Opinion Best 22 for 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

He thinks it’s a dilemma. If it isn’t great. It’s not guaranteed that he’ll be better value up forward.

Don’t mind Cornes, he makes some good points.

I find he can be a bit fisherman at times ..chumming the water .. but he puts it out there. and obviously he knows whats more likely to get the phones ringing... Selwood accross HB yeah good idea..but I think I will give the air play to Ablett in the forwardline ..more fuel for the fire in that discussion..

Overall what he said was basically fair enough. GA has never shown he is capable of being a legit forward..till he does its questionable.

Of course some of the stuff he said is convenient for his argument and some id say is not even correct.. not every one of GA possessions are great possessions for eg. ...certainly not last year.

A lot will depend on the way we play. If we have an open forwardline and we kick it to his advantage it could be an interesting to see how it pans out.He probably needs a couple of bags of 3 or 4 to give it stamp of credibility and make backman respectful.

Current thoughts

B. Stewart Blicavs Bews
HB. O'Connor Taylor Henry
C. Tuohy Selwood Duncan
HF. Kelly Hawkins Dahlhaus
F. Ablett Cockatoo Ratagolea
R. Stanley Dangerfield Parfitt
I. Henderson Rohan Menegola Fort
E. S.Selwood Guthrie Kolo
Ready to pounce at positions
Clark Narkle Constable Z. Smith Krueger, Abbott Atkins
Development into Miers, Simpson, Zuthrie, Tarca, Jarvis, Kennerley, Okunbor, Buzza

Current thoughts

B. Stewart Blicavs Bews
C. Tuohy Selwood Duncan
Development into Miers, Simpson, Zuthrie, Tarca, Jarvis, Kennerley, Okunbor, Buzza
I'm pretty much using the same 22 for now,the only changes being I could't fit both Taylor and Henderson in the one side and went with Henderson the younger and I didn't pick O'Connor,I went Cunico and Narkle.

I'm pretty much using the same 22 for now,the only changes being I could't fit both Taylor and Henderson in the one side and went with Henderson the younger and I didn't pick O'Connor,I went Cunico and Narkle.
I'm really liking that the depth is solid. They are easing the oldies and perpetually injured into the season. Makes me hopeful a review actually occurred.
Love Narkle and think he'll be a beauty for Geelong.
Hoping Cunico will become a better scully.
Just dont want to throw excessive expectation on them unless they are ready.
I really liked O'Connors output last year. Think he'll be good for us too.
Very hopeful some energy will reemerge with gfc.
Cockatoo has all my wishes for an injury free season. He could be a gem

Current thoughts

B. Stewart Blicavs Bews
C. Tuohy Selwood Duncan
Jeezus Larry with your pedigree and all you are putting Nakia FF?

Jeezus Larry with your pedigree and all you are putting Nakia FF?
Come on Gavin. With the new rules for pushing in the back and Nakia's pace out of the square, combined with his injury record, I thought straight line leading would give both his injuries a chance and either make it Hawk's or Ratagolea's paddock in the goal front.
It's catering to the new world of 6_6_6
I also dont want Cocky to be the new Paul Lynch

Come on Gavin. With the new rules for pushing in the back and Nakia's pace out of the square, combined with his injury record, I thought straight line leading would give both his injuries a chance and either make it Hawk's or Ratagolea's paddock in the goal front.
I admire your optimism

He has to double his meagre 30 games to get anywhere near the excellent former #18.

Last edited:
I thought Lynchy was 18.
Anyway, I loved Lynch. His hammies cursed him to the end, but Cocky has magic too. Who will stop him on the lead with 6 6 6 positions.
Spot on, #18. I think Oysters was 13, Paul Sarah, not sure why I wrote 13 for Lynchy.
There were consecutive games in late June/early July 1997, where he had nearly 30 possessions, 3 goals each game, BOG, and he looked like one of our best ever players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, #18. I think Oysters was 13, Paul Sarah, not sure why I wrote 13 for Lynchy.
There were consecutive games in late June/early July 1997, where he had nearly 30 possessions, 3 goals each game, BOG, and he looked like one of our best ever players.
Sarah was a favourite of mine. I had this thing about number 13 being my lucky number (lived at no 13!).
Also liked small forwards and rovers, especially if they knew how to sneak goals.

Absolutely. Without injuries he could have been anything. Would love to have his skill in the team now.

Sarah was a favourite of mine. I had this thing about number 13 being my lucky number (lived at no 13!).
Also liked small forwards and rovers, especially if they knew how to sneak goals.
I lived in #14 and love David Clarke. Didnt like him as much later on though. But he was a very fine footballer. That prelim final against Collingwood in the 90s when we had no rickman available and Clarke and Michael Turner went so close to dragging us over the line. Brilliant performances!

I lived in #14 and love David Clarke. Didnt like him as much later on though. But he was a very fine footballer. That prelim final against Collingwood in the 90s when we had no rickman available and Clarke and Michael Turner went so close to dragging us over the line. Brilliant performances!
You were across the road from me!!!

Especially given their age.

90's ? Would it be 1980 ?

Turner in particular was magnificent that game in 1980.
Clarke was a class act at his best. Beautiful disposal which was bizarre that his 2 sons were both so ordinary with theirs, despite them being very quick and brilliant all-round athletes.

Clarke was a class act at his best. Beautiful disposal which was bizarre that his 2 sons were both so ordinary with theirs, despite them being very quick and brilliant all-round athletes.

Clarke’s last game for us was 26 touches and 2 goals when Carlton beat us by 40 pts in 2SF in 1981.

Pretty sure he was dropped for the PF and left the club to head to the Blues for a year.

Yes, Turner took Ricky Barham to the cleaners. Took one of the best Mark's I've ever seen from a winger.
Clarke game was brilliant because he almost took on a tall man's role. Stiff to lose and if we got over the line would have pushed for the flag. Gutted that day and was there with a family of pies fans

Last edited:

Vdubs .... its funny looking at this stuff... I remember being at this game on the outer wing at Waverley ...yet the I look at the game on youtube and its just a glimpse here or there that I remember ...Turner played so well... yet I loo at the way it was played and by modern standards it was so less structured ..and so inherently mistake ridden ..so often just kicking to opposition... these sides really would play so different with todays methodology.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back