Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine if Boak had decided to * off to Geelong. You know what draft pick we would have received for him? Due to GWS compromising the draft, we would have got Pick 16 + change.

With Pick 16, we don’t make finals in 2013/2014, Robbie Gray probably leaves for Victoria for a chance to play finals and we are up s**t creek, becoming nothing more than a perpetual revolving door where we don’t have enough talent to challenge for a flag but not having the market to make us being successful a priority for the AFL (ala Brisbane). Any move to AO wouldn’t have made a difference without having a side that made the experience a positive one.

So yeah, Hinkley is right when he says that Boak sort of saved the club.
So you're saying we would have ended up finishing near the bottom in 2014 and picked up Christian Petracca? As well as finally having an evidence base to get a better coach in not long after?

Bottoming out is the pathway to most flags. Few teams make it by just treading water in mediocrity before having a lucky season where everything goes perfectly.

'ala Brisbane'? The Brisbane which just made the Grand Final last year?

Do you read your posts before you post them?
The Brisbane who received a draft assistance package of an extra end of first round draft pick back in 2016 after winning 7 games in two seasons, yes. Which is what I was referring to. We would have never gotten that because a) we aren’t in Victoria where having 10 clubs means that there is a financial incentive for the AFL to keep stragglers like North relevant and b) we aren’t in a growth market like NSW or Queensland.

Where was our draft assistance package in 2012? That’s right, it was nowhere.

The Brisbane who received a draft assistance package of an extra end of first round draft pick back in 2016 after winning 7 games in two seasons, yes. Which is what I was referring to. We would have never gotten that because a) we aren’t in Victoria where having 10 clubs means that there is a financial incentive for the AFL to keep stragglers like North relevant and b) we aren’t in a growth market like NSW or Queensland.

Where was our draft assistance package in 2012? That’s right, it was nowhere.

It was traded to West Coast for Brad Ebert dingus

So you're saying we would have ended up finishing near the bottom in 2014 and picked up Christian Petracca? As well as finally having an evidence base to get a better coach in not long after?

Bottoming out is the pathway to most flags. Few teams make it by just treading water in mediocrity before having a lucky season where everything goes perfectly.
Losing Boak and Gray and gaining Petracca is not a net gain. Sides win premierships because they add the talent of youth to a list that is already capable of making finals, improving the list as a whole.

It was traded to West Coast for Brad Ebert dingus
That was the 2011 draft. And it wasn’t assistance - it was compensation for losing Krakouer to Gold Coast I believe.

Losing Boak and Gray and gaining Petracca is not a net gain. Sides win premierships because they add the talent of youth to a list that is already capable of making finals, improving the list as a whole.
Boak and Gray's combined premiership total is ZERO, whereas Billy Frampton, Mason Cox, et al are al premiership players.

Regardless, I think you've missed the most laughable thing about the Hinkley statement which is his poor grammar and effectively stating the club isn't actually saved, but it nearly is

I'd say its generally the exact opposite.

They develop some key drafted pieces and then when they are on the cusp they bring in the experience to fill the gaps.

In essence exactly what we've done this year - allowed for elite talent like Rozee, Houston and Butters to develop then add in blokes like BZT and Soldo to fill the final gaps.

The difference and problem being that the other crucial piece you need is a coach that can make a club play as more than the sum of its parts in big games, which its clear we unfortunately don't have yet.

That's why I say if we had bottomed out in 2014 or 2015, it would have been far better for the club as we could have a better coach now, while still hitting those drafts to build up the high end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We had an end of first round assistance pick in 2011 which we used on Ebert. The Krakouer compo was a rd 2 pick.
Ah I see. I knew the AFL removed priority pick compensation in 2012, but was confused as to why Adelaide had a priority pick around the same time and assumed it was to do with the end of first round Bock compensation. We got the tail end of the old system. My mistake.

I'd say its generally the exact opposite.

They develop some key drafted pieces and then when they are on the cusp they bring in the experience to fill the gaps.

In essence exactly what we've done this year - allowed for elite talent like Rozee, Houston and Butters to develop then add in blokes like BZT and Soldo to fill the final gaps.

The difference and problem being that the other crucial piece you need is a coach that can make a club play as more than the sum of its parts in big games, which its clear we unfortunately don't have yet.

That's why I say if we had bottomed out in 2014 or 2015, it would have been far better for the club as we could have a better coach now, while still hitting those drafts to build up the high end talent.
Yeah, generally a team bottoms out so to speak and picks up draft picks for a few years in a row and gets in young talent. There are usually a smattering of one club quality veterans still on the list who are around from the last rebuild. As the team develops, you bring in via trade or if lucky, by draft, players who fill in the holes. The window should start around Year 7 or Year 8 after depending on different things.

It doesn't always work that way but that is the classic way like our rebuild at the moment with its centra of gravity being in 2018 with Rozee and Butters or Geelong's Dynasty with the centre of gravity in 1999-2002 drafts of a constellation of stars or the recent Melbourne rebuild that centres around the 2013 -2015 drafts of Oliver, Petracca, Brayshaw, Salem, Hunt and just outside Viney.

As stated, the coaching helps a lot and tries to get the most out of players the fastest and be a bit harsh and drops players that can't quite fill the required role they demand. That's my issue with playing McEntee and Evans. I would prefer a young player with potential coming into the side than hoping these guys fill a role.

I'm worried about the Giants because they are hitting their window with us and they have a lot of talent and a very good coach. I'm also eyeing off the Gold Coast because of their coach and quality talent as well. They will take a while but will start to rise up soon enough. I am think the Kangaroos rebuild is looking good. They need some tall timber but their mids are elite. And since 2020, St Kilda has drafted very well and they could ascend but don't have the overall talent yet.

Interestingly the Collingwood and recent Geelong flags were built more heavily through free agency and trading. They might be the two teams most players want to play for. Lucky them.

It's just desperate reinforcing of the Kock / Ken / Boak narrative that they saved the club from extinction

The deification of these clowns is disgusting

We were never going to Tassie
We were never going to become the Southern Power
The move to AO conceived and implemented by the previous admin turned around our financials
The move to AO refreshed our supporter base and increased attendances - see above
The Energy Australia sponsorship fell in their lap courtesy of LR
The China move was served up on a platter by LR
The MG sponsorship off the back of the China initiative was sealed by a clever bit of thinking by D Cahill
The re-development of Alberton is almost all public money

It is nearly all smoke and mirrors cleverly spun by snake oil salesmen
I don't go deep into these things but two things are apparent to me.

There have been much worse teams than us since our problems and they were/are bailed out.
The problems we had were more related to a bad, parasitic relationship with the SANFL and the stadium deals, etc.

I remember Geelong having an awesome stadium deal and so they prospered but we had more members and more people showing up to games but a bad deal and were being bled dry.

I would love to hear a few people in the know on this subject because it would blow out of water this idea that people saved this club.

I don't go deep into these things but two things are apparent to me.

There have been much worse teams than us since our problems and they were/are bailed out.
The problems we had were more related to a bad, parasitic relationship with the SANFL and the stadium deals, etc.

I remember Geelong having an awesome stadium deal and so they prospered but we had more members and more people showing up to games but a bad deal and were being bled dry.

I would love to hear a few people in the know on this subject because it would blow out of water this idea that people saved this club.

YES

It's totally unknowable what the outcome would have been had Boak and Gray left at the end of 2012 and someone other than Hinkley been appointed coach. The alternate timeline could have resulted in premierships or wooden spoons or anything in between. The only knowable is what actually happened which is a whole lot of huff and puff which has ultimately led to nothing.

we were so scared of losing boak. the club has told that story so many times, they've made it sound so scary, the famous and great "geelong delegation" coming down and wooing travis, how on earth did we defeat "the greatest team of all" in a negotiation? in fact i bet this is the main story they will tell building up to 350 lol. they could get actors to reenact the conversation and play it at half time on the big screen. fear has dictated too much for the club for too long

It's totally unknowable what the outcome would have been had Boak and Gray left at the end of 2012 and someone other than Hinkley been appointed coach. The alternate timeline could have resulted in premierships or wooden spoons or anything in between. The only knowable is what actually happened which is a whole lot of huff and puff which has ultimately led to nothing.
What we know with 100% certainty is that we wouldnt have won less flags in the last decade if Boak had left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back