with 4300. Even if the first bid comes at pick 2, the discount will do the heavy lifting. It is enough to match a 4,5,6 chain of bids

Last edited:
There is some real O Lord fanboys on here... or they could be fangirls because he's a good looking rooster.

They will be in for an O Lord moment the longer his career goes... Lol, you can read that as you like. ;)
Haven't you heard? Football ability is a relic of the past, our new plan is building the most handsome team possible and conquering the off-field endorsement market.

Ollie Lord, Bailey Smith, Archie Perkins...Might as well get Benny Cousins out of retirement too!! He's a local boy to boot!!

Expect a partnership with Garnier and Hugo Boss to be in the works over the coming weeks.

Our 'No Dickheads' policy has adapted to the 'No rude heads' policy

THEY HAVE TO GET RID OF THE PICK. If the Bulldogs keep 17, and to a lesser extent 10, it'll be forced into the Croft bid.

Why would you do that, when you can trade out the picks to get a quality player, or get ahead of the bid?

Yes, but they don’t have to trade them to us.

People seem to think we have all the leverage, there are 16 other clubs that can also offer them a deal. They’re far more likely to trade for pick 4 from GC which is a more balanced proposition

You've misinterpreted what that means. In any given week for around half of the season (in total), 6 (let's say 9 was an exagerration although it was around 9 for a month) best 22 players were missing. A different combination each week.

cats_09 had a nice table, although I think it was 2022 premiership players only. I can go through and do this for you if you are keen because you're right, I may have gotten it wrong to the exact number.

And we all know a few players were playing quite injured for a while. Look at all those early surgeries when we finally waved the white flag.

I think that list is on my iPad - currently on my phone so it doesn't help sorry 😆

But from memory, excluding Selwood who'd retired, of the remaining 22 premiership players on our list, the minimum we were missing from our playing 23 any given week was 3, which only happened 4 or 5 times during the season

Often we were missing closer to 4 or 5 premiership players each week, and we maxed out at missing 9 for at least one match (was that the Bulldogs at Marvel match?)

I know some argued we shouldn't count Parfitt in that missing players as he's was form related more than injury related, but at the end of the say he still wasn't playing

And as someone else mentioned subsequent to your post, we were at times playing guys who maybe weren't quite right as we had limited options. We had one VFL match where Copper Whyte's 1/4 match against the Blues, made him the most experienced currently listed AFL player in our VFL team that week - the following week it was Dempsey who took over that honour as he'd played a couple of games

One thing amongst all this that some seem to be conveniently forgetting is that the injuries weren't just to our best 22/23 players and then our youngster, but we had a number of injuries to those in the 24th -> 32nd on the list group. That meant when a best 22 guy went out, it wasn't exactly the next guy coming in, but the guy who was a few more rungs down the list coming in

I think that list is on my iPad - currently on my phone so it doesn't help sorry 😆

But from memory, excluding Selwood who'd retired, of the remaining 22 premiership players on our list, the minimum we were missing from our playing 23 any given week was 3, which only happened 4 or 5 times during the season

Often we were missing closer to 4 or 5 premiership players each week, and we maxed out at missing 9 for at least one match (was that the Bulldogs at Marvel match?)

I know some argued we shouldn't count Parfitt in that missing players as he's was form related more than injury related, but at the end of the say he still wasn't playing

And as someone else mentioned subsequent to your post, we were at times playing guys who maybe weren't quite right as we had limited options. We had one VFL match where Copper Whyte's 1/4 match against the Blues, made him the most experienced currently listed AFL player in our VFL team that week - the following week it was Dempsey who took over that honour as he'd played a couple of games

One thing amongst all this that some seem to be conveniently forgetting is that the injuries weren't just to our best 22/23 players and then our youngster, but we had a number of injuries to those in the 24th -> 32nd on the list group. That meant when a best 22 guy went out, it wasn't exactly the next guy coming in, but the guy who was a few more rungs down the list coming in
I think Geelong arguably have the deepest 30 players based on talent and experience. Beyond that I think it becomes a struggle, as it does for most clubs. Collingwood would be a pretty average outfit if they took out 4-5 of their best 10 over 10-12 weeks of footy and had to expose the next crop.......which I don't think stacks up in comparison to ours.

Let's see how much luck we get next season, and how much other teams (in contention) cop a sustained run of injuries to key players. I think the outcome would be similar to what we saw this year - arguably worse. There's no truer saying than you needing to have a bit of luck to win flags. We saw first hand what a difference 12 months makes in that regard.

Does all that mean we win it next year - no it doesn't. But if we get a reasonable run with injuries and a few contenders cop a harder run with theirs - then I think we'd be sitting in that top 4 bracket and back in contention. And then there's the fixture....yes folks it's a fixture not a draw. Surely we get a softer outcome thanks to a 12th placed finish......we're due.

Really good points.

I've been trying to think of a comparison of what we can expect next year, and from recent years this is the best one I can find.

I feel like we're approaching a stage that Port where at in 2020 & 2021, particularly if we end up with 7 & 28, or split it for 3 picks within 20 or 30.

We're going to have the young group coming through: Holmes, SDK, Bruhn, Henry, Clark, Conway, pick 7 etc much like how they had Butters, Rozee, Georgiades, Bergman etc coming through.

But we're also going to have the players at the other end: Danger, Hawk, Jez, Guthrie etc much like how they had Boak, Jonas, Ebert, Rockliff, Dixon, Gray etc.

It puts you in this weird window where everything has to click, and that was the question mark for them too.

You need the kids to develop really quickly and the old guys to still play reliable, quality football if you are to pinch a flag. It's not the prototypical list build that wins premierships, as you're both really old and really young at the same time.

It's both past your time, and before your time simultaneously...but we're seeing more and more of these teams win flags (Collingwood another example)

It's a short period that may only last a year or two, and then you're waiting a few years until the kids are the prime movers and they've replaced the retired senior players.

However, I do believe with a bit of injury luck we could potentially pull it off.

It's going to take a couple of youngsters playing above their age, and the older guys maintaining form, but with a proper pre-season and good run with injury it is possible.

Dogs strongly linked to GC P4 .... P10 , P17 and Fr1

GC then will trade 10 and perhaps 17 for more picks (DVI points)

My personal assessment of our list only (understand opinions differ):

1696563354526.png

1696563341954.png

Based on this, I'd be looking for a KPD and ruckman in the trade period/free agency. A huge chunk of our list is in the midfield, at the draft (with later picks) we should look at beefing up KPD and forward stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back