Certified Legendary Thread šŸ† COLLINGWOOD 2023 PREMIERS šŸ†

Remove this Banner Ad

You are missing the point Timmy. The umpires were damned if they did call it back & damned if they didnā€™t.
ā€˜The commentators & fans screaming for the ball to come back to Neale, would have also screamed if the umpires had called it back after a Brisbane mark. Advantage can only be given for so long.

Fair enough but you speculated on what would have happened if the ball was marked. Different scenario completely. I wasnā€™t missing the point, you missed the mark making the point. They would not call the ball back in that scenario.

Fair enough but you speculated on what would have happened if the ball was marked. Different scenario completely. I wasnā€™t missing the point, you missed the mark making the point. They would not call the ball back in that scenario.
I donā€™t know why I bothered. :rolleyes:

I disagree that the opening goal free to Daicos was marginal. The initial contact, maybe, but the secondary contact by our man Berry was very obviously high.

I'm not sure the question by oppo supporters was whether there was high contact. That's an objective fact that there was.

I think the question was whether Daicos ducked/lowered himself/initiated the contact.

In isolation, we've seen Ginnivan cop those frequently and not get them. During the entire finals series they weren't really paying those much so maybe Daicos has very quickly become a bit of a golden child with the umps (which is fine, it's been a long time since we've had one).

But given the wider context of a Brisbane player getting a near identical free only a minute earlier? Had to pay it.

I'm not sure the question by oppo supporters was whether there was high contact. That's an objective fact that there was.

I think the question was whether Daicos ducked/lowered himself/initiated the contact.

In isolation, we've seen Ginnivan cop those frequently and not get them. During the entire finals series they weren't really paying those much so maybe Daicos has very quickly become a bit of a golden child with the umps (which is fine, it's been a long time since we've had one).

But given the wider context of a Brisbane player getting a near identical free only a minute earlier? Had to pay it.

giphy.gif

But on the secondary contact he was just whacked in the head. If he lowered himself thatā€™s one thing, it can force a tackle high as may have happened with the initial contact. But when contact is initiated to the head and only the head, it tends to be an auto-call unless itā€™s a player ducking his head and ramming into a bloke (Gardiner did this to Cox and still got a free, and Cox got a fine and was too hung over to contest it).

I think I have a form of football related PTSD (not meaning to diminish those with genuine PTSD).

Despite being confident about winning, I was also very anxious and worried it wouldnā€™t happen. Worked myself up to quite a state on the day - and that feeling hasnā€™t left me hence my reluctance to revisit the game by watching the replay.

Think Iā€™ll come good in about January.šŸ˜³
This describes my GF expereince exactly!
Was confident all week. Saw moments that led me to believe we would prevail but I was so stressed and suffering so much anxiety from past 'failures' that I was a nervous wreck! Still in disbelief that we won and I still haven't watched a replay as I still get anxious. I am hearing that this was one of thegreatest grand finals to watch but I suspect that it may be month, or even years, before I will be able to truly enjoy it.

I get it. We carry scars and they are real. I was sick all Saturday morning and the same when at the ground. Kiss distracted me momentarily but lord that game tested my anxiety levels. The last minute and a half were excruciating. One of my mates started screaming we've got it when Checkers took that mark and I was refusing to believe it. A smother, a turnover....who knows what new demonic method we may have invented to lose another flag!! But I have watched the game a few times, felt the anxiety but also the euphoria each time the siren sounds!

Those two freak goals in the last few minutes are simply the stuff dreams are made of!
I understand completely. I was screaming at Matthews in 1990 when he came down the race pumping his fists "It's too soon! It's too soon!" I have suffreed through so many defeats that I cannot relax until the final siren goes. The last five minutes of 2010 (replay) was the exception.

I donā€™t deal in hypotheticals but thatā€™s a pretty silly one. I donā€™t ever recall a ball called back in that scenario before.
An AJ mark was last year. I think it was in the QF. The umpire isn't menat to adjudicate on whether it is advanageous. At the point of Bailey kicking, the umpire decides whether the player had time to "take advantage" or whether it's just a hack kick because the whistle had gone too recently with the player not having time to stop kicking it.

This describes my GF expereince exactly!
Was confident all week. Saw moments that led me to believe we would prevail but I was so stressed and suffering so much anxiety from past 'failures' that I was a nervous wreck! Still in disbelief that we won and I still haven't watched a replay as I still get anxious. I am hearing that this was one of thegreatest grand finals to watch but I suspect that it may be month, or even years, before I will be able to truly enjoy it.

I think as a neutral it would be good to watch.
I've watched the replay once and enjoyed it, but that's enough. Watching live I was collapsed on the floor in tears, as I've seen others were on YouTube videos.

I think I have a form of football related PTSD (not meaning to diminish those with genuine PTSD).

Despite being confident about winning, I was also very anxious and worried it wouldnā€™t happen. Worked myself up to quite a state on the day - and that feeling hasnā€™t left me hence my reluctance to revisit the game by watching the replay.

Think Iā€™ll come good in about January.šŸ˜³

Yeah i feel much the same. My overwhelming feeling was just relief that we had not had another one snatched from us. I have watched the replay a couple of times though.
They are so hard to win. Back to back would be a dream. I believe the best Collingwood team I have seen in my time was in 2011. We smashed everybody all that year, except for bloody &^$#@ing Geelong.
I recall 1990 and the big drought ending, and the boys partied so hard and for so long afterwards we were never going to win in 1991. I'd like to think we will be contending again in 2024, with JDG and the Daicos boys now among the elite of the comp giving us a seriously potent midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i feel much the same. My overwhelming feeling was just relief that we had not had another one snatched from us. I have watched the replay a couple of times though.
They are so hard to win. Back to back would be a dream. I believe the best Collingwood team I have seen in my time was in 2011. We smashed everybody all that year, except for bloody &^$#@ing Geelong.
I recall 1990 and the big drought ending, and the boys partied so hard and for so long afterwards we were never going to win in 1991. I'd like to think we will be contending again in 2024, with JDG and the Daicos boys now among the elite of the comp giving us a seriously potent midfield.
Just want to beat Carlton and Essendon to 17.

Just on the advantage non call. Picture for one minute that Daniher marked that kick & then the umps called it back as a non advantage call. Imagine the outrage then?
Iā€™ve been saying that for weeks now. My lions supporting cousin started whinging about it and I said it to him, got 5 seconds of silence and then said well it would have clearly been advantage if heā€™d marked it!

You canā€™t have it both ways dickhead!

Iā€™ve been saying that for weeks now. My lions supporting cousin started whinging about it and I said it to him, got 5 seconds of silence and then said well it would have clearly been advantage if heā€™d marked it!

I am just glad that for once it was not us on the back of a questionable call in a GF.

Even so, nobody knows what would have happened if the kick was called back. So all the whining is pointless.

See you understood where I was coming from with my post. Went right over Timmy's head & apparently that was totally my fault. :)

You are missing the point Timmy. The umpires were damned if they did call it back & damned if they didnā€™t.
ā€˜The commentators & fans screaming for the ball to come back to Neale, would have also screamed if the umpires had called it back after a Brisbane mark. Advantage can only be given for so long.
Yep. The umpire no longer decides whether it is advantageous - the player's either stop to take a free kick or they take advantage by continuing the play. The umpire decides if the player has chosen to continue the play after a whistle. It was a tough call, but I think the umpire probably got it right.

I am just glad that for once it was not us on the back of a questionable call in a GF.

Even so, nobody knows what would have happened if the kick was called back. So all the whining is pointless.
Neale would of lobbed it 10m out from goal and we would of rebounded to the other end and kicked a goal and won by 10. Case closed

I made the fatal error of calling a dickhead a dickhead on the main board. I stand by my call. šŸ˜‚

Welcome back legend! You took shrapnel for the rest of us.

We were going to organise a hero's welcome for you but Walt spent the $80 on strippers and kebabs. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Welcome back legend! You took shrapnel for the rest of us.

We were going to organise a hero's welcome for you but Walt spent the $80 on strippers and kebabs. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Crikey after a few bucks on kebabs he must have went budget on the strippers. A ā€œmateā€ told me a lap dance is nudging a 100 bucks now too

Certified Legendary Thread šŸ† COLLINGWOOD 2023 PREMIERS šŸ†

Remove this Banner Ad

Back