Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion Data segment on SEN this afternoon had this little snippet of data: when Will Day attends centre bounces we are 54 ahead in clearance wins, the seventh best result Champion Data has ever recorded for a midfielder.
Super impressive by him. What’s interesting is that out of our main four mids is that he’s the lowest of the four with centre clearances per cba with 10.1%. Behind Worps (16.3%), Duke (13.9%) and Nash (11.0%).

I think what he does so well is help us convert first possessions to clearances as well as limit opposition clearances through his positioning and pressure. He also always draws a man as he’s so dangerous if left unattended which limits his direct opponent getting clearances.

Super impressive by him. What’s interesting is that out of our main four mids is that he’s the lowest of the four with centre clearances per cba with 10.1%. Behind Worps (16.3%), Duke (13.9%) and Nash (11.0%).

I think what he does so well is help us convert first possessions to clearances as well as limit opposition clearances through his positioning and pressure. He also always draws a man as he’s so dangerous if left unattended which limits his direct opponent getting clearances.

Have you not noticed? Our CC there is a clear strategy to have one player always block the zone (and facing the zone) to where we think the hitout will go to, effectively taking out an opposition player out, and creating a pseudo 4 v 3.

Day, and Nash are generally happy or systematically to be the first to do this block.

Have you not noticed? Our CC there is a clear strategy to have one player always block the zone (and facing the zone) to where we think the hitout will go to, effectively taking out an opposition player out, and creating a pseudo 4 v 3.

Day, and Nash are generally happy or systematically to be the first to do this block.

The classic block-and-go (just made that up), which is thr equivalent of the pick-and-roll in the NBA.

Nash/Day block an opponent allowing Worpel/Newcombe to collect the ball. Nash/Day then move off their blocked opponent who is not in position or has been sucked in, and then the ball gets dished out to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First viewing of his draft highlights did not impress me at all. Second viewing blew me away.

He used the ball so well in such a smart and subtle way that eluded me on the first watch bc I was looking for eye catching highlights.

Skinny kid winning contested ball and ALWAYS using it well, putting it to advantage, even when under pressure.

He’s maturing into the champ we dreamed of and he’s just getting started.

He was a bit of a draft Bolter so hat tip to Sleepy Mark™️

If he needs the whole year so be it, just get the foot right

escalated-quickly-anchorman.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back