Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.
This ! love him

Lucky to be playing tonight after the cameras missed a blatant jumper punch last week but I'll take all the luck we can get at the moment.

Hope he spends all of next preseason working on his fitness and kicking. Would make him the full package. Just so clean by hand, so strong down low, great vision. Just needs to get it more and use it better by foot and he'll be elite.
I think he's pretty fit, compartment syndrome aside, he's back to full boar ahead!

Basically saved our season right there Goddard kicks that outside 50 we lose.
Looking back, it was an extraordinary brain fade by Goddard to play on to himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Papley, he is an absolute gun. Last year he was just good, this year he has been amazing. His pressure, drive, good mark in spite of his size. Kid is fantastic to watch
DE5bA6dVwAAEMV1.jpg:large

Papley's played 13 games this year and kicked at least one goal in 12 of them. Last time he was goalless was round 7 against the Lions. Still can't believe we seemed to struggle for so long to have a gun small forward then instantly found one accidentally.

Beatson only seems to get flak for the picks he stuffed up ages ago, picked out a real gem on Papley.

This kid is living the dream!
Two years ago he was an apprentice plumber. He gets picked up in the rookie draft by the team both his grandfather's played for and he passionately supported, so impressive in the pre-season that he gets to debut in round 1 of his first year and plays 20 games including a grand final! No second year blues for this boy, comes out in his second year and is even more dangerous!
Sounds like a script for a movie!

Beatson only seems to get flak for the picks he stuffed up ages ago, picked out a real gem on Papley.

Beatson rightfully gets s**t for his first round picks - after all, the more talented players tend to be available then, and are often the ones who go on to win B&F's and Brownlows - but you couldn't possibly give him s**t for the value we have got from his 3rd/4th round and rookie selections. It's a pretty stunning record in that respect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back