Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was hoping for huge things from Burton after his breakout year, but this year he was pretty rank I thought.

Wondered if there was something more going on than just ‘second year blues’. He looked really tentative throughout, and often seemed to be just jogging around the fringes of contests - not sure if there was a confidence problem, injury or something.

Then late in the year we started seeing flashes of the old Burton, and I was hoping next year would be right back on track.

But then looking at the trade, Wingard is already the finished product and top drawer... plus I really don’t put a lot of stock on draft picks, given you’ve no guarantee you’ll get someone good anyway. They seem more relevant as a unit of currency, and we’re using one to buy an upgrade from a possible future star to an existing star.

Seems like just more good business from the HFC. And if our past trading is anything to go by, Port should be really concerned that Burton is going to turn out to be faulty merchandise.

With Burton becoming the sacrificial lamb to nab the Chad, I for one will still be cheering him on next year.

I'd hope our supporters keep cheering him when we play Port. Hope he goes well.
Cheer for an opposition player when they play against us? Not happening.

Best you'll get would be cheering for him when they play any other team but us, and being happy for him for what ever he achieves there. (when it's not at our direct expense)

Since when is he a future captain? I’ve never once heard a thing about his leadership potential.

Ryan has done very little wrong since joining the club, and has shown poise and maturity beyond his age, so from afar he does look like a potential captain candidate particularly with upcoming retirements to Roughead and Smith in the next couple of years.

He's already a very good player at 21. Of course nothing is guaranteed and individual development is not always linear, but all things being equal, the likelihood of him becoming a much better player with more experience, is more probable than not.

Good luck to him. I really like the way he plays his footy and he has undoubted talent. On balance, if Port Adelaide gets him & pick 15, in return for Wingard, they should be pretty happy. Of course we won't know how this is going to play out until 2-3 years time...

Ryan has done very little wrong since joining the club, and has shown poise and maturity beyond his age, so from afar he does look like a potential captain candidate particularly with upcoming retirements to Roughead and Smith in the next couple of years.

He's already a very good player at 21. Of course nothing is guaranteed and individual development is not always linear, but all things being equal, the likelihood of him becoming a much better player with more experience, is more probable than not.

Good luck to him. I really like the way he plays his footy and he has undoubted talent. On balance, if Port Adelaide gets him & pick 15, in return for Wingard, they should be pretty happy. Of course we won't know how this is going to play out until 2-3 years time...

Yeah, nah. Never once heard him mentioned as a leadership candidate. Doesn’t remotely show leadership on the field. Talented, yes. Leader, no. Talent doesn’t equal leadership - Cyril was freakishly talented but you wouldn’t make him captain of your side.

Yeah, nah. Never once heard him mentioned as a leadership candidate. Doesn’t remotely show leadership on the field. Talented, yes. Leader, no. Talent doesn’t equal leadership - Cyril was freakishly talented but you wouldn’t make him captain of your side.

Also I can’t forget that rather embarrassing footage of Hodge telling him off for being un-Hawthorn in the team song. No big deal in the overall scheme of a career, but it didn’t exactly scream out “straight to the leadership group”, did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back